CBC News - In Canada, it’s never been more complicated — or expensive — to watch NHL hockey

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
People are being overly dramatic. TVA/RDS are French, not a concern unless you're a Habs fan. You always needed TSN/Sportsnet for the past decade. The only change is Amazon Prime, something any self-respecting middle class household should have anyways.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
People are being overly dramatic. TVA/RDS are French, not a concern unless you're a Habs fan. You always needed TSN/Sportsnet for the past decade. The only change is Amazon Prime, something any self-respecting middle class household should have anyways.
My big problem is with regional blackouts. It's dumb that I can't watch another Canadian team play this afternoon because I don't live in that city.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Many more streaming services are detecting well known VPN server addresses from companies like surf shark, ipvanish etc and are geo blocking them even if you are using your VPN. I know from experience.

I'm pretty sure they are also using location tracking of the device itself to see where you are and blocking that way too.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I've had Sportsnet as part of my cable sports package for years. I've also been an Amazon Prime member for years.. mostly for the free shipping which has more than paid for itself. I don't subscribe to TSN. For me, its a waste of money.
They get the Jr's, U18 and World Championships. They totally have me by the balls.lol

I do love their tennis coverage to be honest.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I'm pretty sure they are also using location tracking of the device itself to see where you are and blocking that way too.
TSN and Sportsnet do because of the regional deals. I can be on a VPN in Canada for the region eligible to receive the game and still get blocked. It’s all this BS that pushed me to an “alternative option”.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
There was a time not to long ago where as a nucks fan, more often than not the games weren't on tv at all.

If people don't wanna pay for SN or Prime, the radios always free or you can always attend games.

My point is people today are so used to free shit they forget that things are way better now.

Besides, you don't even need anything but prime since you can subscribe to SN for 20 bucks a month.

If you are an out of market fan, things are not this simple, and it has gotten progressively more expensive and more complicated while somehow managing to get less functional to access out of market games than ever before.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
TSN and Sportsnet do because of the regional deals. I can be on a VPN in Canada for the region eligible to receive the game and still get blocked. It’s all this BS that pushed me to an “alternative option”.
That’s what poster was mentioning to you, in the post you quoted, VPN won’t help if they are using geo-locating, or another method.

If you are an out of market fan, things are not this simple, and it has gotten progressively more expensive and more complicated while somehow managing to get less functional to access out of market games than ever before.
Out of market fans, have it the best, just need one package centre ice.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Doesn't exactly work as an out of market fan. If I want to legally watch every Leaf game this year, I would need subscriptions to Sportsnet, TSN and Amazon that would push $350 a year. Absolutely not in a million years. If they would let me watch the games on cable...I would probably pay for that. But I can't so they get nothing from me lol

I believe centre ice may be your best bet. I had it when I was doing a relocation to another province and it let me watch all Leafs games

Next Best Thing

Oct 31, 2022

It’s never been more complicated, or expensive, to watch NHL hockey as the multiyear Rogers broadcast deal winds down. To watch every game of the 2024/2025 season fans will need to subscribe to Sportsnet, TSN, RDS, TVA and Amazon Prime.​

Seruously wtf is all this, I've never been more annoyed and confused. And it's impossible to stream the games either it looks like they cracked down on everything.

I'm about to ask Ai to simulate the game locally based on box score after each game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad