CBJ Board Other Sports Thread: Part XI

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Taking a break from the coaching search and trade and contract talks, it is a beautiful night for baseball. Hope everyone is enjoying their summer.
20240719_212437.jpg

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Varsity Pickleball Will Come to All Montgomery County [Maryland] High Schools This Fall. MoCo is the US's first school district to fully embrace the sport.

The article says they are getting support from the Washington DC pro Pickleball Team. Columbus also has a pro team, would be nice to see them get pro-active with a grassroots effort the same way.

I know I am seeing plenty of high school aged kids playing now and my regular Tuesday night drop in groups have been adding early 20 year olds of late.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
We played pickleball in gym class when I was in high school (2002-2006). We didn't have traditional general gym, though. You elected into Swimming, Raquet Sports, Team Sports, or Track & Field. I always did Raquet because screw being wet all day or having to play basketball, so I played a lot of pickleball (and tennis, badminton, ping pong, even things like adapted softball with a raquet instead of a bat that I loved). We kind of made fun of it then, so it's weird to see it catch on the way it has in more recent years. Maybe I should get back into it.

Reactions: Doggy

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
We played pickleball in gym class when I was in high school (2002-2006). We didn't have traditional general gym, though. You elected into Swimming, Raquet Sports, Team Sports, or Track & Field. I always did Raquet because screw being wet all day or having to play basketball, so I played a lot of pickleball (and tennis, badminton, ping pong, even things like adapted softball with a raquet instead of a bat that I loved). We kind of made fun of it then, so it's weird to see it catch on the way it has in more recent years. Maybe I should get back into it.
Squash, this is not your grandfather's pickleball ;) From a recreational POV it is fun and social but it can also be extremely intense and competitive. You just have to find the people who play at your level and competitiveness. It's decent exercise (you don't even know you are getting exercise because you are having so much fun) and the fast twitch muscles needed to play competitively are sometimes insane (I would bet a ball coming at you at 40 MPH from 14' is more than comparable to a 90 MPH fastball from 60'). And if you want to play singles you'll be aerobically spent after just a few games.

You should give it a try, there are tons of public courts around the Columbus area and now plenty of indoor club courts in the northern suburbs.

Reactions: Viqsi

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Squash, this is not your grandfather's pickleball ;) From a recreational POV it is fun and social but it can also be extremely intense and competitive. You just have to find the people who play at your level and competitiveness. It's decent exercise (you don't even know you are getting exercise because you are having so much fun) and the fast twitch muscles needed to play competitively are sometimes insane (I would bet a ball coming at you at 40 MPH from 14' is more than comparable to a 90 MPH fastball from 60'). And if you want to play singles you'll be aerobically spent after just a few games.

You should give it a try, there are tons of public courts around the Columbus area and now plenty of indoor club courts in the northern suburbs.
I was a catcher in softball and I’ve played hundreds of hours of tennis, so things flying at my face at high speed don’t phase me. If I’d grown up with hockey and we had any money, I’d have been a goalie. How is it on wrecked former-catcher feet and knees, though?

Even the small town near Massillon where I just bought my grandmother’s house has a pickleball court!

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I blew out a knee and had reconstructive surgery in 1989. I still play intense rec play. You don’t until you try but make sure to get a good comfortable pair of court shoes and make sure you warm up and stretch before playing.

Reactions: squashmaple

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

I haven't played much, but the few times when I've played with nieces and nephews and their peers have largely reflected this assessment.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Anyone watching the Olympics? thinking about waking up early to watch Biles and the gymnastics team. Ledecky being called old at 27 has me feeling ancient

Reactions: Xoggz22

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I don’t like any basketball at any level. The gymnasts are great athletes and amazed what they can do but sports scored by subjectiveness don’t appeal to me.
These things verbatim for me as well.

I watched the kayak slalom yesterday on Peacock. Archery, badminton, team handball, water polo, mountain bike, fencing...

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I dig (pun intended) women's volleyball as well. Not so much men's volleyball or any of the sand volleyball.

Big match right now between USA and China.
  • 8-7 US in a fifth game tiebreak right now. Nail biter!
  • 10-8 China
  • 14-12 China grrr

Last edited:

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Pulling this up on my phone right now.

EDIT:
Damn
We have a friend's granddaughter who was invited to the team tryouts but it appears she did not make it. Just getting to tryouts I thought was amazing and she's still in college so I bet she's got another chance in 2028.

Interesting fact: Trent Dilfer's daughter Tori is a Setter on the team.

Last edited:

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
OK, digging the Track Cycling events. The women just won gold. Up to 40MPH average in 4000M (2.5 miles). That's nuts!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad