Confirmed Signing with Link: [CBJ] F Sean Monahan signs with the Blue Jackets (5 years, $5.5M AAV)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Right... because 7 years at $7.75 is a much better deal with the young center depth coming up. SMH

I think too many of you are on here to complain and show just how right you can be. There is no good Day 1 UFA contract. Yet you want to throw out another option that is actually worse. Coming off a worse year, same age, longer term and more money...yet the Monahan deal is terrible.

Please tell me why Lindholm would have been better. I'll hang up and listen...
Because he's a significantly better overall center

So instead of spending $25M for a 50pt player whose contract will expire when all of our youth are entering their prime, we should be spending 50M for a player who produces less and will still carry a massive cap hit right when we need to sign our future?
Lindholm is a better and more productive player, one season doesn't change that.
And if we missed out on Lindholm and Ottawa matches the offer sheet, what then?
Then don't sign a center. Some of the best moves are the ones you don't make. Do you really think Monahan is the difference between making or missing the playoffs?

Reactions: Viqsi

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Lindholm is a better and more productive player, one season doesn't change that.

Then don't sign a center. Some of the best moves are the ones you don't make. Do you really think Monahan is the difference between making or missing the playoffs?

Lindholm turns 30 this season, I would not want to pay him into his age 36 season. For Columbus' purposes, Lindholm would be a worse choice than Monahan.

Honestly, the best option if Columbus absolutely wanted to add a center is make a trade for Pageau.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137

Obviously he's not by himself, going to take a lottery team to the playoffs, absolutely nobody is saying that. What they are doing is allowing some buffer room between rookies just entering the league and them being thrown into first line minutes and responsibilities.

Having new players, a new coach and a new system in place for the entire off-season and not having a coach fired the week before the season and having a new coach take over with absolutely zero prep time is going to make a difference on how the team lives next year more than anyone signing will.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Obviously he's not by himself, going to take a lottery team to the playoffs, absolutely nobody is saying that. What they are doing is allowing some buffer room between rookies just entering the league and them being thrown into first line minutes and responsibilities.
I see no reason why Jenner couldn't continue to hold down the 1C duties? He's a better all around center than Monahan.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Lindholm turns 30 this season, I would not want to pay him into his age 36 season. For Columbus' purposes, Lindholm would be a worse choice than Monahan.
I'd rather risk paying Lindholm until he's 36 than Monahan until he's 34. He's proven to be way more durable and can be played in all situations and positions. He's played 70 more games in the last 5 seasons while being significantly more productive in that span.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Do you not understand that there is no sheltered role for them WITHOUT Monahan?

You don't throw young kids who don't know what they are doing into the fire and expect them to succeed.

Who would you have realistically have signed to shelter them?
Monahan is already a player that needs sheltering. He's poor defensively and needs prescribed usage to produce. Do you not understand that he is the one taking the "sheltered" role?

Wennberg would have been a better option. He's way more competent defensively. He's a guy you can bury in the DZ and give defensive assignments, subsidizing offensive minutes for others. He also got a lot less term.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Monahan is already a player that needs sheltering. He's poor defensively and needs prescribed usage to produce. Do you not understand that he is the one taking the "sheltered" role?

Wennberg would have been a better option. He's way more competent defensively. He's a guy you can bury in the DZ and give defensive assignments, subsidizing offensive minutes for others. He also got a lot less term.
If all that we're looking for was a defensive-minded center to take on those matchups then yeah sure, but it's not. The other half of the Monahan signing is to act like a catalyst to get Gaudreau going. Wennberg doesn't check that box, neither does he check the leadership box.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Johnson and center was already a long shot but now its a guarenteed no and Voronkov doesnt need to be sheltered. It will be interesting, they may not even start Fantilli at center again. Wouldnt be completely shocked to see him share duties with Jenner and have Johnson/Chinakhov on the other side
Yeah, that shows how bad this signing is. Now they're forced to mis-manage the organization's most valuable asset to accommodate Monahan. Fantilli was drafted to be the 1C of the future and cornerstone of the franchise. Get him reps at center, get him reps in offensive situations.

If all that we're looking for was a defensive-minded center to take on those matchups then yeah sure, but it's not. The other half of the Monahan signing is to act like a catalyst to get Gaudreau going. Wennberg doesn't check that box, neither does he check the leadership box.
You know Monahan personally? Is he a leader? Is Wennberg not? I dunno.

How is an aging Monahan going to get Gaudreau "going"? Like I said, it's not six years ago.

Put Fantilli in those offensive situations. He's going to be better than Monahan almost as soon as next season anyway. Instead they're gonna block him.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Yeah, that shows how bad this signing is. Now they're forced to mis-manage the organization's most valuable asset to accommodate Monahan. Fantilli was drafted to be the 1C of the future and cornerstone of the franchise. Get him reps at center, get him reps in offensive situations.

How is an aging Monahan going to Gaudreau "going"? Like I said, it's not six years ago.

Put Fantilli in those offensive situations. He's going to be better than Monahan almost as soon as next season anyway. Instead they're gonna block him.
Future, as in not right now. He has some things to work on and missed a fair portion of his rookie season. Not sure if youve ever noticed but many great centers start on lower lines or on the wing. This allows them to play with Jenner and the team can position them however they see fit but it adds someone responsible to his line. Not everyone steps in and tears it up day 1 like Hughes

Last edited:
Reactions: Indy18

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I'd rather risk paying Lindholm until he's 36 than Monahan until he's 34. He's proven to be way more durable and can be played in all situations and positions. He's played 70 more games in the last 5 seasons while being significantly more productive in that span.

I'd rather do neither and trade for JGP or even a guy like Dvorak, but in Columbus' situation I'd pick the center with less term and signed to a younger age.

How is an aging Monahan going to get Gaudreau "going"? Like I said, it's not six years ago.

Monahan is definitely a leader and great locker room guy. Its literally the reason every team he's ever played for in the NHL was interested in signing him this offseason. He'll be a huge boon for Columbus' locker room, its the on-ice fit relative to the contract that looks bad.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137

He has a history of being put into leadership positions.

Progression is not linear and because somebody struggled for 3 years doesn't mean that they are doomed to struggle for the rest of their career. Especially when those struggles can be directly correlated to injuries they were having, try to gain some consistency when you can't stay healthy. It's impossible. And just because he can't stay healthy does not mean that he's more prone to being injured, your routines that you do on a daily basis, your summer routines to get you ready for the season, All of that impacts your ability to stay healthy and stay on the ice over the course of the season.

I will agree that if he can't stay healthy he's not going to do well, but if he can stay healthy and produce like he did last season, the signing is a home run.

Monahan literally would have been its second in scoring on Columbus last season, And now he gets to play with his best friend whom he put up some of his best numbers with.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

He has a history of being put into leadership positions.

Progression is not linear and because somebody struggled for 3 years doesn't mean that they are doomed to struggle for the rest of their career. Especially when those struggles can be directly correlated to injuries they were having, try to gain some consistency when you can't stay healthy. It's impossible. And just because he can't stay healthy does not mean that he's more prone to being injured, your routines that you do on a daily basis, your summer routines to get you ready for the season, All of that impacts your ability to stay healthy and stay on the ice over the course of the season.

I will agree that if he can't stay healthy he's not going to do well, but if he can stay healthy and produce like he did last season, the signing is a home run.

Monahan literally would have been its second in scoring on Columbus last season, And now he gets to play with his best friend whom he put up some of his best numbers with.
Again, you're not actually addressing or understanding the actual critique.

Whether Monahan is successful or not in CBJ is not really the question at hand (though IMO, he's not really that good anymore and is poor defensively).

The issue is that, as you continue to say, Monahan will absorb key offensive minutes. These are minutes that you want guys like Fantilli getting. Fantilli getting reps and touches is far more important for the franchise than seeing Monahan getting 60 points in another 26th place finish season.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Again, you're not actually addressing or understanding the actual critique.

Whether Monahan is successful or not in CBJ is not really the question at hand (though IMO, he's not really that good anymore and is poor defensively).

The issue is that, as you continue to say, Monahan will absorb key offensive minutes. These are minutes that you want guys like Fantilli getting. Fantilli getting reps and touches is far more important for the franchise than seeing Monahan getting 60 points in another 26th place finish season.
So you think that Monahan is just going to be on the ice for every offensive touch and PP? Fantilli will get more than enough offensive minutes and situations.

This isn't EA NHL, you can't just put a young kid on the first line and expect him to develop just because. Anaheim literally just had Carlsson on a snap count essentially, is his development ruined because of that too?

People act like the roster on opening night will remain the same for the entire season. Players get hurt, coaches mak adjustments, players get traded. Absolutely nobody is worried about Fantilli not getting enough playing time except you apparently.

Reactions: Indy18

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
But Monahan isn't defensively capable, so he doesn't check that box. And I am unconvinced by arguments that Wennberg doesn't check the leadership box. The team has no defensive structure and so that's a thing that needs to be learned, and yet we just committed to a mentor that exacerbates that problem rather than being someone capable of helping solve it.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
So you think that Monahan is just going to be on the ice for every offensive touch and PP? Fantilli will get more than enough offensive minutes and situations.

This isn't EA NHL, you can't just put a young kid on the first line and expect him to develop just because. Anaheim literally just had Carlsson on a snap count essentially, is his development ruined because of that too?

People act like the roster on opening night will remain the same for the entire season. Players get hurt, coaches mak adjustments, players get traded. Absolutely nobody is worried about Fantilli not getting enough playing time except you apparently.
I really think people think players are machines or just NPCs in video games. Why did Chicago surround Bedard with aging veterans who know how to work a locker room? This isn't a video game where the more time you spend on the ice the more XP you get and to maximize your leveling curve. No there are ebbs and flows and having a bad streak could break down a players confidence, player growth isn't linear. Also people act like Monahan will permanently be in the center and overtaking Fantilli for 5 years. The contract makes sense from a logistics standpoint...legit the only issue is its a million too much and 1 year too long...welcome to FA where we saw 3rd line Dmen go for 6 mil yesterday...everyone overpays especially when the cap jumped like it did. This contract doesn't even break into my top 5 worst contracts of the day as it checks off many boxes Columbus needed. We are not in win now we are in the prospect cultivation step of the rebuild. If the prospect earns the spot over the veteran then the lines will be changed accordingly.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Again, you show your fundamental misunderstanding of these concepts and what's going on.

Yes, ANA wanted to limit Carlsson total games played so he could spend some time literally building his body in the gym and not getting broken down. But when he was in the lineup, he played a ton in all key situations. He wasn't blocked by anyone. They gave him the keys and let him have touches as the de facto 1C, 1PP, high leverage situations. And later on in the season, they essentially took him off the "snap count" and he played regularly. He was playing 18 minutes per night, and 15 minutes per night at ES, which was second on the team among forwards in ES TOI per game. He played a lot more per game than Fantilli did last season.

This is obviously not the plan when bringing in Monahan to, by your own admission, to "get Gaudreau going". By your own words, Monahan will get the key offensive minutes. That blocks Fantilli from those moments.

Take the L man. Your own example you raised is a counter-argument against you and largely supports what I'm saying. You've shown you fundamentally don't understand what you're talking about.

I really think people think players are machines or just NPCs in video games. Why did Chicago surround Bedard with aging veterans who know how to work a locker room? This isn't a video game where the more time you spend on the ice the more XP you get and to maximize your leveling curve. No there are ebbs and flows and having a bad streak could break down a players confidence, player growth isn't linear. Also people act like Monahan will permanently be in the center and overtaking Fantilli for 5 years. The contract makes sense from a logistics standpoint...legit the only issue is its a million too much and 1 year too long...welcome to FA where we saw 3rd line Dmen go for 6 mil yesterday...everyone overpays especially when the cap jumped like it did. This contract doesn't even break into my top 5 worst contracts of the day as it checks off many boxes Columbus needed. We are not in win now we are in the prospect cultivation step of the rebuild. If the prospect earns the spot over the veteran then the lines will be changed accordingly.
Another person who fundamentally misunderstand these concepts.

So did Chicago bring in a veteran to play ahead of Bedard at center, and take the offensive minutes and 1PP time? Did they? Yes or no?

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Fantilli is a great prospect but he was not ready to be #1C last season and I don't think he was at a level where the best option would've been to learn the job as you go. Then he got injured in January and missed the rest of the season. We'll see how he looks come 24-25. In any case Columbus doesn't even have a head coach signed yet, maybe the talk about how they are ruining Fantilli's development through poor usage is a bit early.

Reactions: Viqsi

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Not entirely sure I agree with the bolded but otherwise this is pretty spot on.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013

I think it's a reasonably good contract, I mean the term and money seem manageable to me taking the timeline into account. Sure 2 or 3 years would've been better, but I don't think 5 is too much of a problem even if things don't go optimally, as long as they go reasonably well. The question is if it's a contract for the right player, which I suppose is largely down to his health.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Brings in another veteran voice like Gudbranson
Can win faceoffs
Re-invest in Johnny while hes here
Hopefully with a new coach drastically shakes up our PP woes

Yet most importantly another voice the kids can turn too similar to what Gudbranson does now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad