CBC News - In Canada, it’s never been more complicated — or expensive — to watch NHL hockey

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Unfortunately, as long as the boomer generation and their careless spending habits generate revenues for sports leagues, the current shitty model will be used. There's just too many suckers happy to be bled dry.

When that generation kicks the bucket, there will be a massive shift due to smarter, more demanding customers.

For the time being, just put on an eye patch, adopt a parrot and hold your sabre high!

It's getting kind of complicated for boomers to watch things though . A whole lot of boomers you aren't very good setting up accounts everywhere and keeping track of everything

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I bitched about this on the Canucks board, so I'll post it here. In order to watch regional games without sailing the seas, I'd have to pay 35$ a month or 250$ annually for their premium option that bundles every other sport, none of which I care about.

It's ridiculous that I can't just order a package for the team I actually want to watch. Then companies wonder why people go the illegal route.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Ohh but please tell me why it is good idea to have the same commissioner for 30+ years

You know how many CEO’s have the same tenure

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
its total bs i got cable and my package includes tsn 5 channels.. you go turn on a game and are blacked out of the winnipeg and montreal games on the tsn channels lol... joke i used to get the winnipeg games years back also but last couple seasons i been blacked out totally lame since winnipeg my 2nd team since they came back to the league in 2011

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Unfortunately, as long as the boomer generation and their careless spending habits generate revenues for sports leagues, the current shitty model will be used. There's just too many suckers happy to be bled dry.

When that generation kicks the bucket, there will be a massive shift due to smarter, more demanding customers.

For the time being, just put on an eye patch, adopt a parrot and hold your sabre high!
I’m a boomer. I sail the seas and drink rum from a barrel. I watch all the sports and tv in general that I want, for a very nominal amount. We’re not all foolish like you suggest. :)

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
It’s mind blowing how sports broadcasting can be such a poorly developed industry considering how much easy money is tied up in it.

Oh c'mon now! It isn't mind blowing at all. Easy money like you said. Why put in a lot of extra effort that won't really lead to extra revenue? They are there to make money, not a great product!

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I bitched about this on the Canucks board, so I'll post it here. In order to watch regional games without sailing the seas, I'd have to pay 35$ a month or 250$ annually for their premium option that bundles every other sport, none of which I care about.

It's ridiculous that I can't just order a package for the team I actually want to watch. Then companies wonder why people go the illegal route.
MLB.TV has he option of paying for every game or one team so it can be done….

I have to buy the top tier to get the NHL network and it gives me 90 channels no one in my household will ever watch.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

The generation that wants everything given to them for nothing will get exactly what they wish for, only there won’t be as much to give.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012

We used to pay $250 a year for NHL center ice before these streaming packages, and before every game everywhere was televised... so getting all the NHL + other sports + $250 having less value now than back then... is a far better deal than what we used to get. I agree it sucks we can't get team packages, but let's not pretend it's the most difficult and most expensive it's ever been like the article claims.

Duffy13

‎(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━┻
Feb 16, 2013
PEI, Canada
Why not make the contract state that the NHL has to have access to every game on their app and site. Fans pay the package for either Whole League+ playoffs, Personal team + playoffs, or buy this single game. No blackouts, or if a blackout you can purchase that game above and beyond the package selected.

Advertising will still be able to be sold on the product by the rights holder as it is their production, and the fans have a central spot to watch the games. Plus the NHL will have greater stats to how many people, are watching what teams, and from what locations on the planet.

Hey Rogers we had an extra 125000 people watching this game from Pakistan on the NHL app tonight, add that to your numbers.... pretty damn good for a 5am game from that area... etc etc

It's baffling how complicated it is to get the product in front of the fans.

I'm on PEI, there's no chance for me to just decide to buy a ticket and go to a game that is closest a 14hr drive.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal

Amen its why I don't feel bad , let the suckers get farmed by Rogers and Bell they can fund them I'm good with free hockey on demand 24/7 any league in the world

The generation that wants everything given to them for nothing will get exactly what they wish for, only there won’t be as much to give.
Right because SN is an amazing product worth paying for , really missing out here

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
As stupidly frustrating as it is, can't help but wonder this is having a particularly negative impact on the next generation of fans.

Hard to fall i love with the sport if you can't easily watch it
True. The CFL lost a whole generation of fans due to their stupid blackout tules during the 70's and 80's. Once they're gone, you don't get most of them back.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
yeah but our generation bought our fav. music 3 times over (vinyl,cassette,cd)so we deserve a break
Yes you are right. I confess it’s actually 4x. All the above plus my current Spotify account.

Edit - I also had some duplicates on 8 tracks. Man we had some crappy technology!!

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall

Feel the same way. I don't want to watch 2600 games. I want to watch 82.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
My bad, didn't see that part of the title.

VPN seems like the most simplistic route then for Canadians, no?
Many more streaming services are detecting well known VPN server addresses from companies like surf shark, ipvanish etc and are geo blocking them even if you are using your VPN. I know from experience.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Many more streaming services are detecting well known VPN server addresses from companies like surf shark, ipvanish etc and are geo blocking them even if you are using your VPN. I know from experience.
this is why some like PIA offer the ability to have a dedicated and exclusive IP.

Reactions: brentashton

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad