Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] F Martin Necas re-signs with the Hurricanes (2 years, $6.5M AAV)

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
Lower his value as it takes him straight to UFA. If a team trades for him they won't be able to negotiate before next season.

I guess the Canes were disappointed with the offers so far and want to buy out some extra time.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
It's a reasonable enough cap hit for now. They sort of sidestepped the real issues here, kicking the can down the road. They get him for a price where they can get their other business done now, for the year. But beyond this year...it puts him in a bit of a further devalued position as a trade chip next summer. Unless it's a team where they're confident they can get him signed to an actually reasonable long-term deal.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
It's a reasonable enough cap hit for now. They sort of sidestepped the real issues here, kicking the can down the road. They get him for a price where they can get their other business done now, for the year. But beyond this year...it puts him in a bit of a further devalued position as a trade chip next summer. Unless it's a team where they're confident they can get him signed to an actually reasonable long-term deal.
I'm not entirely convinced he'll get traded at all (though it's still probably the most likely outcome). But he's been wanting more of an opportunity to be a primary offensive player, and this year he should get it.

A big season from him could change a lot for both parties. He's got the potential to score 70-80 points if given PP1 deployments. He brings an element of dynamism and instant offense that the Hurricanes really lack. He's the ideal guy who can carry weaker secondary offensive players behind a top line.

I think running something like the below could work out pretty well for Necas, especially if they find a spot for him on PP1 again:

Jarvis - Aho - Roslovic
Svechnikov - Drury/Kotkaniemi - Necas
Fast - Staal - Martinook
Carrier - Drury/Kotkaniemi - Robinson

They could even experiment with him at center again, see if he's able to find his game there.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Nescas is (imo) going to put up numbers similar to William Nylander. He shows a lot of Nylander’s ability to push play carrying the puck.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
what was all the frothing at the mouth about wanting 9.5 million and he's as good as gone

I'm sure he does want that much money but it doesn't mean he would get it. The olive branch to him is getting only a two year deal so he can go to the highest bidder in two years or cash in later.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Nescas is (imo) going to put up numbers similar to William Nylander. He shows a lot of Nylander’s ability to push play carrying the puck.
Maybe, but Nylander has more ability to slow the play down and make plays or find open space than Necas. He's also stronger on his skates than Necas.

I would be surprised, but happily surprised, if Necas came anywhere near Nylander's numbers, because he's not as good as Nylandaer, but also given the style of play the Canes employ.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Maybe, but Nylander has more ability to slow the play down and make plays or find open space than Necas. He's also stronger on his skates than Necas.

I would be surprised, but happily surprised, if Necas came anywhere near Nylander's numbers, because he's not as good as Nylandaer, but also given the style of play the Canes employ.
Yeah he doesn't see the ice as well as Nylander, but he's even more dynamic with his ability to challenge defenders. And he's got the better one timer.

Interestingly enough, Nylander's career high was only 61 points when he was Necas's age - he still hadn't really broken out to the level we've seen the last 3 years. Nylander did seem to do a fair amount of filling out between the ages of 22 and 27 (13 lbs based on what I have seen), Necas could certainly benefit from some of the same if he's able to.

Regardless, I think Necas still has another level he can get to, similar to the way Nylander did, but probably not to the same extent. I think a reasonable peak/ceiling for him probably an ~85 point player, but he probably needs to add a bit more thickness like Nylander did.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Good deal for the Canes, not so much for Necas.
He's going to look to break to bank on his next deal. Can't see that hapening in Carolina.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I'm not entirely convinced he'll get traded at all (though it's still probably the most likely outcome). But he's been wanting more of an opportunity to be a primary offensive player, and this year he should get it.

A big season from him could change a lot for both parties. He's got the potential to score 70-80 points if given PP1 deployments. He brings an element of dynamism and instant offense that the Hurricanes really lack. He's the ideal guy who can carry weaker secondary offensive players behind a top line.

I think running something like the below could work out pretty well for Necas, especially if they find a spot for him on PP1 again:

Jarvis - Aho - Roslovic
Svechnikov - Drury/Kotkaniemi - Necas
Fast - Staal - Martinook
Carrier - Drury/Kotkaniemi - Robinson

They could even experiment with him at center again, see if he's able to find his game there.
He should be on the first line but that leaves Svechnikov with nothing to work with. Looks like a bottom 10 lineup to me.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Its not like we want him on the team. He's not a great fit and we've been actively trying to trade him, he just refuses to sign with any of the teams we had a framework for a deal with (hearing those were at least Columbus, Buffalo, and Winnipeg)
This is why people saying "he wants out" are wrong. He had opportunities to leave and didn't take them.

He wants to be a UFA, that it. Carolina will probably keep trying to trade him but if the cost doesn't come down, he'll probably just walk after two years since I can't imagine him being a deadline rental his final season.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Our projected 1st line is likely:

Svechnikov/Aho/Necas or Jarvis
Hopefully Svechnikov - Aho - Jarvis. I have Jarvis in my keeper league. That would leave Necas with 3rd line level linemates. With the forwards and defense depleted they will be in a fight for a playoff spot.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Hopefully Svechnikov - Aho - Jarvis. I have Jarvis in my keeper league. That would leave Necas with 3rd line level linemates. With the forwards and defense depleted they will be in a fight for a playoff spot.
Defense isn't really depleted though in a significant sense. It's not as good as last year but not by much.

Slavin - Burns
Orlov - Chat/Walker
Ghost - Chat/Walker

That's still a really solid d-core.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Our projected 1st line is likely:

Svechnikov/Aho/Necas or Jarvis
We really need to break that foursome evenly across 2 lines if we hope to not be extremely shallow upfront. Something like:

XXX/Aho/Jarvis
Svechnikov/YYY/Necas

...where XXX and YYY are revolving slots until something clicks into a working line.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
We really need to break that foursome evenly across 2 lines if we hope to not be extremely shallow upfront. Something like:

XXX/Aho/Jarvis
Svechnikov/YYY/Necas

...where XXX and YYY are revolving slots until something clicks into a working line.
This is how I see it. They currently have 4, proven top 6 forwards in Aho, Jarvis, Necas and Svechnikov. I see pairs, Aho and Jarvis, Necas and Svechnikov. Those are the basis of 2 scoring lines. Plug Drury or Kotkaniemi between Svechnikov and Necas and there’s one lines.

Who plays LW on that top line is a mystery. Could end up being Svechnikov, but then you weaken your second line considerably. Roslovic is a nice complimentary player, but a RW. All the prospects rumored to be close to NHL readiness are RWs too. Well, maybe Nadeau is listed as a LW, but he’s a righty and a Smurf. He’d get his head taken off on a line with Aho and Jarvis.

It’ll be interesting to see how the forwards shake out. They seem incomplete, but cap room and available plugs are scarce.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
The Canes may have turned down Mcgroarty, Perfetti, and a pick according Seravelli. Though it sounds like he may have just pulled that out of his ass.

That would have been a pretty massive package.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Surprised it’s not longer .
1722389449297.png

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
The Canes may have turned down Mcgroarty, Perfetti, and a pick according Seravelli. Though it sounds like he may have just pulled that out of his ass.

That would have been a pretty massive package.
If it was offered the only reason it wouldn't go through is if Necas refused to go to Winnipeg. Can't see Chevy making that offer though.

Reactions: Fatass

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad