Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] F Sebastian Aho signs extension with the Hurricanes (8 years, $9.75M AAV)

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
Over the past 5 seasons, Aho has the 14th most goals and 23rd most points among NHL players. This, while being on a team that focuses on defense (top 3 defensive team in the NHL over that stretch) and for a player that plays in all situations. He's AVERAGED 38G, 81P per 82 games for the last 5 seasons combined and he rarely has missed much time for injury (Covid shortened seasons are the reason for less games played for 2 of the seasons).

His contract extension, would make him the 17th highest paid player in the NHL today, if his contract were to start today, but it won't. His contract starts next year where a number of other players (Pettersson, Nylander, Dahlin, etc..) may likely get paid more than Aho, pushing him to around 20th.

In an environment where the cap is increasing, his contract is just fine based on his production and performance in all situations at both ends of the ice. I don't think it's a "steal" or "discount", but it's inline with his production and performance especially with the cap rising.
I get that, it’s just not a “great deal”

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Comparing Aho to Nylander doesn't make much sense since they're playing different positions and are quite different players overall. Aho's a better two-way player but Nylander have a way higher offensive ceiling and offensive edge to his game. Carolina these last playoffs when their offense dried up against Florida could've really needed someone to step a bit outside the box to break the games open, but Aho's not really that type of player who just styles on everyone individually, he's more of a combination player.

Jaska

Oct 1, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Comparing Aho to Nylander doesn't make much sense since they're playing different positions and are quite different players overall. Aho's a better two-way player but Nylander have a way higher offensive ceiling and offensive edge to his game. Carolina these last playoffs when their offense dried up against Florida could've really needed someone to step a bit outside the box to break the games open, but Aho's not really that type of player who just styles on everyone individually, he's more of a combination player.
That. Nylander really dragged Leafs in the PO's.

Reactions: jiitu

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

Define 'Nylander have a way higher offensive ceiling and offensive edge to his game'... Because Willy is a year older than Aho, and other than last year, he's never had a better season than him except for Aho's rookie year vs. Nylander's 2nd year.

And last year, Nylander's best season is on par (maybe sliiiiiiiiightly better) with like 4 of Aho's previous 4 seasons. So, like what are we talking about here?

Nylander, an older player, who has only outproduced Aho once has a way higher ceiling, but Aho, who is younger, has already peaked?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
In an environment where the cap is increasing, his contract is just fine based on his production and performance in all situations at both ends of the ice. I don't think it's a "steal" or "discount", but it's inline with his production and performance especially with the cap rising.
It's a fair enough contract where if he becomes a 90 point guy or drops to a 70 point guy, it's still palatable for both sides.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I get that, it’s just not a “great deal”
True, it's not a "great deal", but the posters I quoted, yourself included, were questioning if the deal was even a fair deal, thus my response to refute that. You even said his last deal was too much.

Thus, I was just showing that based on:
1) sustained performance over a 5 year period while being used in all situations and his ranking among the league.
2) Other contracts around the league
3) A rising cap environment

It is indeed a reasonable deal. Not a steal, not a great deal, just a fair one.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Most are saying it’s a great deal, just wondering what a fair deal would have been? 10.5?
I think it's fair for Aho as is but I also think on the open market as a UFA he could probably get 12+ so in that sense it's a great deal for the team. But that UFA price would largely be due to 1Cs pretty much never becoming available so there would be a bidding war and premium associated with that. It's great for the Canes that he didn't play hardball or try to get the most $ he possibly could as losing him would create a void that would be nearly impossible to fill and would result in the team likely not being a true contender until it was filled.

If Aho did play hardball and wanted 11.5-12+ the team would pretty much have to give it to him and personally as a fan of the team I'd rather pay him that then let him walk. Glad he isn't just going for max possible $ like some star players for a certain popular team up north seem to be doing...

Last edited:

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Most are saying it’s a great deal, just wondering what a fair deal would have been? 10.5?
Aho is making $9.75 for the next 8 years after this season. John Tavares signed for 7x$11m before the 2018/2019 season. I'd say they aren't too far off from in terms of on ice value through this point in their careers. Tavares, obviously the better goal scorer with Aho being better all-around. So, ya, on the open market I'm sure Aho could have gotten a heck of a lot more especially with the cap going up.

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
Indeed it is a bad move for both parties. Aho is not the guy to build the team around, if one is going for a successful campaign at the Cup. Aho in a more complimentary role elsewhere, with a good return for the Canes in futures and prospects (which would enable the Cup Run in the future) would have been optimal. But it is what it is.
@tapi cannot be happy about this development.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Indeed it is a bad move for both parties. Aho is not the guy to build the team around, if one is going for a successful Cup Run. Aho in a more complimentary role elsewhere, with a good return for the Canes in futures and prospects (which would enable the Cup Run in the future) would have been optimal. But it is what it is.
I admire your persistence for keeping up this schtick after all these years.

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
True, it's not a "great deal", but the posters I quoted, yourself included, were questioning if the deal was even a fair deal, thus my response to refute that. You even said his last deal was too much.

Thus, I was just showing that based on:
1) sustained performance over a 5 year period while being used in all situations and his ranking among the league.
2) Other contracts around the league
3) A rising cap environment

It is indeed a reasonable deal. Not a steal, not a great deal, just a fair one.
With the salary cap as it is now, that’s quite the bit of money. You’re right going forward, 10m will be the new 7 in 2-3 years of cap rise

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I think it's fair for Aho as is but I also think on the open market as a UFA he could probably get 12+ so in that sense it's a great deal for the team. But that UFA price would largely be due to 1Cs pretty much never becoming available so there would be a bidding war and premium associated with that. It's great for the Canes that he didn't play hardball or try to get the most $ he possibly could as losing him would create a void that would be nearly impossible to fill and would result in the team likely not being a true contender until it was filled.

If Aho did play hardball and wanted 11.5-12+ the team would pretty much have to give it to him and personally as a fan of the team I'd rather pay him that then let him walk. Glad he isn't just going for max possible $ like some star players for a certain popular team up north seem to be doing...
So top end but still worth paying, 12 million per year for Aho. Thanks for the input.

Aho is making $9.75 for the next 8 years after this season. John Tavares signed for 7x$11m before the 2018/2019 season. I'd say they aren't too far off from in terms of on ice value through this point in their careers. Tavares, obviously the better goal scorer with Aho being better all-around. So, ya, on the open market I'm sure Aho could have gotten a heck of a lot more especially with the cap going up.
Thanks

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Is he not a #1C for the Hurricanes Franchise.

In professional sports, a franchise player is an athlete who is both the best player on their team and one that the team can build their "franchise" around for the foreseeable future.

You cannot build a franchise on a 1 B player. And I say the same with the Habs and Sukuki.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
good-for-you-way-to-go.gif

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Glad he isn't just going for max possible $ like some star players
This may be one thing that is a plus in the European players. Funnily, in similar fashion as in the Entry Draft wikipedia entries where the projected top picks are separated to North American skaters and European skaters, the European guys' perceived standing in the league doesn't seem to be so much determined by their salary in comparison to the American players. Meanwhile, (the audience perception of) the cock-measuring contest in the form of salary seem to be much more fierce between the North American top players. The McDavids, Matthewses, Marners, Eichels etc. are kind of expected to impose dominance by getting their price tag as high as possible, while it's a truism of sorts that a top European player can't quite expect the same salary as the top North American players are paid so the're no external pressure to push for it.

A part of Toronto's woes with the salary cap come from Marner having to had a contract that doesn't shy in comparison to Matthews'. Marner just had to have that $16M over Matthews' $15.9M for the 2019-20 season (first of both contracts) after having gotten screwed out of the ELC Schedule B performance bonuses by Lou. That, the contract length and the variability rules drove the contract more expensive that it maybe had to be.

Reactions: Primetime8

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Are you sure about Tavares being the better goal scorer?! Tavares had 207 goals in 510 games by the time he turned 26. Aho just turned 26 and he's at 218 goals in 520 games. That's 11 more goals for Aho in 10 more games. Tavares had 3 30 goal seasons at that time, while Aho has 4 30 goal seasons. Both Aho and Tavares at 26 has the same career low 24 goals and the same career high 38 goals. Seems like they're pretty close goal scoring wise if you ask me. But Aho will probably age better as he's a far superior skater and will most likely have more goals when he turns 33, than the 427 career goals that Tavares has now that he's about to turn 33.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad