Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] D Shayne Gostisbehere signs with the Hurricanes (3 years, $3.2M AAV)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The revolving door of PP QB types continues in Carolina.

I like Ghost's game though. He was good in Arizona. He's earned getting out of Cap Dump reputation.

Reactions: Tryamw and Amorgus

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
He earned the contract. Just think Detroit didn’t want the term, so they signed Gustavsson instead.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fc0e8f7ce-a7d4-4adb-b30a-56e81e01a502.heic

Forever in our hearts

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Another very good contract.

Carolina is showing how a modern franchise need to operate! Every year they sign a pretty good player to a good deal. Most other franchises have such a deal once in 10 years!

I would love to be a Carolina fan. But iam Flyers fan my whole life so iam not able to switch ;D

I will suffer from the flyers my whole life like it always was ;D

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

Carolina is showing how a modern franchise need to operate! Every year they sign a pretty good player to a good deal. Most other franchises have such a deal once in 10 years!

I would love to be a Carolina fan. But iam Flyers fan my whole life so iam not able to switch ;D

Not disagreeing per se, but contending teams are the only ones in position to make "good deals" like this. Guys won't take a lesser contract on a non-playoff team. Being located in a place with great weather and low state tax doesn't hurt either.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Not disagreeing per se, but contending teams are the only ones in position to make "good deals" like this. Guys won't take a lesser contract on a non-playoff team. Being located in a place with great weather and low state tax doesn't hurt either.
i agree with you that its more likely to get players to sign cheap contracts. But its also common practice in hockey to pay players for career performance and not for the performance they likely will show in the time of the new contract. And also handing out notrade clauses or nomove clauses.

I think you can really see who is a good GM and who is not!

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

Cost of living in the Carolina's are much more affordable. Aside from every NY/NJ person moving to NC and raising prices there, (Consider yourself lucky if you made the transition to buy a house prior to covid), living close to where Hurricanes play is still cheaper. Unless the weather is great, a lot of older players simply don't care about that city, crowded, life. I know fans harp over the tax issue, but weather and cost of living also play an important role.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
In one of Detroit’s last games this past season, Gostisbehere played one of the greatest shifts you will ever see from a Dman.

He left everything on the ice that night and everyone in the arena or watching at home, knew it and appreciated it.

He hasn’t played a ton of really meaningful games, but if that’s how he’s gonna step up in a playoff atmosphere, it’ll be a steal of a contract.

Never did I every expect in all of my years, he would be the player to play the perfect shift, but that’s what happened. So good for Ghost. He proved when it’s on the line, he will step up when given that opportunity.

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015

I was a.flyers fan simce the 70s, If you look at the posts I made regarding the Fletcher hiring everything playe d out except it was worse than I ever imagine d .... I complained when the got rid of Ghost, the management still stinks from the top down. They should change their name to the Clarke's , only when they get rid of him and the nepotism will they have a chance at producing something special. These guys couldn't do anything without a salary cap and now some expect them to build something? LOL, glad good people, winners like Ghost have moved on and me as well. I now root for every team to beat the flyers.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Cost of living in the Carolina's are much more affordable. Aside from every NY/NJ person moving to NC and raising prices there, (Consider yourself lucky if you made the transition to buy a house prior to covid), living close to where Hurricanes play is still cheaper. Unless the weather is great, a lot of older players simply don't care about that city, crowded, life. I know fans harp over the tax issue, but weather and cost of living also play an important role.
Yeah, I'm sure home insurance is a lot cheaper in Carolina than in Florida.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
No reported trade protection up to this point. This is a pretty light contract to send back, if they feel the need to pivot via trade in season.
That may sound unremarkable at this point in time, but the truth is something will need to give in the next few seasons to allow space probably for Nikishin and Morrow to enter the league. It could be with Burns and Orlov departing, but the Canes may actually want to ink those two to a couple of more years (I do think Burns may Zdeno Chara his way into his early 40s as a bottom pairing guy). The contracts to Ghost and Walker are movable if need be. The Hurricanes bend over backwards to avoid going into the late 30s with term (with Slavin/Burns being exceptions).

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
yep, significantly unless you live out by Wilmington or the Outer Banks which... yeah nobody that's playing for the Canes is out that way unless they're buying/building a summer home out there. That's a 2+ hour drive each way, closer to 3 if it's the Outer Banks.

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
yep, significantly unless you live out by Wilmington or the Outer Banks which... yeah nobody that's playing for the Canes is out that way unless they're buying/building a summer home out there. That's a 2+ hour drive each way, closer to 3 if it's the Outer Banks.

I just moved from Philadelphia to North Carolina this year & buying a home and insurance was much easier and cheaper coming down here compared to up there.

The Outer Banks is out on its own and is between 2-3 hours away from where I moved like Dave said, I can’t imagine any players actively living there during the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad