Carolina to Affiliate with Chicago Wolves and not Charlotte Checkers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JMCx4

Welcome to: The Dumbing Down Era of HFBoards
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Circumstances have probably made this negotiation a bit less frantic, and hopefully a little more thoughtful. Settling on this partnership would have positive effects on more than just these two teams. Good luck to them.

Gavin Forrester

Feb 28, 2020
Since Florida is the only remaining NHL team without a working agreement for an AHL club it would make sense for them to hook up with Charlotte since it's a short flight between Miami and Charlotte. Better than the distance with Springfield that they had.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Since Florida is the only remaining NHL team without a working agreement for an AHL club it would make sense for them to hook up with Charlotte since it's a short flight between Miami and Charlotte. Better than the distance with Springfield that they had.
Sunrise isn't Miami Dade County it's in Broward County adjacent to Fort Lauderdale

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
That seems kind of surprising from the outside looking in. Was there some acrimony between the Raleigh and Charlotte ownership groups or something?
the change from Carolina ownership might have played a role in that, then there's the Wolves insistence that they be held to a higher standard than the rest of the league..... as to why St. Louis was 'done' AFTER Vegas bought San Antonio.....then there's the rule that you are required to be affiliated to be an active franchise, something they've known in Rosemont since their addition in 2001.

Reactions: Morrison

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Well...Well...Well...GEE..looks like there's going to be a HUGE meal of crow eaten by certain people on this board...You know who you are don't you...I believe you go by the handle that is also what you call a North Carolina University athlete.....MONTHS ago I was told by some that I didn't know what I was talking about and that there was NO WAY Carolina would leave Charlotte and destroy the footprint that they had created...etc...etc blah...blah...blah The line to apologize forms to the left...have some guts and balls and come on here and tell me you are sorry and that yes I did know what I was talking about.

Reactions: cjerina

HRAds

Apr 13, 2007
Is it past the deadline for Charlotte to revert to the echl color scheme, logos and uniforms for 20/21?. Charlotte Checkers Logos - American Hockey League (AHL) - Chris Creamer's Sports Logos Page - SportsLogos.Net

Please go back to this:
317-f.jpg

Jay Kenney Charlotte Checkers Game Worn Jersey | CalderCup2000.com

I get relationships breaking down but this move is stupid for both sides. I'm not sure it doesn't hurt the Hurricanes more in the long run.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Weird move, but the ownership change probably created issues. Dundon watches the bottom line, and I would guess that travel for Chicago is less than what Charlotte had to deal with. plus more practice time for the prospects. Not really sure if it was Charlotte or the Canes that forced it. Moves are probably going to continue next off season......

Ratitude

May 2, 2020
Wow this is absolutely crazy, strange move if you ask me. Then again in the strange world of minor league sports and in a very unprecedented time as this nothing probably should be unexpected. Someone somewhere in the relationship must have ticked someone off, burned some bridges, or things are just getting stupid in this new reality. I cannot see how those in Raleigh would want to not only cause some hard feelings in their Charlotte area fanbase but also give up such a logistical dream arrangement.

Ratitude

May 2, 2020
Florida affiliation in Charlotte, I guess if that's the only alternative for the Checkers then you have little choice. I can't see this being embraced by the Checkers fans with strong emotional attachments to the Canes, I just dont see it as a positive. Travel wise between South Florida and Charlotte isn't terrible. If Utica and Vancouver can begrudgingly make it work then certainly these two can.

After this crazy year toss out all "conventional wisdoms" and all those affiliations and market locations which appeared to make sense. The leagues will be operating in ways and locations never imagined only months ago. Markets may lose teams, arenas may go under, its anyone's guess.

If the virus is going to dictate arena capacity, whether or not large public gatherings will be permitted next season, how food services are handled, and whether or not how the economy is going to take its toll on municipal owned arenas and more important the disposable income of many Americans remains to be seen. Lets not even begin to try and guess the psyche of where everyone will be at in terms of large public gatherings.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
People all around are so "shocked" by this...but shouldn't be. Everyone is forgetting who is running Carolina now and WHO had a 10 year relationship with the Chicago Wolves when he was in charge there...Don Waddell, throw in an owner in Charlotte who has apparently pissed off the owner of Carolina and this isn't a surprise at all. Like I said 3 months ago...Don Waddell was seen leaving Allstate Arena in deep discussion with Don Levin owner of the Wolves earlier this season. Anyone who thinks that this all came about recently as a few months ago is dead wrong...these things have been going on in some form since last summer most likely. They don't happen in a couple of months.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
So much irony in this. The team who beat the Chicago Wolves is kind of turning into the Chicago Wolves, not just that but I think it's stupid because this will likely drive down ticket sales with the Charlotte Checkers, similar with the Abbotsford Heat/Calgary Flames affiliation. I thought Carolina did really well with the Checkers, but prior to the Checkers they hadn't really been the best when it comes to AHL affiliates so I see how this somewhat makes sense. But also, Charlotte is the team furthest from the other teams, the closest one being Hershey.

I thought the Panthers and Wolves would've been excellent partners.

I expect the Panthers to buyout the Checkers and re-locate their team. Although I think Vegas should've just bought the Charlotte Checkers, the Panthers and Rampage had a good relationship.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
So much irony in this. The team who beat the Chicago Wolves is kind of turning into the Chicago Wolves, not just that but I think it's stupid because this will likely drive down ticket sales with the Charlotte Checkers, similar with the Abbotsford Heat/Calgary Flames affiliation. I thought Carolina did really well with the Checkers, but prior to the Checkers they hadn't really been the best when it comes to AHL affiliates so I see how this somewhat makes sense. But also, Charlotte is the team furthest from the other teams, the closest one being Hershey.

I thought the Panthers and Wolves would've been excellent partners.

I expect the Panthers to buyout the Checkers and re-locate their team. Although I think Vegas should've just bought the Charlotte Checkers, the Panthers and Rampage had a good relationship.
The panthers have said before they do not have the cash flow or desire to own a AHL team. Maybe the caps will buy them so they can have a local ahl team in the beltway area without moving the bears

Ratitude

May 2, 2020
This is all going to be interesting. Not just the Canes & Checkers situation but the whole sports entertainment landscape. I can't speak for the average Charlotte Checkers fan but this has got to be huge hit. Be interesting to hear from some longtime Checkers fans (not Canes fans) on their opinions, those are the opinions that count, rest is just outsider speculation.

JMCx4

Welcome to: The Dumbing Down Era of HFBoards
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
The panthers have said before they do not have the cash flow or desire to own a AHL team. Maybe the caps will buy them so they can have a local ahl team in the beltway area without moving the bears
Where would that "local ahl team in the beltway area" call home ice?

Roadhog

May 3, 2020
Toronto
Where would that "local ahl team in the beltway area" call home ice?

Show Place Arena in Upper Marlboro, but it's not quite The Beltway. Bring back the Chesapeake Icebreakers name, logo, and colors in a different league.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
This is all going to be interesting. Not just the Canes & Checkers situation but the whole sports entertainment landscape. I can't speak for the average Charlotte Checkers fan but this has got to be huge hit. Be interesting to hear from some longtime Checkers fans (not Canes fans) on their opinions, those are the opinions that count, rest is just outsider speculation.

As a fan of both (but moreso Canes) I'm ticked off. This is the perfect scenario for Hockey in the Carolinas and those in charge are going to throw it all away, right when the Checkers are coming off a Championship and the Canes are on the upswing. Interest in Hockey is at an all-time high in the state of NC.

W/ social distancing likely to continue for awhile it may not matter next year since no one will be allowed to attend any games but once the fans come back, that's when I question what happens with the Checkers going forward. The Panthers or whoever aren't going to be loyal to this market and who knows if Atlanta and/or Orlando want to "upgrade" from the ECHL in 3-5 years. No reason to think they won't, teams relocate and change affiliation all the time. It's just too bad they didn't (and Norfolk left) do it beforehand and help keep Charlotte from being such an outlier, could have cut down some on travel cost which I'm sure plays a factor in this.

I'm not looking forward to this at all. The Wolves are notoriously bad to partner with and everyone who leaves them dances for motherf***ing joy when they do. This is going to be a huge mistake, but short-term profits talk I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclones Rock

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
As a fan of both (but moreso Canes) I'm ticked off. This is the perfect scenario for Hockey in the Carolinas and those in charge are going to throw it all away, right when the Checkers are coming off a Championship and the Canes are on the upswing. Interest in Hockey is at an all-time high in the state of NC.

W/ social distancing likely to continue for awhile it may not matter next year since no one will be allowed to attend any games but once the fans come back, that's when I question what happens with the Checkers going forward. The Panthers or whoever aren't going to be loyal to this market and who knows if Atlanta and/or Orlando want to "upgrade" from the ECHL in 3-5 years. No reason to think they won't, teams relocate and change affiliation all the time. It's just too bad they didn't (and Norfolk left) do it beforehand and help keep Charlotte from being such an outlier, could have cut down some on travel cost which I'm sure plays a factor in this.

I'm not looking forward to this at all. The Wolves are notoriously bad to partner with and everyone who leaves them dances for motherf***ing joy when they do. This is going to be a huge mistake, but short-term profits talk I guess.

Do you have any actual examples and not my boyfriends cousin's sister in law's mom worked with a guy who said that his aunt second husband's son said so?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad