Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] F Martin Necas re-signs with the Hurricanes (2 years, $6.5M AAV)

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
If I had to guess:

-Necas wants out.
-There was no trade available Carolina would be willing to make.
-Necas hits UFA ASAP.
-Carolina gets him on the roster now, and can either try to repair the relationship, let him walk to UFA or trade him as a rental.
Its not like we want him on the team. He's not a great fit and we've been actively trying to trade him, he just refuses to sign with any of the teams we had a framework for a deal with (hearing those were at least Columbus, Buffalo, and Winnipeg)

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I guess a trade, or a currently unknown LTIR will be coming ?

Canes have 6.4 to sign Jarvis. I imagine they want long-term and he's going to cost more than 6.4.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Do you think Canes try to re-sign him in 2026 or trade him at some point?

I can't imagine they let him walk to free agency as a rental.
I think they want to keep him for now, they’ve lost a few guys obviously this summer and none of the replacements are going to score. They’ve actually got a situation that’s ideal for him now. He doesn’t have much in his way for getting a bigger role and more responsibility. I think they’d sign him long term if this next year went well, but it does seem like he’s got it in his head that he needs a clean slate somewhere else.

This basically punts the situation to next summer when they’ll look at trading him again if he still wants it. As of today the Canes need him. Once they got through the first day of free agency I didn’t think they were going to trade him this year.

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
I guess a trade, or a currently unknown LTIR will be coming ?

Canes have 6.4 to sign Jarvis. I imagine they want long-term and he's going to cost more than 6.4.
6.4 showing on puckpedia is with 14 F and 7 D, not including jarvis.

they can easily send morrow, nadeau, and let's say jost down and add another 2.5ish million. heck, just morrow and nadeau, so no waiver issues, saves 1.8 million. plenty for jarvis. the other wildcard is fast's neck injury - maybe LTIR there.

Reactions: DaveG

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Do you think Canes try to re-sign him in 2026 or trade him at some point?

I can't imagine they let him walk to free agency as a rental.
I think this season they try to mend things as much as possible but I'll in no way be surprised when his name is coming up around the draft as the big name on the trade block again this summer if that doesn't work out. If it DOES work out this actually works out nicely for the Canes extending him since Nikishin should be on the way over from Russia at the end of this season and the canes have a bit over 12M in cap space opening up between Orlov and Burns hitting UFA after this year. Though wouldn't be surprised if Burns takes a 1 year deal to come back to help the PP at least.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He was about to hit arbitration. This is probably what he would’ve gotten from that and it settles their issues for the time being.

Does it settle the issues? Or Does it just kick them the road a year or 2?

I kind of think it just kicks them down the road a year or 2

Reactions: 12ozPapa

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Solid deal for the Canes. He's easily worth it and it buys them time to either rework the team with him still around or figure out a trade.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Solid deal for team in RFA years that takes him straight to UFA where he can land a big long term deal.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Does it settle the issues? Or Does it just kick them the road a year or 2?

I kind of think it just kicks them down the road a year or 2
It just settles it for now and allows the team to sign Jarvis. It basically recreates this past situation again next summer, which is what I meant when I said it settles the issue for the time being.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad