Confirmed with Link: Caps trade for Mantha for Vrana, Panik, 2021 1st, 22 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
A player who thinks he's above the demands of other players and is sensitive to being coached or corrected is practically the definition of "diva".

1b

View attachment 422666

references definition 2 below
'View attachment 422668

So what do you think "diva" means in sports then?

I think you're reaching. I think his skillset is probably just not a fit with the current vision Laviolette has rather than being uncoachable or whatever.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
I mean, I think there's a clear reason that four coaching staffs - dating back to Mann in Hershey - didn't trust Vrana and had issues with his play (at times). There's systematic issues in his game and until he fixes them (consistent effort and defensive play), he won't be trusted by any coach and the leash will be a lot shorter than it should be for a player of his caliber.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I think you're reaching. I think his skillset is probably just not a fit with the current vision Laviolette has rather than being uncoachable or whatever.

Never said he was uncoachable. People change. But he's clearly a diva per the treatment and statements of his last 5 coaches.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Live footage of Mantha:

View attachment 422511
Looks like Dolph & Kearny are bitter Wings fans
unrtuDq.jpg

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Wow? I don’t think I’ve seen this much keyboard pounding over a player - player in the position vrana was - being traded since gartner.

makes me wish the internets were around back then. What a joy that would have been.

Seriously when I saw the ESPN ticker that Gartner was traded, I had to sit down. It crushed me.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

How does this explain that Vrana had similar issues with both Reirden and Trotz?

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Seriously when I saw the ESPN ticker that Gartner was traded, I had to sit down. It crushed me.
I don’t know if I’ve ever been on an emotional roller coaster like when Iafrate was traded for Juneau, I was expecting a lesser return and then Whoa that’s a good young player

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
We wanted a coach that held the players accountable. Laviolette was hired in part to get Kuzy and Vrana going with direct questions put to MacLellan at the time of the hire. Either it works or this happens.

Reactions: Corby78

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
How does this explain that Vrana had similar issues with both Reirden and Trotz?

Well for one I'd say Reirden is a bad coach so I'm not really sure I care for his opinion much. Reirden made tons of questionable decisions so add this to the pile I guess.

As far as Trotz goes: Vrana was a rookie in Trotz's final year, so I expect some level of distrust just because that's what coaches do with rookies. But when it came down to crunch time Vrana was playing important minutes in the 2018 playoffs on the second line, often going against the opposition's best lines. Hard to say he really distrusted him even close to the same level Laviolette did, even if Trotz was hard on him at first.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Well for one I'd say Reirden is a bad coach so I'm not really sure I care for his opinion much. Reirden made tons of questionable decisions so add this to the pile I guess.

As far as Trotz goes: Vrana was a rookie in Trotz's final year, so I expect some level of distrust just because that's what coaches do with rookies. But when it came down to crunch time Vrana was playing important minutes in the 2018 playoffs on the second line, often going against the opposition's best lines. Hard to say he really distrusted him even close to the same level Laviolette did, even if Trotz was hard on him at first.

Citing Trotz and 2018 is not going to work the way you're hoping. A few late shifts in the playoffs years ago doesn't remove the assessments being made by all these coaches. Remember Vrana was a healthy scratch in the Cup run, so that's a high level of distrust.

Jakub Vrana a surprise scratch for Game 2

upload_2021-4-15_14-25-19.png

upload_2021-4-15_14-25-29.png

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
He was also a healthy scratch in the first round in 2018. So at least twice under Trotz.

But that's Trotz's fault, apparently.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
homegrown player traded away.
That's a short list as far as the Caps go, at least for top end talent. Drafting wasn't really a strong suit in the pre-Ovy era. I'd say Bobby Carpenter and Mike Gartner were probably the most comparable trades. All of the other trades such as Witter and Bondra were at the end of their career.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Yes I said Trotz distrusted him, especially at first. But then after being scratched his minutes increased as the playoffs went on and the team as a whole played better as the playoffs went on.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
IMO, ideally Vrana needs a fast, skilled, two-way center (not much to ask, eh). Backstrom wasn't dynamic enough. Kuz wasn't good enough on defense. Eller wasn't skilled enough. Of course vice-versa, Vrana wasn't doing enough to help these guys, either.

Vrana could also benefit from playing on a fast disciplined team where in general other players cover more ice and generate more turnovers. That's not the Caps, either, who needed Vrana to be an elite version of Sheary, or something like that.

So yes, Vrana has flaws. But the fit with the Caps' roster and general style of play wasn't great, IMO. It could only really work if Kuz turned into more of a dominant two-way center, with a lot more Datsyuk in his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad