Prospect Info: Caps Top Prospects General Discussion Thread - 2024

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Love all the prospect updates here. Thanks @Cush !

I have always liked Chesley. Including where we traded Vanny to position us for the pick. This will be his third year in NCAA which is still a good development path. But chances are he will still need a year in Hershey so I hope he turns pro after this year.

crab

Jan 26, 2019
Still early and a lot could change but the quasi-rebuild might turn out to be successful. I really thought they needed to do a full rebuild but they have been quite savvy with their moves.

It seems most of their picks have hit (still early but great results so far).

The biggest challenge though will be the future #1C, #1D and #1G. I still think you would need a higher end #1C to be a contender then what they have, Carlson is getting old and although I like Lindgren I don’t think he has it to be that top #1G. Thompson might though.

Reactions: Corby78

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Whenever Carlson hangs them up may end up being the competitive back-breaker for a bit on a more mediocre/stable level. They'd have some cap space and perhaps in time they'll decide to keep Chychrun around if he's earned it as another minute-eater for the foreseeable future. (We'll see.) But replacing that type of player won't be easy, even if he's lost a step. I would also hope this season that they're able to manage his minutes more wisely so that he's not overextended/gassed and better able to be more of an attacking offensive presence. That's what they need still given their limitations up front. Physically the stamina is increasingly not going to be there to be pushing the envelope like that expecting him to lead the league in TOI.

Roy being available is crucial in that because I doubt Fehervary/TVR/Sandin are so great that they'll be comfortable balancing it out by committee. The Caps made a couple of crucial investments on D with Hutson/Muggli but we've talked a lot about post-Ovi and probably not enough about post-Carlson. Hopefully Chychrun can end up being a Strome-like piece going forward for them but in terms of leadership it's still going to be a big void when the time comes.

Reactions: crab

Kolzilla

Sponsor
May 20, 2015
Whenever Carlson hangs them up may end up being the competitive back-breaker for a bit on a more mediocre/stable level. They'd have some cap space and perhaps in time they'll decide to keep Chychrun around if he's earned it as another minute-eater for the foreseeable future. (We'll see.) But replacing that type of player won't be easy, even if he's lost a step. I would also hope this season that they're able to manage his minutes more wisely so that he's not overextended/gassed and better able to be more of an attacking offensive presence. That's what they need still given their limitations up front. Physically the stamina is increasingly not going to be there to be pushing the envelope like that expecting him to lead the league in TOI.

Roy being available is crucial in that because I doubt Fehervary/TVR/Sandin are so great that they'll be comfortable balancing it out by committee. The Caps made a couple of crucial investments on D with Hutson/Muggli but we've talked a lot about post-Ovi and probably not enough about post-Carlson. Hopefully Chychrun can end up being a Strome-like piece going forward for them but in terms of leadership it's still going to be a big void when the time comes.

It might be a pipe dream, but I would love to acquire Rasmus Andersson for this purpose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad