Confirmed Signing with Link: [CBJ] F Kent Johnson re-signs with the Blue Jackets (3 years, $1.8M AAV)

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
This might be one of the better cost bridge deals in the entire league. At his worst he will be a quality 3rd line C/W and at his best a Horvat or Miller light (minus the semi aggressive physical play at this point in his career)
You don't know that. KJ could be a complete bust in which case this contract sets him up for life if properly invested. Hopefully that doesn't happen and he has a long career as a top six center but you can see why his agent pushed for the extra year. This isn't some surefire future superstar.

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
You don't know that. KJ could be a complete bust in which case this contract sets him up for life if properly invested. Hopefully that doesn't happen and he has a long career as a top six center but you can see why his agent pushed for the extra year. This isn't some surefire future superstar.
I do know that at age 21 he is a C/W that has already hit 40 points in his 2nd year and was on track for 31 ish points averaged out over a full season in his 2nd full season on one of the worst teams in the league over that time.

I do know that at $1.8 million per year on a 3 year bridge deal it's a brilliant contract because GMs LOVE reclamation projects so even if he only posts 20 points this coming season some GM will look at a sub $2 million contract on a former 5th overall pick and pay up in a trade.

It's such a low risk bridge deal that it's almost a can't lose deal for Columbus.

Either they get a decent middle 6 player out of it or they get a tradable asset on a cheap contract.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Everyone is aware of his last shift in CBJ like 4 years ago, is that the only thing you are referring to, or do you actually have something showing he does anything like that consistently? That would be weird, considering both CBJ and WPG be ane mad at him when he no longer wanted to play there. Why would they he upset about that if he was trash?

He obviously had a bad year in LA, but that brings me back to my earlier question, does playing bad mean you are forcing your way out? Last time you responded by saying no one has ever said that about Johnson (despite the fact this exchange started with a CBJ fan trying to dunk on people who said that rumour that you don't think exists) and that I, as a Habs fan, am compromised by bias when talking about Johnson, so I should listen to the unbiased CBJ fans who can comment objectively on him.

I'm not particularly interested in my team acquiring Johnson and, as I said earlier in this thread, he'll probably stay in CBJ. All I'm saying is a player signing an extension isn't a guarantee he'll finish it in the same city.

His play forced LA to do something because hes lazy and wasting an immense amount of talent. He got what he wanted and pissed it away. But regardless its still irrelevant to Johnson.

Its about as stupid as if I went to a Montreal post and said I dont expect Demidov to be a superstar simply because Montreal hasnt had one of those in forever. Doesnt sound very intelligent does it?

Last edited:

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
This seems like good work by the agent. Especially depending on what the QO ends up being.

It buys up two non-arb RFA years, and they only gave up one arb-RFA year. Young players with better signing seasons signed 2 year bridge deals in the 2.XXM range. Johnson is coming off of a down season.

Most of all, it secures the bag for the player so that if he fails to progress he at least has something before he is exiled to lesser paying pro leagues.

People will bring up Johnson's season two years ago in terms of production, but the issue when comparing him to players like Frost or Lafreniere who signed bridge deals last year is that they were trending up, or at the very least consistent. We're talking about a player who spent part of the year in the minors, and part of it scratched getting 3 years of 1-way money purely based on how their potential projects. This is good work by the agent.
1-way money? I thought ELCs were always 2way

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Should end up a steal for the Jackets. But will it? I think he’s too talented not to take that next step, but every player has to pay that price and make that commitment. Nothing comes free in the NHL, except your first opportunity, if you were a high draft choice. After that, everyone is on the same page, with the same expectations.

So no, he hasn’t been a Lucas Raymond, and may never be an impact, drive a line type player. He can certainly be a high-end secondary scorer though.

The contract is right in line with what guys like Kakko, Zadina and Nichushkin ended up with. That takes him to 24 years old around $2 million. If he takes that next step, they’re gonna get a year or two with a great contract. If he keeps being such an up and down, inconsistent player, the contract doesn’t hurt them, other than like those other high picks that didn’t evolve, his trade value will plummet and nobody will want him at the $1.8, or entering an arbitration eligible summer.

That’s 2+ years from now though. He’s in the middle of his development and we’ve seen the flashes. Two years from now, if he’s the same inconsistent player, then probably move him, while you can still get something for him. Right now, they have a really talented young player, who needs to find that next gear. Nothing more, nothing less.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
His agent is Pat Brisson, color me surprised a veteran agent signed this deal. Could be a complete steal for the team right off the hop.
Yeah I'm surprised Brisson would let his client sign a contract more than 2 years with a sub 2M AAV. I think he'd have been better off doing a 2x1.5M, banking in a bigger payday for his 3rd contract (probably something like 7x7M if he progresses as expected).

Financial security must have been a big priority for Johnson and his family. They probably locked in an additional $1-2M on this contract, but he probably gave up ~5M in that 3rd year vs what he would have likely earned had he signed for only 2 years.

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
This contract certainly doesn’t smell like “I want out of this place as fast as possible so I’m gonna extract my pound and then bolt”.

It seems like exact opposite…more like “Pat, I just want to focus on hockey and the team, just get this done so I can prove myself and not have any distractions the next few years…”
I'm sure the fact that they got rid of Pascal Vincent has a lot to do with this.

You make it sound like LA is a nice place...

But yeah, PLD is a head case and I wouldn't want him.
Many parts of LA are fantastic, anyone in the league would kill to play there and live in a place like Manhattan Beach.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Great contract for both sides. Gives stability to KJ to allow for growth and isn't going to hamstring CBJ if they find he isn't a good fit. Sets up the next contract really well too as the QO isn't crazy and days they think KJ is likely part of the long term future. Love this deal. Now finalize Marchenko and Sillinger

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I just want to thank @Satan for delivering this news to me on a sunny July day. Some people truly are selfless.

Good on KJ to get the security of term and now he has some good runway to settle in and keep improving even more.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I'm sure the fact that they got rid of Pascal Vincent has a lot to do with this.

Many parts of LA are fantastic, anyone in the league would kill to play there and live in a place like Manhattan Beach.
Some would, some wouldn't. Of all the cool looking places to live/visit in the USA, LA is near the bottom of my list, personally. And I've been there before.

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
Some would, some wouldn't. Of all the cool looking places to live/visit in the USA, LA is near the bottom of my list, personally. And I've been there before.
Lots of terrible places in LA, but if I could afford a place with a view on Manhattan Beach, while I'm working as an NHL player, oh boy!

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I thought for sure they'd land on the sort of "two year prove-it deal" solution here. Interesting that they probably traded a few hundred k $$$ AAV for that extra year. And interesting that Kent accepted that. Three years really pushes earnings potential down the road an extra year of top earnings potential, for a guy who has the talent to be an absolute steal on that contract by years 2 and 3, if not earlier.

That year 3 at $1.8M could cost him like $5M or something, if he breaks out like he's entirely capable of doing. Just really surprised he agreed to it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad