CBC News - In Canada, it’s never been more complicated — or expensive — to watch NHL hockey

swissdude

May 18, 2019
there are plenty of ways to find streams for every game on the internet and it is possible to stream every game for free. but if someone really wants to watch the games legally, isn't there a way for people in north america to subscribe to nhl.tv? i pay USD 99. -/yr in switzerland and i can watch every game without blackouts, i can even choose which broadcaster i want to watch, so for example if the preds play in new jeersey i can choose if i want to watch the bally (preds) or the MSG (devils) broadcast. I only do that because I'm too lazy to cope with add blockers and stuff if you use these streams. but do you really have to have a subscription with every provider in north america?

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Plus Sportsnet+ is total crap. Actually, Sportsnet full stop is total crap. But SN+ is worse.
Depends on the day but it ranges from seamless to completely useless.

Shoutout to the day it told me a Blue Jays game wasn't available in my region. Interesting, given the Blue Jays broadcasting region is y'know, the entire f***in' country which last i checked i'm still living in.

Reactions: BTO

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Buy season tickets
Sell season tickets except for a select few games
Use profit to buy next season + any streaming service you wish for the season.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Companies like Rogers are the reason why people go and seek out things like IPTV. They are killing the game

Reactions: BTO

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
there are plenty of ways to find streams for every game on the internet and it is possible to stream every game for free. but if someone really wants to watch the games legally, isn't there a way for people in north america to subscribe to nhl.tv? i pay USD 99. -/yr in switzerland and i can watch every game without blackouts, i can even choose which broadcaster i want to watch, so for example if the preds play in new jeersey i can choose if i want to watch the bally (preds) or the MSG (devils) broadcast. I only do that because I'm too lazy to cope with add blockers and stuff if you use these streams. but do you really have to have a subscription with every provider in north america?
To break it down;

Amazon Prime now has games exclusively on monday nights here. Those games are nowhere else. (well, depending how well you know the ocean, or so to speak)

Getting something like Sportsnet or TSN+ doesn't cover games blacked out in my region. I get the Jets, Flames and Oilers. Anything else is a no go unless they're on nationally. (and not on amazon prime, of course) The Jets in my case are obviously only local, so your options are either cable or TSN+. Then if you truly want to watch every game, you will need Sportsnet for the few time the Jets are on nationally/Hockey Night in Canada.

If you're a fan of an American team like myself, your choices are to either just watch what sportsnet picks up or pay them like 40 a month for a service that doesn't work half the time (which again, blackouts can throw a wrench into that depending on the area)

Easily the worst sport for this right now. I have no problem with paying to watch. I pay for DAZN every football season and it's totally worth. I get every game including primetime and postseason all in one place. No hassle, just turn it on and watch.

As video game magnate Gabe Newell once said, piracy is the better option not because people are cheap, but because it's easier;

“One thing that we have learned is that piracy is not a pricing issue. It’s a service issue,” explained Newell during his time on stage at the Washington Technology Industry Association's (WTIA) Tech NW conference. “The easiest way to stop piracy is not by putting antipiracy technology to work. It’s by giving those people a service that’s better than what they’re receiving from the pirates.”

Last edited:

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
I couldn’t disagree more. I’m a Leaf fan that rarely misses a game. With young kids I was hesitant to give up my cable because I always have to start the game late. But my Rogers bill got so high that I went for it

Sportsnet+ gets me every game on Sportsnet (and a ton of other teams as well). The app is great, I have had zero issue with it. And the big thing for me, when I get the kids to bed at 8pm I can click the game and start it from the beginning

Since I’m in Leafs region, when the games are on TSN they are blackout on there. I tried the TSN app. It sucks. So I picked up a VPN and set myself to another Canadian city and it works perfectly

To summarize. I finally got rid of cable. Save 200 per month. Sportsnet+ premium cost me 125 for a year (got a half price code) and my vpn costs 4 per month. I’m saving a ton of money without cable, and I get far more games than I used to. I can still watch every game on delay. Never been better for me
Re: SN+. The app is great? Zero issues with it? Got a half price code? Who do you know and who did you . . . ?

• Haha
Reactions: the valiant effort

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
I broke down this year and got SN+ Prime. First time since the lockout (or was it the strike lol?) and first time since Rogers took it over that I have done so. Last time, after the strike/lockout, I got it through the NHL, with a vpn, at a discount.

Normally I sail the high seas, but experience hadn’t been great in the preseason so I broke down. But it will be both my first and last year with SN+. The app is pure garbage. Well, tbf, everything Rogers (and everything Bell too) is pure garbage. Next year this aging boomer will take advantage of his son-in-law’s offer to set him up.

Edit: forgot to add that, even tho I paid for SN+, I expect that I’ll mostly be sailing the high seas this year, and simply have SN+ in reserve in case things don’t go smoothly, or if I want to watch a game after the fact. That’s how bad Rogers is. At least, even tho I paid them, they’ll be getting less ad revenue from me. f***ers.

Last edited:

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
Nope, not in Canada. Everything goes through the crooks at Rogers. SN+ Prime costs $250/yr ($282 with tax), or like $300/mo or something. Unless you’re Palio and got a half-price code for some reason.

Edit: not sure what NHL centre ice costs but that’s still Rogers.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
I need to subscribe to Prime, SN, and TSN if I want to watch all Leaf games living in NS. We all understand that 60 years ago the only way to follow the game was by radio....that isn't the case anymore. If these multi billion dollar corporations want my money when I can just as easily pull up a free stream of the game....they have to actually, you know earn my money and not rip me off in the process. If there was a single product I could buy to view all the games for my team, I would probably do that. It doesn't exist for me.
First off it wasn't 60 years ago😂 I'm only 45 and I'm referring to the late 80s and 90's lol.

As for someone not in an actual market, I get that you guys don't get a regional game on one dedicated network but I don't see an issue with that. I mean your basically saying that we should be able to watch every team like a regional broadcast thats not available for any sport.
Look at the NFL on tsn, you get a few random games a week which is the same formula that tsn and sn use for games not region locked or blacked out.

Why not just sign up for Centre ice? I had it with Telus and I'm not sure if every game is available but there was a shitload.

Basically I think every game in the province you live in should be part of the cable package. The morning Monday night thing on prime isn't perfect with regional games on SN last year on a Monday weren't separate, it's only 3 games but in return get a bunch of games not available last year, plus we get a separate show twice a week? Of NHL on the fly, the NFL version literally got me back into the sport.
Plus prime only nine bucks a month and I feel that most people who enjoy TV and use Amazon likely already are subscribed which in that case is a huge win, getting all that high production content added at no extra cost.

Lastly and sorry for the long ass response but I think Amazon is planning on becoming a major player on the next TV deal and I never thought I would say this but I would be fine with that since I think they would spend huge dollars to make it top notch.

Imagine the amount of new eyes the league would reach which is good for the game and for Amazon revenue wise, especially for all the cheapies like me who haven't bothered to upgrade to no adds😂

Cheers and again sorry for the long response.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad