GDT: CAR @ CBJ || Game 38 || 4PM

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
All 13 minutes of him :sarcasm:
And wth, Gus w 23 minutes, by far the most minutes of any CBJ forward. I have been quiet for weeks on here, but BL is incompetent to develop the youth on this team. The rookies win the game but he plays a UFA vet with no offense upside 23 minutes. Glad to see the win, but I give up on what this season is supposed to be about.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
And wth, Gus w 23 minutes, by far the most minutes of any CBJ forward. I have been quiet for weeks on here, but BL is incompetent to develop the youth on this team. The rookies win the game but he plays a UFA vet with no offense upside 23 minutes. Glad to see the win, but I give up on what this season is supposed to be about.
Spot on. This roster has holes in it but the behind the bench is a huge one

ColumbusTrill

Mar 15, 2021

The 23 mins for Gus is kinda comparing apples to oranges. Carolina had 6 power plays. He and Ros are the only two who play both PP and PK. And Lars went to the 2PP for the 2nd half of the game.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Not seeing the issue with the minutes KJ and Marchenko are getting. 13 minutes a game and they are being productive. They are not being overworked, and why would you force them more minutes in a lost season. They are both coming along nicely, both are near the top at goals scored for the team. They are getting power play time, and doing well. What is the rush? We are in last place and out of the playoff race.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
The 23 mins for Gus is kinda comparing apples to oranges. Carolina had 6 power plays. He and Ros are the only two who play both PP and PK. And Lars went to the 2PP for the 2nd half of the game.
He still played the 3rd most 5 on 5 minutes behind only Kuraly and Olivier and just ahead of Foudy - three players who were dominated in 5 on 5 shots.

Reactions: Forepar

ColumbusTrill

Mar 15, 2021
He still played the 3rd most 5 on 5 minutes behind only Kuraly and Olivier and just ahead of Foudy - three players who were dominated in 5 on 5 shots.

Eh it's like 1 to 2 minutes more than the young guys. I'm not gonna lose sleep over it. Thought Lars showed good feel in keeping sending Marchenko out later in the game, whether it was the PP, OT, or 1st in the SO

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Keep logic out of this!!

I was gonna go the sarcastic “adding to his trade value” route, but, your explanation is more acceptable and accurate.

This “fire Larsen” stuff is “Fire Torts” 2.0.

Both guys are/were “damned if they do, damned if they don’t” with many fans.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Keep logic out of this!!

I was gonna go the sarcastic “adding to his trade value” route, but, your explanation is more acceptable and accurate.

This “fire Larsen” stuff is “Fire Torts” 2.0.

Both guys are/were “damned if they do, damned if they don’t” with many fans.
It is but it isnt. I was over Torts by the end because from the start or close to it I claimed Torts was a great coach to give a club an identity and get it going in the right direction but not get you over the final hump.

I just think Larsen is straight up a bad head coach.

ColumbusTrill

Mar 15, 2021
Personality wise the more Jiricek, Marchenko, Blankenburg types we get/have the better. We need to balance out the cats with some dogs in other words.

From what I've seen from Svozil and Voronkov I think they are that type as well. Missing Boone, Tex, and Danforth has hurt us big time too. Our current healthy roster has too many guys that are easy to play against.

Reactions: LJ7 and majormajor

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
I'm high on Tarasov, but I'm still not sure we have the answer in net.
I think leafs are proving that you dont need "the answer" on net to be a contender. Currently 4th in the league with two goalies who their old teams abandoned. A strong defense is what makes or breaks goalies. Grubauer, Campbell are recent good examples, too.

Obviously if you draft a Vasilevsky, Hellebuyck type of elite goalie you lock him up with big money, but outside of that I'd just focus on getting the defenders and coaching right

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think leafs are proving that you dont need "the answer" on net to be a contender. Currently 4th in the league with two goalies who their old teams abandoned. A strong defense is what makes or breaks goalies. Grubauer, Campbell are recent good examples, too.

Obviously if you draft a Vasilevsky, Hellebuyck type of elite goalie you lock him up with big money, but outside of that I'd just focus on getting the defenders and coaching right

Yeah for about 25-30 teams in the NHL, there is no "answer" in net. It's either some revolving door of goalies or a guy like Markstrom that goes back and forth from awesome to terrible.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011

Bad example, what exactly have the Leafs won over the last decade with their 'no answer' in net? Sure they win a lot of regular season games but last I checked they have won fewer playoff series than the CBJ in the past six years. FYI, their point percentage this year is the same or worse than it was the last two years. Until they actually win something, they haven't won anything.

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
Bad example, what exactly have the Leafs won over the last decade with their 'no answer' in net? Sure they win a lot of regular season games but last I checked they have won fewer playoff series than the CBJ in the past six years. FYI, their point percentage this year is the same or worse than it was the last two years. Until they actually win something, they haven't won anything.
Avalanche, Blues, Oilers, Panthers (pre Maurice), Canes

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Avalanche, Blues, Oilers, Panthers (pre Maurice), Canes
Avs yes...an exceptionally talented team that just needed average goaltending to win. Blues yes, but keep in mind Binnington was unreal that season. Oilers, Panthers and Canes actually prove you can have tons of talent but without a viable goalie you will be limited in the playoffs.

I agree a team can win without an elite goaltender but the more average your goaltender is the exceedingly more talented your team better be. BTW, at this time I am more than hopeful Tarry, if not elite is more than talented enough to win with. And FTR, it is rare for goalies to be consistently elite year after year, a great goalie can have a down year and an average goalie (Binnington) can have a career elite year.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
I hate that any time you say Leafs have a contending team this is the answer. Took like 10 tries for Capitals to win the cup despite being dominant in regular season, and people were clowning on Ovi and Bäckström for not being a winning players the same way.

Leafs being Leafs and throwing playoff series in which theyre a better team doesnt take away from the fact that they have a roster structure that is having a 3rd contending year in a row.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad