Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] D Tony DeAngelo signs with the Hurricanes (1 year, $1.675M)

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
No, there's just no place on a legitimate NHL team for a defenceman who can't play defence and refuses to try. His play in his own zone is simply unacceptable.
I mean the Norris winner this year has terrible defensive metrics, so I'm guessing your animosity toward him stems from somwehere else.....

As an aside, I did just see this on 𝕏 (lol)

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
No, there's just no place on a legitimate NHL team for a defenceman who can't play defence and refuses to try. His play in his own zone is simply unacceptable.
His biggest issue defensively for the Canes was he hustled too hard and would occasionally skate right past the play. He sprints all over the ice, especially in his own end. “Refuses to try” is comical. For us he was the exact opposite.

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
That don't wash on a team coached by Brind'Amour. Wasn't an issue the season before last.
He moaned and complained when Torts threw him in the press box where he belongs.

I mean the Norris winner this year has terrible defensive metrics, so I'm guessing your animosity toward him stems from somwehere else.....

As an aside, I did just see this on 𝕏 (lol)

Personally I think Karlsson winning the Norris is an absolute joke and be should be spending significant time in the press box.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
His biggest issue defensively for the Canes was he hustled too hard and would occasionally skate right past the play. He sprints all over the ice, especially in his own end. “Refuses to try” is comical. For us he was the exact opposite.
100%. He was all effort all the time as the Canes. With Brind'Amour as coach, we simply haven't had any players float for substantial amounts of time. Tony, to his credit, bought in even more than an average NHLer. He loved playing for Brindy. I don't want to overstate, but he thrived under Brindy. +30. Set a Carolina Hurricanes record for points by defenseman (broken next year by Brent Burns). He was fabulous next to Slavin. People give Dougie all kinds of praise (rightly so) for being a powerplay beast, but offensively I'd say TDA was superior. In 3 years, Dougie was +0, +30, +20. In his 1 year, TDA was +30. Dougie scored 0.657 points per game in his time here, TDA 0.844. Dougie scored 37 powerplay points in 3 years, (0.201 per game), TDA had 20 powerplay points (0.313 per game).

(I think Dougie is the more complete and better overall player, but it's worth mentioning just how well TDA was for us.)

It's crazy to me how people can rag on this contract. He was fabulous for us two years ago. This is the perfect team for him. He is not good defensively, but in our system that will be largely covered up. Furthermore, he was pretty poor against the Rangers in the 22' playoffs (and so was most of the team), but he was a huge reason why we beat Boston in 7 that year. At $1.675M, that's insane value. His value around the league should be probably on par with Gostisbehere or better, and the only reason we are getting him at a discount is his suspensions from years past.

Bottle Rocket

Jul 23, 2023
I don't like the Canes since that Aho and then KK fiasco. It forced the Habs to react and they made a bad trade out of desperation.

But I must say they have patiently crafted a very good roster. If they can keep his personality from disrupting their focus, this is a great signing. And they might very well be able to do that, he is a known commodity there. Their D is impressive.

They could even trade one of their D's now to acquire another piece up front or a goalie. To me the biggest question mark is their average somewhat injury prone goaltending, but they are 3 goalies deep and unlike many other teams their 3rd option is quality without requiring waiver.

They could be all in this year. Meaning sacrificing something meaningful like a good prospect for once (they never seem to fully commit) to go all the way.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I don't like the Canes since that Aho and then KK fiasco. It forced the Habs to react and they made a bad trade out of desperation.

But I must say they have patiently crafted a very good roster. If they can keep his personality from disrupting their focus, this is a great signing. And they might very well be able to do that, he is a known commodity there. Their D is impressive.

They could even trade one of their D's now to acquire another piece up front or a goalie. To me the biggest question mark is their average somewhat injury prone goaltending, but they are 3 goalies deep and unlike many other teams their 3rd option is quality without requiring waiver.

They could be all in this year. Meaning sacrificing something meaningful like a good prospect for once (they never seem to fully commit) to go all the way.

How is acquiring another goalie a possibility? One is their young goalie of the future and the other two they literally just signed in free agency. How and why would you trade any of them to bring in another goalie?

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Bottle Rocket

Jul 23, 2023
How is acquiring another goalie a possibility? One is their young goalie of the future and the other two they literally just signed in free agency. How and why would you trade any of them to bring in another goalie?
Unlikely indeed, they seem to have made their choice by keeping last season's tenders. It seems to be a weakness in an otherwise very solid team.

At 1.5M Raanta could be buried in the AHL. Would they? Let's say for the sake of discussion they go after Hellebuck and offer a Pesce, plus maybe a Kotchetkov. More? They have the means too. DeAngelo allows them to do that. Some would say Helle+Anderson is a better one-two punch. And I think it would fit cap-wise. Or maybe a Swayman.

But again, more likely they look upfront instead.

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
I kinda like the Canes & have liked Brindy since he was a Flyer.

Not being out East, I don’t see enough of him for the stink of DeAngelo’s rep as a ‘poor teammate’ to wash off so quick by means of quality play. I’m likely going to look like a “jerk” watching a Canes game next season if I happen to see TDA get blown up by a hit and have a few “lols”, despite liking the rest of that roster.

Last edited:

LordZapp

Jan 31, 2015
Texas
Surprising he hasn't been able to get a better deal, scored fifty points in this league Multiple times. Is his defense that bad?

thehoffs

Jul 4, 2023
I played inline with him a couple of times. You either love him or hate him. He definitely has teammates who love him. He's not exactly the guy everybody on the team is hoping gets left behind. But yes, he does have his moments where you roll your eyes. He can move the puck extremely well. If used correctly, much like last time in their system, I think he'll do just fine.

In the last 3 years, Carolina has had 2 actual NHL dman with a negative on the +/-, and that was Jake Gardiner and Hayden Fleury. (Yeah, I don't count players like Coghlan or Jake Bean. I didn't even want to use Fleury as an actual Dman). They play a great system helping out the backend and I'm sure they will figure out how to hide or eliminate some of the flaws DeAngelo brings on the backend.

The organization is most likely not even thinking about it. Unless you mean our fans and other fans offering up our players even though we all have no say in this. I'm not sure what offers you see coming from NYR. We have no cap right now.
They can make the space easily.

The problem is EK has less value, maybe next to none to be honest.

A team like NYR the value of EK is keeping him out of your competitors hands.

So if you can stop CAR and PIT from acquiring him you are making your team better by this proxy alone.

The problem is a NYR offer is seriously going to look like;

To SJS Goodrow Lindgren 2nd round 2024/2025 pick;

To NYR EK @ $8.50m

This would literally be San Jose likely acquiring the worst value only because the other buyers have no interest.

In real world the SJS want the NYR to include Kakko or even Lafreniere in something like a 1 for 1 deal.

They are absolutely desperate to acquire whatever they can as EK cost them Norris and Stutzle and SJS are a bottom 5 team for literally the next 3-5 years.

So why hold on to EK just to hurt your ability to tank.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Nowhere close to NHL quality. League minimum would be an overpayment for this piece of garbage.
By "garbage" do you mean "setter of solid playoff franchise Defensive scoring record" as was just pointed out? I mean because you guys seem all hot to trot about stuff regarding him that is "well documented", so I'll put that documentation up agains the "Steele Dossier-esque" documentation y'all got.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
At some point very soon the Canes will need to make a push for the Cup. They need to do what Vegas and Tampa did and bring in star players to lead them to a Cup. DeAngelo isn’t that guy.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
At some point very soon the Canes will need to make a push for the Cup. They need to do what Vegas and Tampa did and bring in star players to lead them to a Cup. DeAngelo isn’t that guy.
Tampa drafted there stars. Vegas was able to trade for all of theirs because teams were tripping over themselves to give away assets. It’s easy to pay for top players when you have a ton of assets to move or teams give them to you for free.

Not quite were you are trying to say

thehoffs

Jul 4, 2023
I’m gonna say this one time to make people get it.

The only teams that want EK for legit purposes of contending it would be;

EDM
OTT

Teams wanting him without the assets salary cap or even basic means to contend;

PIT
NYR

Best offer is the prospect and pics EDM or OTT can give and retention by SJS.

I don’t see it happening to the TDL without retention.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Surprising he hasn't been able to get a better deal, scored fifty points in this league Multiple times. Is his defense that bad?
How is it surprising? No matter how much one clashes with team mates, other players just work around it. He needs the optimal situation to not do his stuff it seems. Canes seem to be the team that can contain his antics.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
He moaned and complained when Torts threw him in the press box where he belongs.

Personally I think Karlsson winning the Norris is an absolute joke and be should be spending significant time in the press box.
This would explain why you’re posting anonymously on a message board and not behind an NHL bench somewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: GrizzGreen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad