Value of: Casey DeSmith

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Has a playoff team ever traded a useful roster player on an expiring contract, other than to free cap room or for a clear upgrade... ?

I mean, if Vancouver didn't have DeSmith and was making do with a cheap waiver pickup, they'd likely be trying to acquire a solid backup to have some protection in case of injury to Demko down the stretch or in the playoffs.

ie, if they didn't have DeSmith, they'd be trying to trade for an equivalent.

Didn't STL do it in back to back years with shattenkirk and Stastny?

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Demko is only a season removed from missing a sizable amount of time due to injuries, and promptly playing awful as he attempted to recover while clearly brought back too early. DeSmith is basically insurance, especially when none of our goalie prospects have shown they're ready for the NHL quite yet.

I'd be stunned if the Canucks moved DeSmith barring an absolutely stupid offer. If say, New Jersey wanted to throw out their 1st, which DeSmith is definitely not worth despite his stellar season so far, then we'd probably make that work. But that's fantasy. Nobody is giving up that kind of value for a career backup on an expiring deal.

My hope is he doesn't ask for much of a raise and we get to bring him back next season.

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
Depth players over-preforming relative to their contracts, and potentially getting an offer that tempts you to weaken yourself in the short term. Not something Canuck fans are used too.,

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Wondering what his value is at this point with so many good teams needing goaltending. Probably not available at the moment (deadline more likely) but maybe for an overpayment.
Canucks just got DeSmith this year to be the backup. Why would they turn around and sell him when he has been their saviour?? Canucks need DeSmith as much as they need Demko.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Depth players over-preforming relative to their contracts, and potentially getting an offer that tempts you to weaken yourself in the short term. Not something Canuck fans are used too.,
DeSmith was always solid though

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Nobody is going to overpay to get him, and moving him would open up a hole in Van's net. He's been great so far, and they aren't going to do something stupid like destroy their goaltending depth, when making the playoffs is obviously the team's goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad