Confirmed Signing with Link: [CBJ] F Kirill Marchenko re-signs with the Blue Jackets (3 years, $3.85M AAV)

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I see GMDW signing what appear to be smart, reasonable, and fair contracts and I keep wondering: 'is Jarmo taking notes?' Our last GM was great at identifying talent and crappy at developing them and determining fair value for them. I think this is a wonderful contract, as long as Marchy is satisfied with it there will be a positive payoff in three years for both sides.

Reactions: Viqsi and Fro

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Nope. One year short because of birthday timing.
Got it.

Is it not age as of September of expiry year?

In Marchenko's case September 2027, which he would be 2027 in?

It would make sense that it would be one year short of UFA, these bridge contracts almost always are. Just a touch confused with the specific dates

Edit: just saw it's July 1st, I think I had it mixed up with draft year ages

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Well Werenski has been great atleast. Gudbranson was actually weirdly good last year too, probably because of the boring system. Still dont realistically predict playoffs this year but we need to see some real growth or could be some fireworks next offseason as Waddell has 0 emotional attachment to these guys
Werenski is very good but he makes quite a lot so needs to be healty and give 60-70 pts to justify his deal. Has the abilities and needs to avoid injuries and be more consistent though a better/healthy team should help reduce his need to try and do more than desired as Jiricek breaks into the NHL

Laine + Gaudreau + Monahan need to be strong players next years as all established players who make a lot and have bren stsrs to superstars before.

The jackets have nucleus of a playoff team. Need to be healthy, young guys to play and develop to their ceilings and goalies to not cost/sabotage games

Jackets have room to be 95 pt team nezt year imo

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Makes sense to me. I think i actually had him ballparked at a $3.8M x 3 sort of bridge deal. He's a great candidate for that type of situation. If he just stays more or less the same, it's not great value, but it's just fine because of the goal-skewed production. And you're not locked in to some bigger deal if he does just sort of plateau as what he is. So it gives you a few years to really evaluate if he's going to take further steps and blossom into a player that you want to make a big expense, significant part of your "core" in a few years. If he does turn into that, you happily pay him. But this also provides the opportunity to walk away, trade him, or whatever can get you best value, if he doesn't take that next step.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
But this also provides the opportunity to walk away, trade him, or whatever can get you best value, if he doesn't take that next step.

If he doesn't take that next step this is still a player I'd love to have at $3.8m per. There's no thought of walking away or trading him. Many of us were hoping for a five year deal.

Reactions: Xoggz22

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
If he doesn't take that next step this is still a player I'd love to have at $3.8m per. There's no thought of walking away or trading him. Many of us were hoping for a five year deal.

It always seemed to me like he's a guy who was never a candidate for a 5 year long-term sort of deal. Because he has the potential to be even more, so at that kind of term...i'm sure he'd want at least $5-6M+. Which...if he doesn't take another step, that starts to become a problem.

As for walking away or trading him toward the end of that deal. Obviously he's young and full of upside right now, so that's not going to enter the conversation. But if he's still more or less the same player 2-3 years from now, plateaued in development...it's fine at $3.8M for sure...but assuming he's looking for more $$$ on his next deal...that becomes something a team ought to take a long hard look at.

Crucially, it still only takes him to that last ditch RFA situation. Which can be awkwardly leveraged in favour of the player...but still retains team control to really figure out what they want to do with him. If he's still just sort of teetering on the cusp of "core player" status, but not able to take that next step...asking $6M+.

But the three year term gives Columbus all the time in the world to figure out if he's got another level he's capable of, or if "this is it" - as a sort of ~20-25G scoring ~40pts Cy Young style winger. Where if he doesn't develop further, maybe they can still just find a way to keep him at a cheaper rate long-term and decide to do that anyway.

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad