Prospect Info: Caps Top Prospects General Discussion Thread - 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
In the last 26 games (Lapierre recalled) he had 15 points. He followed that up with great Playoffs and even better AHL Playoffs.

McMichael wasn't bad either, in the same stretch he had 11 points and decent Playoffs too.

I hope they both take step forward but no, it's not exactly a crime to put Lapierre ahead of CMM already. He was really good when they needed him to be.

Reactions: wickedwitch

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
I mean, there is reason for them to be very high on him after a 2nd AHL Championship and an MVP.

If he puts up 18g his rookie NHL season, where most of us expect him to be a 3C, I consider that a successful year.

The other two have multiple years now in the NHL. They should outplay him.

I’m interested to see who gets PP time and who gets shuffled to wing.
Last year was his rookie season. He played 51 games, and the cutoff is 26.

Kazer

Jun 20, 2009
Maryland, US
I mean, there is reason for them to be very high on him after a 2nd AHL Championship and an MVP.

If he puts up 18g his rookie NHL season, where most of us expect him to be a 3C, I consider that a successful year.

The other two have multiple years now in the NHL. They should outplay him.

I’m interested to see who gets PP time and who gets shuffled to wing.
This. I've raised my bar on Lapierre. That doesn't mean I think he's going to be a bonafide #1 center like McDavid, but he could be a lot more than I thought he could at this point a year ago. That's why I was miffed by the Pronman rankings. They clearly showed a lack of recency. It's pretty obvious Pronman develops his ratings and then just slots in the new guys. You should have movement year to year based on how prospects perform and develop.

A year ago, Lapierre had 30 points in 60 AHL games. This past year, Lapierre put up 3C numbers at the NHL level (22 points in 51 games projects to an Eller-esque 35 points) and finished that off with 22 points in 20 AHL playoff games. (from just 6 points the year before)

If that sort of performance does not get you irrationally excited, are you even a fan?

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
This. I've raised my bar on Lapierre. That doesn't mean I think he's going to be a bonafide #1 center like McDavid, but he could be a lot more than I thought he could at this point a year ago. That's why I was miffed by the Pronman rankings. They clearly showed a lack of recency. It's pretty obvious Pronman develops his ratings and then just slots in the new guys. You should have movement year to year based on how prospects perform and develop.

A year ago, Lapierre had 30 points in 60 AHL games. This past year, Lapierre put up 3C numbers at the NHL level (22 points in 51 games projects to an Eller-esque 35 points) and finished that off with 22 points in 20 AHL playoff games. (from just 6 points the year before)

If that sort of performance does not get you irrationally excited, are you even a fan?
17 points in 21 regular season games in Hershey last year, too. He leapfrogged past McMichael in terms of development.

Reactions: Calicaps and Kazer

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
This is why competition is good. Sure, both may not be here in two years. But they will push each other for now and may the best player emerge. They will both play center and they will both play wing. It will be fun to watch. And if both emerge, that is great for the club and we’ll figure it out then.

Reactions: um

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I think CMM went right about where he should have in the draft 25-30ish. Lappy OTOH went a little later than his skill placed him because of injury concerns which turned out to be incorrectly diagnosed. Lappy probably goes inside the top 15 with a correct diagnosis of his "post concussion symptoms".

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
I remember there were a number of prospects analysts who thought McMichael would be better as a winger than as a center. I think the quality of his shot will let him score up around 30 goals if his primary role is to be a goal scorer as opposed to the various other things a center is responsible for.

There's no way I even consider trading him at this point before giving him at least half a season as a full time winger, unless you're getting a definite top 6/top 4 piece back.

(I think some here have some recency bias. For all the talk about LaPierre's stats in Hershey - McMichael's were better while also being younger while he accumulated them. This is not to say Hendrix won't be a good NHL center. I just want to see his success over the latter half of last season be sustained for an entire year in the NHL before I believe he's a good NHL top 6 center.)

Reactions: qc14

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
For all the talk about LaPierre's stats in Hershey - McMichael's were better while also being younger while he accumulated them.
Nothing personal, but this is just not true.

1000001638.png
1000001637.png

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I remember there were a number of prospects analysts who thought McMichael would be better as a winger than as a center. I think the quality of his shot will let him score up around 30 goals if his primary role is to be a goal scorer as opposed to the various other things a center is responsible for.

There's no way I even consider trading him at this point before giving him at least half a season as a full time winger, unless you're getting a definite top 6/top 4 piece back.

(I think some here have some recency bias. For all the talk about LaPierre's stats in Hershey - McMichael's were better while also being younger while he accumulated them. This is not to say Hendrix won't be a good NHL center. I just want to see his success over the latter half of last season be sustained for an entire year in the NHL before I believe he's a good NHL top 6 center.)

Of course you consider it if you’re the GM. You should always be considering moves to make the team better, if they exist.

CMM won’t hit 30 without significant PP time. He had a lot of work to do this summer to enable him to take that next step. Very curious to see if he put in the time.

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
Do we need a poll on CMM vs HL? I am on team Lappy. Eye test says he is better in every category and does not have hands of stone.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
The guys drafted around Lappy have performed way better than the guys drafted around CMM

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
I fail to see what's wrong about it.

McMichael has more points in the A and a higher PPG, period. His were scored across his ages 19 to 21 seasons. Lappy has only scored in the AHL in his ages 20 and 21 seasons. Therefore, across the full sample range, CMM was younger while he was accumulating those point totals.

Nothing personal, but this is just not true.

View attachment 905472View attachment 905473

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
Do we need a poll on CMM vs HL?

This whole thing is silly. Both are very good young players with uncertain ceilings. My point has always been have patience and let it play out so we don't give up on any player before understanding their real potential.

Especially now with all the changes - new players with new skills, new personalities, new duos, and a chance for Carberry to evolve a system that works with all of that.

Patience, y'all.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
I fail to see what's wrong about it.

McMichael has more points in the A and a higher PPG, period. His were scored across his ages 19 to 21 seasons. Lappy has only scored in the AHL in his ages 20 and 21 seasons. Therefore, across the full sample range, CMM was younger while he was accumulating those point totals.
I mean, you're talking about 1 more point scored by McMichael between regular season and playoffs in the AHL...

Lappy played a few more games to reach that, but more of his production came in the playoffs when it really mattered, so that's kind of a wash.

Anyway, Lappy has been more productive in the NHL, and I expect that to continue because he's still improving.

Kazer

Jun 20, 2009
Maryland, US
McMichael was strong in the 2020-21 season and stronger than Lapierre was in his rookie AHL campaign. However, the 20-21 AHL season was a super strange one. The Bears only played three opponents the entire season - the dreadful Binghamton Devils, the mediocre Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, and the solid Lehigh Valley Phantoms.

It's not an apples to apples comparison compared to a full regular AHL season (more travel, more opponents, and more quality opposition).

Reactions: um and Holtbyisms

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
McMichael was strong in the 2020-21 season and stronger than Lapierre was in his rookie AHL campaign. However, the 20-21 AHL season was a super strange one. The Bears only played three opponents the entire season - the dreadful Binghamton Devils, the mediocre Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, and the solid Lehigh Valley Phantoms.

It's not an apples to apples comparison compared to a full regular AHL season (more travel, more opponents, and more quality opposition).
So……..to be clear, you are discounting that season 20-21 AHL season as less difficult than the norm? So the 27 pts in 33 games doesn't carry as much weight for you?

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
The only thing that matters are NHL stats. AHL stats are nice and all, but if you can't produce against the best what does it matter what you do against the second best?

Kazer

Jun 20, 2009
Maryland, US
So……..to be clear, you are discounting that season 20-21 AHL season as less difficult than the norm? So the 27 pts in 33 games doesn't carry as much weight for you?
It carries weight to me, but I don't know that you can measure Lapierre's rookie AHL year as apples to apples with McMichael's given the circumstances. And Binghamton's .317 points percentage was insanely low. No team in the AHL this past season finished below .410. I was able to find a game log, and McMichael had 11 points against Binghamton (12 GP), 10 against WBS (10 GP), and only 6 against Lehigh Valley (11 GP).

I also find it persuasive that McMichael regressed, despite being two years older, in 22-23. Based on 27 points in 33 games, assuming a normal season, it would be quite a backslide in terms of performance to put up 39 points in 57 games after two additional years of development. (.818 points per game as a 19 year old to .684 points per game as a 21 year old).

At the end of the day, we will see on the ice next season. As someone said a bit ago, they are both talented young players, and I hope they show out.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad