Player Discussion: Cayden Lindstrom

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Kinda shocked how he's already considered a bust by a fair portion of the social media community on reddit/twitter. There is legit a poster on reddit I am pretty sure is having a nervous meltdown over this pick.

At the end of the day all these kids are lotto picks and he checks off ALOT of boxes if he hits (and personally I has been a favorite for me the past few monhts)

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Very curious on if he’ll be at development camp. That being said, he was my 2nd guy I wanted on the board behind Demidov. No complaints here. His walk up to the podium was a bit concerning

Reactions: CBJx614

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
“We did have a lot of calls,” Waddell told the Blue Jackets’ radio network. “We had a backup deal if Cayden wasn’t available that we could have made. Cayden was the guy we wanted. We had him second on our list (after No. 1 overall selection Macklin Celebrini).

“When we saw (Lindstrom) was still there, that team called me and I said, ‘No, we’re not trading it.’ We’re very fortunate to draft Cayden.”

Lindstrom, flanked by his mother and grandmother, was all smiles as he rose to his feet after the pick was announced by Rick Nash, the club’s director of player development and a former first-round pick (No. 1 overall) by the Jackets in 2002.

“I’m going to bring a winning mindset,” Lindstrom said. “I’m going to bring a lot of speed and power and skill. A lot of good offensive touch and physicality as well.

“I’m excited to be a Columbus Blue Jacket.”

Lindstrom a singular talent — centers with his combination of skill and size don’t come around every year. He was a dominating player for Medicine Hat of the Western Hockey League, scoring 27-19-46 in only 32 games before injuries to a hand and his back wiped out most of the rest of his season.

The Blue Jackets, like many teams, did extensive testing and looked at all of Lindstrom’s available medical tests to make sure his back injury wouldn’t be a chronic issue, said director of amateur scouting Ville Siren. Waddell was told by team doctors that it could be managed with little risk.

“Centers are hard to come by,” Waddell said. “He’s a big kid. Plays the game hard. He can score. He puts up points. He’s got a lot to mature about, because he’s only 18 years old as a player.“But he has tools that you can take to the next level. He does all the things you’d want a player to do. It’s just a matter of taking it all to a higher level now.”
“There’s no doubt, you build down the middle,” Waddell said. “We talk about it all the time. If you can stop the puck and you have good centermen, you can usually have good success. There were other great players there (on the board), but we really wanted a center there.”

The Blue Jackets, now with Lindstrom, have had seven first-round picks in the last four drafts, including six picks within the top 12 picks of those drafts. They have one of the best prospect pools in the NHL, and they have skilled veteran players.

But they haven’t been a difficult team to play against for a few seasons now.

“We have some really skilled players,” Waddell said. “When you can add a skilled player who brings some hardness to the equation, that can go a long way for a franchise.

“It’s gonna be a few years, of course. We don’t want to get too fast-forward with this. But when he’s ready to play, he’s going to make our whole team bigger.”

Reactions: Viqsi and CBJx614

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
He gave a good interview on the Fan. He talked about his grandfather’s work ethic. His grandfather was a tree faller in northern BC and also drove trucks.

Reactions: LJ7

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I figured he’s got the same size and skill in his play
I expanded my post a little without going into crazy detail. Have some similar qualities but accomplidh what they do on the ice in very different ways. Byfield would be a menace if he had any sort of meanstreak, dude could be a bully

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I figured he’s got the same size and skill in his play

He doesn't have the super smooth handling and refined playmaking of Byfield. While Byfield isn't a physical player. Byfield has to be pushed to use his body, Lindstrom doesn't. He plays the power forward game instinctively. He loves to hit. And Lindstrom is a better shooter too.

Reactions: ViD

CannonFire1

Jun 22, 2023
Excited to see what Lindstrom can do, and hoping he can stay healthy. I would have leaned to Demidov, but acknowledge the scouting staff has more information than I do. At the end of the day I'm a Jackets fan, so I hope this kid lights the league on fire!

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I am not too happy to draft Lindstrom. Understand me right, I like similar players but I am nervous because of his back. That is the only reason.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I will wager more on the D+3, really hoping I am wrong but I feel there will be a few more injuries (not his back) that will set him back. Just an uneasy feeling.

When Eric Lindros was picked by Quebec in 1991, and refused to sign there, there was speculation that it would be bad for him to go back to junior because he would let up physically on a league he'd already dominated and at the same time guys would all be taking runs at him, trying to make their mark.

If Cayden Lindstrom has an injury or two, it wouldn't surprise me. It wouldn't surprise me for any prospect really, most of them get hurt once or twice.

I think he might be a good bet to stay with Columbus in his D+2, maybe not playing as many games, maybe adding in some AHL games (conditioning loan) or a WJC tournament. He might be one of those rare cases where he's better off developing on the roster of his NHL team and learning in that setting without playing a full schedule. That will be a huge issue for most fans but I don't think development is linear with games played, I think keeping a prospect fit and fresh and taking things step by step is better.

Reactions: Viqsi and Indy18

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad