Carolina to Affiliate with Chicago Wolves and not Charlotte Checkers

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
As the resident Jerk who lives in Indiana and would have close access to Wolves games, I can trust you that Chicago will not mention the Hurricanes whatsoever or cultivate a culture of affiliation.

So... I still don't get the move. Was there a problem with Charlotte?

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
As the resident Jerk who lives in Indiana and would have close access to Wolves games, I can trust you that Chicago will not mention the Hurricanes whatsoever or cultivate a culture of affiliation.

So... I still don't get the move. Was there a problem with Charlotte?

And you know this how?

GindyDraws

Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
And you know this how?

If you go to the Wolves website, compared to the other AHL teams, there's no mention of the NHL parent or affiliate anywhere, and the only possible mention of there being transactions between the two is through the "player transactions" page. Even the other independently owned franchises at least have some semblance of respect towards the NHL club that they are in an agreement towards (from having the team's logo on their jerseys to just having the information on the website banner or sometimes in the team directory), but the Wolves are, well, the lone wolf of the league.

So, if the goal is to foster team pride or awareness, you're better of banging your head on a concrete wall as that has never been their mission statement. And neither has been player development, as far as I'm concerned.

Which, once again, begs the question as to why Carolina, or any team, would affiliate with them unless they were down and out.

Reactions: mattihp

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
If you go to the Wolves website, compared to the other AHL teams, there's no mention of the NHL parent or affiliate anywhere, and the only possible mention of there being transactions between the two is through the "player transactions" page. Even the other independently owned franchises at least have some semblance of respect towards the NHL club that they are in an agreement towards (from having the team's logo on their jerseys to just having the information on the website banner or sometimes in the team directory), but the Wolves are, well, the lone wolf of the league.

So, if the goal is to foster team pride or awareness, you're better of banging your head on a concrete wall as that has never been their mission statement. And neither has been player development, as far as I'm concerned.

Which, once again, begs the question as to why Carolina, or any team, would affiliate with them unless they were down and out.

So you've based your comments on a team's website and jerseys is that it. And from that you've determined that they don't care about developing a player or relationship with the parent club. Ok understood...so let me ask you this...do you pay a store like Walmart for stuff you purchase? Or any store at all grocery or otherwise? Where do you work? Do you advertise on your website that you shop at Walmart? Do you advertise any of the stores you shop at or the place you work? Do you wear a Walmart T-shirt when you shop there or when you're out and about? How about any of the other stores where you shop? Do you advertise where you work on your days off by wearing a shirt or hat that tells where you work?

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
And Jdog just so we are clear...you live in Indy...home of the Fuel also affiliated with the black hawks right? So by proxy that makes you an icehog fan unless you hate the hawks as much as i do...which i doubt.
Having said all of that...isn't it possible that you've allowed your bias to cloud your comments a bit? Isn't it possible that you have simply just jumped on the cute convienent narrative which is to bash the Chicago Wolves whenever possible and so you are just touting the same tired old rhetoric that your many previous partners have spewed? Isn't it possible that is what is happening?

GindyDraws

Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
And Jdog just so we are clear...you live in Indy...home of the Fuel also affiliated with the black hawks right? So by proxy that makes you an icehog fan unless you hate the hawks as much as i do...which i doubt.
Having said all of that...isn't it possible that you've allowed your bias to cloud your comments a bit? Isn't it possible that you have simply just jumped on the cute convienent narrative which is to bash the Chicago Wolves whenever possible and so you are just touting the same tired old rhetoric that your many previous partners have spewed? Isn't it possible that is what is happening?

I actually don't hate the Wolves, it's just when it comes to the new AHL, they're the last of a dying breed. Back when the IHL existed, they came along and wanted to be Chicago's true hockey franchise back when Dollar Bill Wirtz cared more about money than success. 26 years later, it's still the same, though emotions have softened.

If anything, I hate both the new AHL (do you know how often I complain about the Pacific Division & the scheduling inequality?) where teams are beholden to the NHL & also the idea why Carolina would leave an existing agreement for something, at least to me, defies logic.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
I actually don't hate the Wolves, it's just when it comes to the new AHL, they're the last of a dying breed. Back when the IHL existed, they came along and wanted to be Chicago's true hockey franchise back when Dollar Bill Wirtz cared more about money than success. 26 years later, it's still the same, though emotions have softened.

If anything, I hate both the new AHL (do you know how often I complain about the Pacific Division & the scheduling inequality?) where teams are beholden to the NHL & also the idea why Carolina would leave an existing agreement for something, at least to me, defies logic.

Well it's actually pretty simple...you didn't answer my questions, but I'll answer yours anyway. There is a disconnect between the owner of Carolina and the owner of Charlotte...rumor is that the owner of the canes wanted a bigger affliation fee then the owner of charlotte was willing to pay. Their agreement ended this year...if not chicago they would've maybe gone to springfield or maybe somewhere else. Point is Carolina was leaving Charlotte after this season no matter what. Second...Don Waddell and a long history with the Wolves from when they were partners and he ran the Atlanta Thrashers...a 10 year affiliation to be exact. Now back to my questions...why do you think what you said about not caring about their parent club or development is true as it applies to the Wolves? Is it because they don't have the parent clubs logo on their jerseys or the banner of their website?

Reactions: Centrum Hockey

WolfKeeper

Aug 14, 2003
outside Chicago
www.wolfkeeper.org
During the Blues affiliation the Wolves seemed to go out of their way to not mention who the parent club was, even during game broadcasts, mentioning players being loaned or assigned but not their destination.

That was not the case with Vegas these past seasons.

Reactions: mattihp

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
During the Blues affiliation the Wolves seemed to go out of their way to not mention who the parent club was, even during game broadcasts, mentioning players being loaned or assigned but not their destination.

That was not the case with Vegas these past seasons.

Thanks for the info, Vlad!

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Maybe one day the AHL will change the rules and allow the Wolves to be independent of any NHL affiliation, which would require the addition of a 33rd team.

What in the name of everything good in this world makes you think that is appropriate, logical or even likely? They own the franchise rights and regularly develop NHL prospects, and you want them to be passed by? Let alone the issues created with adding a 33rd completely unnecessary team.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
What in the name of everything good in this world makes you think that is appropriate, logical or even likely? They own the franchise rights and regularly develop NHL prospects, and you want them to be passed by? Let alone the issues created with adding a 33rd completely unnecessary team.
@Big Z Man 1990 : "Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time ..." :dunno:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Maybe one day the AHL will change the rules and allow the Wolves to be independent of any NHL affiliation, which would require the addition of a 33rd team.
that ship sailed with the requirement that all teams have an affiliation on hand, or as part of the application process Z, which was tightened after the independents were abolished in the early 1990s, after Baltimore and Binghamton tried unsuccessfully TO field a competitive entry......the league took one look at that after those two non-competitive 'disasters', NO Matter how Pittsburgh viewed their affiliation or their prospect development....

it's the same thing Edmonton went through when they held on to a dormant franchise until the League told them either activate it or lose it, and that awful 5 way prospect development shift they employed after the 1st lockout which is why OKC was then selected.

Chicago knew the rules when the IHL collapsed around them almost 20 years ago now.... about the way the league was operated.....it just happened that Atlanta (Winnipeg) WAS available at that time to fulfill that requirement.

Reactions: DaveG

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg

Very likely can't happen. Just wish the Panthers affiliated with them considering they have tons of flights going from Chicago to Miami, which was the main purpose for Vegas-Chicago/Atlanta-Chicago.

The only way Chicago wouldn't be a problem is if they became the second NHL team in Chicago, which would also never happen as the Wolves are meant to be a competitive minor-league team that's purely family-friendly and Chicago is always crazy for the Blackhawks.

Reactions: Mike Louis

NYRfan85

D'oh!
Jun 2, 2020
South Carolina
As a Checkers fan, I just wish they'd make an official announcement so we can move on. We all know Florida is going to be the next affiliate. I'm a Rangers fan, so losing the Carolina affiliation, while really dumb, does not affect me as much as it's affecting all of the Canes fans I know. I honestly just want to see what the Checkers do to their logo/uniforms etc with the switch to Florida.:nod:

hurricanesfan123

May 1, 2019
North America
As a Checkers fan, I just wish they'd make an official announcement so we can move on. We all know Florida is going to be the next affiliate. I'm a Rangers fan, so losing the Carolina affiliation, while really dumb, does not affect me as much as it's affecting all of the Canes fans I know. I honestly just want to see what the Checkers do to their logo/uniforms etc with the switch to Florida.:nod:[/QUOTE
what a shame was nice having the teams so close.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006

Wolves may not have had an affiliate when you went to the web page..

Never happen

I love how people on this board just start making stuff up or putting out there wild rumours and conjecture. Enjoy the BS. TH out until something interesting comes up.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
During the IHL era, the Wolves did just fine as an indie. The AHL should take that into consideration. Dropping down to the FHL will certainly alienate their fanbase as well.

And so far in the AHL, the Wolves are doing just fine as an independently owned and operated team. They're developing NHL prospects and whoever is affiliated with them won't be spending a ton of money. The AHL is letting them be. They can't be forced to sell.

You must really have an imagination to put the Chicago Wolves and the FHL in the same thought. That is the nicest way I can put that.

Reactions: adsfan and axecrew

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
During the IHL era, the Wolves did just fine as an indie. The AHL should take that into consideration. Dropping down to the FHL will certainly alienate their fanbase as well.
My post about the wolves joining the fed was a joke. It wasn't intended to be taken seriously in anyway.

Reactions: JMCx4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad