Casey Cizikas - NYI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Besides, size never hurt guys like Gainey and Carbonneau.

Gainey was 6'2", so not the best comparison.

But Peca, Madden and Draper are a few examples of recent top notch shutdown centers who played at 5'10"-11" and 180-190 lbs, which is highly comparable to Cizikas' size.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
He's probably getting double the ice time in the AHL then he would in the NHL. If anything Bailey is a prime example as to why you don't want to rush a kid into the NHL.

His NHL upside is probably a 3rd line centre capable of filling in on the 2nd line. So why not give him some 3rd line experience instead of Bailey who would probably benefit more from AHL time (he doesn't need to clear waivers does he?). I haven't seen Cizikas since the Mem Cup but I'm conviced he'd be better than Bailey as the 3rd C at this point.

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa

But Peca, Madden and Draper are a few examples of recent top notch shutdown centers who played at 5'10"-11" and 180-190 lbs, which is highly comparable to Cizikas' size.

Was he? I always thought he was a six-footer. Carbonneau certainly wasn't, then again, I haven't checked wikipedia just going on memory...your other comparisons are bang on and illustrate my point exactly.

:handclap:

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Very impressed with what I've seen and heard, I can't wait to see him in a few years, he has an underated playmaking game.

Equally excited about Ullstrom and Dibendetto who seem to have broken out so far.

Mansfield

possession obsession
Apr 4, 2011
Ontario, Canada
wow. I legitimately never knew that cizikas was the guy who killed manny castillo...that was huge news back when I was in my last year of high school..

Damn. Guy seems like a good prospect though at any rate.

Hipster Doofus

Sep 1, 2006

Peca is who he reminds me of. Love his game.

startainfection*

after the draft he said he want to be the type of player mike richards is, could that still happen?

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Once the Islanders are out of playoff contention I have a feeling we'll see him, Ullstrom, and DiBenedetto all up to see some NHL time in March and April.

Ullstrom is up today. Will debut tonight vs. Pens.

HyeDray

Jul 13, 2006
New Hyde Park, NY
His NHL upside is probably a 3rd line centre capable of filling in on the 2nd line. So why not give him some 3rd line experience instead of Bailey who would probably benefit more from AHL time (he doesn't need to clear waivers does he?). I haven't seen Cizikas since the Mem Cup but I'm conviced he'd be better than Bailey as the 3rd C at this point.

Bailey would have to clear waivers to go down to BP unless it was a conditioning stint.

Ultimate Warrior

Mar 3, 2004
This guy is on a tear during Bridgeports' recent hot streak (10-0-1 in last 11 games). He has 38 pts in 44 games and a +20 rating as a rookie in the AHL. Maybe he projects as more then a bottom 6 guy?

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa
This guy is on a tear during Bridgeports' recent hot streak (10-0-1 in last 11 games). He has 38 pts in 44 games and a +20 rating as a rookie in the AHL. Maybe he projects as more then a bottom 6 guy?

He was a first-round talent that went later because of the potential legal cloud-and the personal issues that might have arisen...well, they haven't, and the kid is making every GM who passed on him extremely jealous this year. Snow took a chance and it's paying off huge.

Kid is fourth among AHL rookies in scoring, with the top two being two years older than Cizikas...fair to say if he keeps playing even close to his recent performance he will get serious ROTY consideration.

Interesting barometer for comparison: note that two highly touted prospects (also 91's) in Peter Holland and Carter Ashton are chasing Cizikas in the scoring race...but neither comes even close as far as plus/minus is concerned...Cizikas is playing in all situations, and doesn't exactly have the same personnel to work with...

Expect to see him up this year for a cup of coffee (or perhaps after the trade deadline?) and a full-timer next year.

Kid's a stud.

Last edited:

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Great to see casey excelling

We talk about the points he's putting up but there's actually a lot he does without scoring points that makes him a great hockey player. He has a nack of finding players the puck right when they need it and he almost never looses a battle on the boards (ex. 2011 world junior shift) and he is a excellent penalty killer.

Glad to see him taking off at the AHL level.

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
He played at my work over the summer for a mens league... secretly of course. I doubt the Isles would want him playing here even if he was playing with ex major junior players and what not.

msv957

Aug 3, 2005
He was a first-round talent that went later because of the potential legal cloud-and the personal issues that might have arisen...well, they haven't, and the kid is making every GM who passed on him extremely jealous this year. Snow took a chance and it's paying off huge.

Kid is fourth among AHL rookies in scoring, with the top two being two years older than Cizikas...fair to say if he keeps playing even close to his recent performance he will get serious ROTY consideration.

Interesting barometer for comparison: note that two highly touted prospects (also 91's) in Peter Holland and Carter Ashton are chasing Cizikas in the scoring race...but neither comes even close as far as plus/minus is concerned...Cizikas is playing in all situations, and doesn't exactly have the same personnel to work with...

Expect to see him up this year for a cup of coffee (or perhaps after the trade deadline?) and a full-timer next year.

Kid's a stud.

Cizikas seems to have a lot of good intangibles with grit and leadership.

He is not a big player at 5'10 so not sure what kind of player he can be at the NHL level. Is he big enough to be a physical checking line player or is he skilled enough to play at the top 6 level?

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002

He is not a big player at 5'10 so not sure what kind of player he can be at the NHL level. Is he big enough to be a physical checking line player or is he skilled enough to play at the top 6 level?

hockeydb.com has him at 6 feet

mbowman

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto/Halifax

the leafs site has mike brown at 5'11", 205, and if he's not a physical checking player, i don't know who is. by all accounts, cizikas is a better player than brown anyways

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad