Prospect Info: CBJ Development Camp 2023 at Chiller North | July 2-6

ClevelandJacketFan

Awesome Mascots!
Nov 1, 2007
...Really?
I feel hes our most underappreciated prospect in a landslide.

I know some are starting to value Svozil over him and I love Svozil but I think Mateychuk will be closer to Jiricek than Svozil will be to Mateychuk when its all said and done
Not sure how you value one over the other at this point. They're both likely extremely highly rated prospects. It's more preference than anything else, and I think they'll likely be interchangeable for a while, while Werenski leads the top unit.

If they both hit their peak, the LHD for the CBJ is set for 10 years, maybe longer.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Not sure how you value one over the other at this point. They're both likely extremely highly rated prospects. It's more preference than anything else, and I think they'll likely be interchangeable for a while, while Werenski leads the top unit.

If they both hit their peak, the LHD for the CBJ is set for 10 years, maybe longer.
I like them both and living in Regina got to see Svozil play multiple times in the regular season/playoffs so Im pretty confident in my opinion of his play. Was only a year ago I was defending his upside in the prospect polls and ranking him higher than most.

I just feel like Mateychuk will be a better pro but there is definitely room for both if they reach their upsides

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I'm definitely wowed by the clips of him you've been sharing.
Hes a player I thought you specifically would be a bit higher on. Smaller but like Bjorkstrand more of the high compete, high energy no fear players. Seems like a player made for these small drills though, will be fun to follow over the next few years

I bought the blackbook this year and reading some of the scouts comments plus their own was kind of weird. Blackbook themselves say hes one of the best skaters in the draft and others say its not good, especially for his size which seems pretty harsh.

Reactions: ThisIsMyAlibi

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Just spoke with and met Mike Babcock who came into the crowd here to talk to fans. Was pretty cool
Context: Was standing around some kids looking for autographs, Babcock emerges from one of the locker rooms. The kids noticed him, and called for him. Babcock waived and said “be out in a minute” and went into a different locker room. I assumed he was just flaking (not meant in a bad way). But about 5 minutes later he comes back (nobody noticed him coming), puts his hand on my shoulder so I could notice him and get out of his way so he could go talk to the kid. He taps him on the shoulder and says “heard you yapping for me. (Said smiling) How’re you doing Buddy?” So they talked for a second, and then he turned and asked me if there was any good players out there. I said “you tell me coach.” And he laughed and basically said we’ll see in main camp. Shook my hand and left. Was cool

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Hes a player I thought you specifically would be a bit higher on. Smaller but like Bjorkstrand more of the high compete, high energy no fear players. Seems like a player made for these small drills though, will be fun to follow over the next few years

I bought the blackbook this year and reading some of the scouts comments plus their own was kind of weird. Blackbook themselves say hes one of the best skaters in the draft and others say its not good, especially for his size which seems pretty harsh.

I didn't look into Brindley beyond a couple games, one of which he was off. I'm getting pretty high on him right now.

Reactions: Cowumbus and Koira

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

While it is cool he appears to be the most talented by far. I'd like to see him show up in camp and be the hardest worker too. Then and only then will the tide change in the locker room. The guys who coasted last year need to see someone come in and show them how it is done.

It sounds like Bedard will walk into Chicago and do that. I would like to see Fantilli set that same tone here.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Was at camp again today: I already posted the coolest parts of my time there but I will point out some more things about the actual camp itself: Mostly just stayed for Group A.

1. Gavin Brindley is going to be a fan favorite. He takes no drills off. He takes no prisoners (Even against Fantilli). Competitive as hell. He went through a stretch where he was throwing the body in the compete drills. Little ball of hate, I really like him. Can pick a corner too.

2. LDBB has good traits but nothing really stands out to me. He's a fine skater, but not blowing you away. He's a good shot, but nothing outstanding.

3. Fantilli is a sniper. Absolute bomb of a snap shot and wrist shot. Was making defenders look silly in 1on1 drills. Better defensively than I thought (At least in individual battle drills.)

4. Our goalies in the pipeline need some work. Especially the new swedish kid. All eyes are on the forwards (as they should be) but we definitely have a weakness in our system there.

5. Svozil skated on his own. Nothing too tough. But it was good to see him. Would have to think he'll be fine for main camp.

6. Jordan Dumais has all the offensive tools you want. He put defenders through spin cycles trying to keep up and check with him. Incredible shot (Right there with Fantilli) and didn't shy away from the physical play (in camp.) Love the prospect.

7. Last drill of the day was a team compete drill. Goalies on each side (from inside the blueline). 2 on 1's. Team white vs blue. Whoever scored first won and the losers had to skate line touches. Was very competitive. Team White (with Fantilli) won easily the first time. Team Blue had to skate. Then Team Blue won (with Dumais) and white had to skate. They had to do a championship round and Team Blue won. They went crazy and were celebrating together and barking at Team White when they had to do the losing line touches. Was high compete.

Can't make it to the Prospects Game tomorrow. Hopefully there are a lot of clips. Was a fun camp.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
I feel hes our most underappreciated prospect in a landslide.

I know some are starting to value Svozil over him and I love Svozil but I think Mateychuk will be closer to Jiricek than Svozil will be to Mateychuk when its all said and done

I think Mateychuk looks to become a Werenski type and level player, maybe better.

He'll be great for this team. I haven't seen Svozil enough to compare

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
While it is cool he appears to be the most talented by far. I'd like to see him show up in camp and be the hardest worker too. Then and only then will the tide change in the locker room. The guys who coasted last year need to see someone come in and show them how it is done.

It sounds like Bedard will walk into Chicago and do that. I would like to see Fantilli set that same tone here.

Everything about Fantilli screams a future captain.

He’s like Mackinnon absolutely all in driven to become the best player possible

I think Mateychuk looks to become a Werenski type and level player, maybe better.

He'll be great for this team. I haven't seen Svozil enough to compare

You know that level is franchise 1D?

Reactions: CBJx614

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad