GDT: Carolina@Minnesota|"What's in a Name?"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Much to my chagrin, my original idea for the GDT went down the tubes when my computer decided to do a late night backup recovery. Complete with a forced restart. Oh well, maybe next time :shakehead

So with that said, it's time for a backup of my own.

Carolina "Candy" Canes vs. Minnesota "Bear...Cat...Thing" Wild

Key matchups to watch:

Matt "I Can Change You" Cooke
Matt Cooke recently approached notorious cheapshot artist, Patrick Kaleta, claiming he can help Kaleta change his ways, much in the same way Cooke has changed his. And it's hard to argue with the results, with Cooke putting up 6 points in 10 games and more importantly, keeping his penalty minutes to a minimum.

vs.

Jiri "Two Goal" Tlusty
Jiri Tlusty's goalscoring touch comes in waves. Or more specifically, pairs. Of Tlusty's past 25 goals scored, 21 of them have been scored in just 10 games. Nine times, he's scored 2 goals a game and had a hattrick in the tenth. Suffice to say, if he scores in a game, there's a good chance he'll score another before the night is through.

---

Jonas "Award Winner" Brodin
Last year was a coming out party for Jonas Brodin. Though he had a very impressive rookie season, he didn't end up the winner of the Calder trophy. That didn't sway HF from claiming him to be the rightful recipient of the award. As well as the Norris, the Vezina, the Adams, and the Conn Smythe.

vs.

Justin "Constantly Confused" Faulk
Already a solid #1/#2 defenseman, Justin Faulk can seemingly do everything on the ice. It's just too bad that off the ice, he just can't seem to take a good photo. Regardless of the situation, Faulk's expressions always seem to be more in line with a Bill and Ted movie.

---

Jared "The Spurgeon General" Spurgeon
Spurgeon had a solid game against the Predators on Tuesday. He played almost 25 minutes of icetime in the Wild's 2-0 win over Nashville. That score might not have held had he not made a game-saving goalline stick play in the final seconds of that game, prompting Carolina's own Kevin Weekes to give him the nickname, "The Spurgeon General".

vs.

Ron "Six Shooter" Hainsey
Well, a broken clock is right twice a day and a blind squirrel will occasionally find a nut. And there's only so many times you can post "6 goals by Hainsey" before some of that mojo starts to find its way onto his stick. After going 116 games without a goal before coming to Carolina, Hainsey's got 2 in this young season, on some of the nastiest snipes you'll find.

---

Zach "**** That Guy" Parise
After leaving New Jersey on less than happy terms, Parise's name was mentioned so much with the phrase, it felt only appropriate to attach the two.

vs.

Alex "**** That Guy" Semin
After leaving Washington on less than happy terms, Semin's name...

---

Mikko "Not Saku" Koivu
With Saku taking the spotlight as captain of the biggest franchise in hockey (subject to who you ask), Mikko flew under the radar early in his career, known mostly as "Saku's brother". However, Saku's decline with age and Mikko's defensive prowness have allowed Mikko to become a recognizable player in his own right.

vs.

Eric "Head Goose" Staal

Someone help me out with this one. I remember it was Tripp who started it, and I'm pretty sure it had something to do with the team falling in formation behind him, but I'm not 100% about the whole thing.

---

Lineups and pictures tomorrow. Got to make it fancy. :laugh:

EQV

Aug 2, 2011
Someone tell the powers that be to stop scheduling Hurricanes and Panthers games at the same time. This is the third time this month I'll have football on TV and the 'Canes on my laptop.

As for the game, 'Canes win 1-0. Hainsey aims a slapshot directly at Cooke's mouth, which knocks out all of his teeth before somehow ending up in the back of the net.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Someone tell the powers that be to stop scheduling Hurricanes and Panthers games at the same time. This is the third time this month I'll have football on TV and the 'Canes on my laptop.

Well, in fairness to the powers that be, they probably thought that 1 or both of the teams would suck badly enough that most people would not want to watch both. Who knew that both teams would be ~.500 and 2nd in their respective conferences. :laugh:

bluedevil58*

This is a very well-structured team that we're going up against tonight. We have to stay out of the penalty box if we want to win this one. This is going to be a BIG test.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I'll bet you were seriously disappointed in having to settle for this matchup, now that Justin Falk plays for the Rangers.

When it happened, yeah, I was a little annoyed. Though now it just means when we grab Marc, we'll have to grab Falk as well.

:sarcasm:

bluedevil58*

Is Gleason and/or Lindholm playing tonight? Anyone know? Anyone.....? Anyone..........?

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919

Not to mention the nine other hockey games on tonight, as opposed to just two last night. Channel hopping galore, especially if one or both of the Canes and Cats come out and lay a big fat egg.

Anyway, expect former NHLer who still plays in the NHL and makes "****ing All Star" money Dany Heatley to net at least 1 goal tonight, because Canes gonna Cane. I know they've been struggling despite getting plenty of chances, but I'm actually worried that Minnesota's offense might start clicking tonight.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
This is a very well-structured team that we're going up against tonight. We have to stay out of the penalty box if we want to win this one. This is going to be a BIG test.

they are and have usually been controlling the play. their possession is dominant and they've been shooting alot. puck luck or something just keeping it out of the net.
the D will have to try to keep them to low quality/outside shots and Ward will have to play big. it will be a "BIG" test. the NEXT THREE will be. if they collapse with no break out, get beat in the neutral zone and don't setup (as has been the style thus far), they will lose this one. in other words aggressive play, not allowing them to dictate. sitting back and letting them own the D-zone will result in high G/A. quick transition and possession battles will be key unless Ward is able to steal the game for the team IMO.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
It really depends on two things:

1. Minnesota completely dominated the Nashville game, yet could only score 1 goal (not including the ENG). Their offense this year has been lacking...to put it nicely. If this team can hold the Wild scoreless until the 2nd, that might put some doubt into the Minnesota players.

2. Carolina's had a relatively long time off between games. Is the team going to come out rested and prepared? Or will the long break cause some delay in getting back into "game shape"?

So basically, the first period will be a pretty good indicator on how the night will play out.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
This will be a tough game. Especially given how the west has owned the east this year. But our whole start to the year has been a big test and the Canes have done pretty well with it so far. Hopefully the Canes will show the benefits of rest and not rust. I think they take this one.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
So basically, the first period will be a pretty good indicator on how the night will play out.

...can't tell if is a joke. Historically, I'd agree. But this season, the only indicator the 1st period has been is what's not going to happen in the 3rd period.

Oenatzu

Chad-in-the-Box
Mar 7, 2010
Lineup according to Chip:

Tlusty-EStaal-Semin
Gerbe-JStaal-Dvorak
Skinner-Nash-Ruutu
Bowman-Sutter-Westgarth

Sekera-Faulk
Hainsey-Bellemore
Harrison-Murphy

Gleason and Lindholm not playing tonight. Dwyer day-to-day.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Lineup according to Chip:

Tlusty-EStaal-Semin
Gerbe-JStaal-Dvorak
Skinner-Nash-Ruutu
Bowman-Sutter-Westgarth

Sekera-Faulk
Hainsey-Bellemore
Harrison-Murphy

Gleason and Lindholm not playing tonight. Dwyer day-to-day.

i really like j staal's line w/o dwyer here. dwyer is a decent player, but he's been over-slotted in my opinion over the past yr or so in the top 9. he just doesn't have the offensive skill to justify a top 9 slot.

hopefully dvorak can mesh w/ j staal and gerbe so dwyer can be slotted into 4th line role more suited to his talent level (scoring-wise at least).

i like the lines as a whole as well, slot lindholm back into the 3c when he gets back, then either slide nash down to center sutter and dwyer, or maybe eventually malhotra is signed for that 4c role...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad