Proposal: Carolina - Columbus

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
9 is getting silly. Jarvis isn’t a 9 million dollar player so that sword cuts both ways.

And that’s two firsts coming back at 9. I think the Canes would be doing well to not sign it then.

$9.16m is the cutoff where it becomes 2 firsts.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I don't think Columbus needs overrated Nečas. A power forward would be more ideal. Or a defensive d-man.

Reactions: Ciao

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
$9.16m is the cutoff where it becomes 2 firsts.
No. When it is an RFA you take the total contract value and average it over 5 years (if it's signed for 5 years or more). Doesn't matter if it is a 6 or 7 year deal and no team except for Carolina can sign him to an 8 year deal.

Even a deal of 7x$7AVV actually falls into the 2 x 1st + 2nd + 3rd category.

7x7 = $49... then divide by 5 and you get $9.8.

The highest a team could go on a 7 year deal and keep it to the 1st + 2nd + 3rd compensation would be 7 x $6.5... which I mean, go right ahead and please get Jarvis to sign that so we can match ;)

This is why the only way to poach is to do a higher AAV than the controlling team is willing to spend on a shorter term. But you also need to thread the needle and find a player who is feeling potentially undervalued by the current team and not getting a contract offer close to what they want.

So, it worked in KK's case when it happened. Laf would have been a prime target last year and I really don't get why someone didn't offer him 2 or 3 years x $4.5m or something like that. Could have gotten him for a 2nd.

Last edited:

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
On one hand, I want Nečas to stay in CAR. On the other hand… those are fighting words kurva.
Martin Nečas stats in the last season 2022/23 (they had better than this year) and the spot in the team (more than 500 minutes) and compare him with Laine (because people often say about trade these players).

Martin Nečas

82 28 43 71

GF% 53,57 - 16 in the team
xGF% 55,54 - 18 in the team

PP/60 1,85
G/60 0,69
A/60 1,10

Patrik Laine (with his injuries and our roster)

55 22 30 52

GF% 52,17 (only him had more than 50)
xGF% 46,78 - 6 in the team, the best Jenner had 47,81)

PP/60 2,24
G/60 0,97
A/60 1,27

And now how these boys made his partners better:

Martin Nečas
Lumii_20240614_124052634.jpg

Lumii_20240614_123508611.jpg

Patrik Laine

Lumii_20240614_124014914.jpg

Lumii_20240614_123833020.jpg

Stats totals. Laine had better stats mostly. And he made his partners better, which is impossible to say about Martin (btw, this season was similar, Martin didn't partners better).

I also suggest to equalize the partners, especially the d-men.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
No. When it is an RFA you take the total contract value and average it over 5 years (if it's signed for 5 years or more). Doesn't matter if it is a 6 or 7 year deal and no team except for Carolina can sign him to an 8 year deal.

Even a deal of 7x$7AVV actually falls into the 2 x 1st + 2nd + 3rd category.

7x7 = $49... then divide by 5 and you get $9.8.

The highest a team could go on a 7 year deal and keep it to the 1st + 2nd + 3rd compensation would be 7 x $6.5... which I mean, go right ahead and please get Jarvis to sign that so we can match ;)

This is why the only way to poach is to do a higher AAV than the controlling team is willing to spend on a shorter term. But you also need to thread the needle and find a player who is feeling potentially undervalued by the current team and not getting a contract offer close to what they want.

So, it worked in KK's case when it happened. Laf would have been a prime target last year and I really don't get why someone didn't offer him 2 or 3 years x $4.5m or something like that. Could have gotten him for a 2nd.

Thanks for the intel.

Then I think $9m x 5 would be the sort of sweetspot that Carolina would have a hard time with.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Thanks for the intel.

Then I think $9m x 5 would be the sort of sweetspot that Carolina would have a hard time with.
Yes for sure. If someone signed Jarvis to that contract it would incredibly suck for Carolina. I don’t think anyone is going to offer it but that would require Canes to either overpay for non UFA years or lose Jarvis for just a 1st + 2nd + 3rd

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Yes for sure. If someone signed Jarvis to that contract it would incredibly suck for Carolina. I don’t think anyone is going to offer it but that would require Canes to either overpay for non UFA years or lose Jarvis for just a 1st + 2nd + 3rd
Well that would be one way for Necas to get a larger, more impactful role on the Canes. :sarcasm:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
After Laine wanting out, I`d suppose he could very well be a fit in Carolina with Aho. Here it goes:

Columbus get:

Jesperi Kotkaniemi 4.85M UFA 2030
Martin Necas RFA expecting 5-6M/7yrs

Carolina get:

Patrik Laine 8,7M UFA 2026

Some minor changes could be made, but theese are the main pieces.
Why wouldn’t the Canes just keep Nescas and give him the 7/6 x 7 you’re suggesting he wants? Laine is a huge question mark. And an awfully expensive one on the cap.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
9 is getting silly. Jarvis isn’t a 9 million dollar player so that sword cuts both ways.

And that’s two firsts coming back at 9. I think the Canes would be doing well to not sign it then.
Compensation would be higher. 7x9 is $63 million. Compensation is based on 5 years max, so that’s the equivalent of 12.6 million AAV, or 4 firsts.

drede

Jul 13, 2023
Compensation would be higher. 7x9 is $63 million. Compensation is based on 5 years max, so that’s the equivalent of 12.6 million AAV, or 4 firsts.
He said 5 years at 9m so wouldn't be 4 1sts

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
He said 5 years at 9m so wouldn't be 4 1sts
Nah - the poster he quoted floated out $9 x 8 years (not even possible as only the Canes can offer an 8th year).

Another poster then came back with $9m x 5 years which would be the sweet spot for rock and hard place for Carolina. Very unlikely that happens I would think.

These are the only teams (currently) able to make that offer...

BUF, CHI, DET, LAK, MIN, MTL, NYI, NAS, PHI, SEA, STL, UTA, WAS

Makes no sense for CHI, MTL, UTA based on the fact that they would be giving up potential top 5 picks. SEA not far off. Buf doesn't need forwards. LAK doesn't have cap space (NYI probably not either).

DET, MIN, NAS, PHI, STL, WAS I guess could do it. They are middle bubble teams that are either trying to make the playoffs after being on the bottom for a bit or teams who were competitive but have slipped in recent years. NAS, having the best team of the 6.

I guess if any of those teams made the offer of 5 x $9m we will have to cross that bridge when we get to it.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Nah - the poster he quoted floated out $9 x 8 years (not even possible as only the Canes can offer an 8th year).

Another poster then came back with $9m x 5 years which would be the sweet spot for rock and hard place for Carolina. Very unlikely that happens I would think.

These are the only teams (currently) able to make that offer...

BUF, CHI, DET, LAK, MIN, MTL, NYI, NAS, PHI, SEA, STL, UTA, WAS

Makes no sense for CHI, MTL, UTA based on the fact that they would be giving up potential top 5 picks. SEA not far off. Buf doesn't need forwards. LAK doesn't have cap space (NYI probably not either).

DET, MIN, NAS, PHI, STL, WAS I guess could do it. They are middle bubble teams that are either trying to make the playoffs after being on the bottom for a bit or teams who were competitive but have slipped in recent years. NAS, having the best team of the 6.

I guess if any of those teams made the offer of 5 x $9m we will have to cross that bridge when we get to it.
I don't believe the Canes will let it get to that point. They will either trade Necas or get him signed in some way.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I don't believe the Canes will let it get to that point. They will either trade Necas or get him signed in some way.
Somehow this thread is now talking about Jarvis and getting poached as an RFA, not Necas anymore. If someone wants to go ahead and sign Necas to a $9AAV deal they can go right ahead and the Canes will take that compensation I would imagine. It’s not their preference but 1st + 2nd + 3rd is better than the offers that have come in on this board for him

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,770.00