Proposal: CBJ - CGY

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
To Columbus:
Jonathan Huberdeau (15% retained)

To Calgary:
Patrik Laine

Both players are rather struggling and might benefit from a change of scenery. Calgary gets a player with less term, but has to retain a bit.
No thanks. Huby will be fine. Not 100+ points fine, but fine.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Retention over 7 years just isn't a realistic option. Nobody wants that Huberdeau contract and that's fine.

I'll give you Mangiapane for Laine.

Ledge And Dairy

Yes his amazing 55 point season was followed with 52 point season

But maybe next year! Or when he’s 35y
Posts like this are so pointless. Like what point are you trying to make? That you think Calgary should make this trade that is clearly bad for them?

Yes he's been bad and yes the contract is not good but that doesn't mean Calgary should just retain on him for 7 years to take on a different albatross

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Not just no, hell no, and furthermore you are hereby ordered to surrender your CBJ fan card and report to the appropriate authorities for immediate extirpation. We did not need a replacement HFCBJ Laine Hater.
Other than his long term, a retained Huberdeau who still might have some star power in him is not a bad deal for Laine that’s at his lowest value ever without any add from us

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Other than his long term, a retained Huberdeau who still might have some star power in him is not a bad deal for Laine that’s at his lowest value ever without any add from us
It's an absolutely atrocious deal and you should be ashamed. Huberdeau has nothing of that left. He's a top-6 winger, but that's not what we need, and certainly not at that cost. You're treating Laine as though he's a poison pill to be thrown away as fast as possible and actively seeking ripoff deals as a result, which just defies explanation.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
It's an absolutely atrocious deal and you should be ashamed. Huberdeau has nothing of that left. He's a top-6 winger, but that's not what we need, and certainly not at that cost. You're treating Laine as though he's a poison pill to be thrown away as fast as possible and actively seeking ripoff deals as a result, which just defies explanation.
What do you realistically expect to get for Laine at this point given he wants to leave himself ?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Posts like this are so pointless. Like what point are you trying to make? That you think Calgary should make this trade that is clearly bad for them?

Yes he's been bad and yes the contract is not good but that doesn't mean Calgary should just retain on him for 7 years to take on a different albatross

Laine has 2 years left

That Huberbeau deal is a ….ng anchor and to get awat from it would be worth it 100%

You’ll get easily the same production with 5 years less term

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
To Columbus:

To Calgary:
Patrik Laine

Both players are rather struggling and might benefit from a change of scenery. Calgary gets a player with less term, but has to retain a bit.
I'd do that in a heartbeat and I'm not a Laine fan. I don't think he's a good player. That Huberdeau deal is what makes our rebuild really difficult though. I think Kadri would be relatively easy to move. Huberdeau is next to impossible.

There's no way Calgary is getting out of that contract this easily.
Unfortunately you're 100% right. We'd need to retain 40+% IMO to even have a chance of moving it.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I'd be interested in Laine, but not a deal like this. I'd actually want Laine across from Huberdeau if acquiring him.

I'd rather the Flames take on a bad contract than retain 15%. I'd be open to discuss other assets instead like the Mangiapane base mentioned earlier. But I'm aware that there might not be a trade that makes sense between the two teams either.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Calgary says yes (quickly) and Columbus says no.

Even at $9m per year, Huberdeau is massively overpaid. A 50-60 pt guy without a two-way game is worth maybe half of that.

$9m x 7 is a disaster contract for Huberdeau, which says a lot about how bad his $10.5m x 7 is.

Reactions: HBK27, VT and Viqsi

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
To Columbus:

To Calgary:
Patrik Laine

Why another soft player?

Bond

May 10, 2012
Flames would do this in a heartbeat. No idea why Columbus would

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Yes his amazing 55 point season was followed with 52 point season

But maybe next year! Or when he’s 35y

Wait until you see the Flames cap.
We have money to burn right now. Honestly this team will have a hard time hitting the floor over the next few years.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I don't care so long as we're not shackled to a similar contract for six more years.

How much of a plus would you want from the Flames if Kuzmenko for Laine was a basis? Expiring contract (flippable or extendable even), $5.5 AAV means you're saving 3.2 to attempt to weaponize further at the TDL. Would likely play most of the season.

Gives you a proper RW (if Laine was shoehorned incorrectly at RW) and he synergized with Huberdeau so in theory Kuzmenko could jump in across from Gaudreau and be a good fit.

EDIT:

How far off is something like:

Laine + Ceulemans
For
Honzek + Kuzmenko

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad