Prospect Info: Caps Top Prospects General Discussion Thread - 2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Free agent invitee Mason Beaupit was actually drafted by the Sharks in the 4th round in 2022, but they didn't sign him. He re-entered the draft this year, but wasn't selected.

And Collin Mackenzie has been in a goalie fight.

Was looking at him a little. Looks like he had a pretty meh career in the WHL based on numbers and dropped down a league to the BCHL where he also didn't have great numbers. No idea about him or his team but he does have some decent size.

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
Is Wendy Marco the skating coach Wilson used to revamp his stride?
I can't find anything online to confirm it but I'm like 90% sure she is. There's an article about her from 2022 that mentions some of the Caps she's worked with and a bunch of them predate Wilson.
Marco previously worked with Lars Eller, John Carlson, Jason Chimera, Jay Beagle, John Erskine and Jeff Halpern. She still works with Eller and Carlson in the summers. She has worked with Joe Snively — a native of Herndon who made his NHL debut with the Capitals this season — since he was a kid.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Was looking at him a little. Looks like he had a pretty meh career in the WHL based on numbers and dropped down a league to the BCHL where he also didn't have great numbers. No idea about him or his team but he does have some decent size.
Read the same. I imagine the Caps think he's worth looking at in person to see if maybe their goalie factory can work with him.

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
It's interesting to see so many of their free agent invites are NCAA players, 6 of the 9.

This may be typical and I've just never noticed it before. Or, it could just be them identifying and building relationships with kids they might want to sign later.

Or, they could just need warm bodies.

(A guy from Adrian College? A private, Methodist, Division III liberal arts school in Michigan with under 2,000 enrollees. Wow.)
The Adrian College guy was big and did well in the straight line speed drills, but struggled with the agility and finesse stuff. Not a surprise, pretty much all the tall guys struggled with at least one drill.

I wonder if the metronome thing is something to do with stride extension.
I think you're right. Especially at the slower rates the guys all had a very exaggerated, elongated stride.

Reactions: Random schmoe

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

It gets overshadowed because of the third period collapse but Hutson was having himself a game earlier on in that U18 gold medal game. Terrific carry-in and feed to Eiserman for the program record-breaker. Then a big-time finish. No doubt he can run a PP with his sense, skill and subtlety.

That OT winner wrister against UND was filthy also.

Reactions: Lou Sassole

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I wonder if the metronome thing is something to do with stride extension.
Wendy Marco is awesome! the metronome thing is one of her signatures. My son skated with her for years and did that a bunch. Jeff Halpern was a student turned coach and he skated with him as well. Many of the Caps over the years have worked with her. Cold rush is the name of that group.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
The Adrian College guy was big and did well in the straight line speed drills, but struggled with the agility and finesse stuff. Not a surprise, pretty much all the tall guys struggled with at least one drill.
Adrian has a good program. Small school more known for figure skating but hockey is legit. One of the EBUG’s played there.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Anxious to hear about how Cam Allen and Ryan Chesley are looking. Just hoping that I'm not setting myself up for a Patrick Wey/Cameron Schilling disappointment with them.

Reactions: Calicaps

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
Anxious to hear about how Cam Allen and Ryan Chesley are looking. Just hoping that I'm not setting myself up for a Patrick Wey/Cameron Schilling disappointment with them.
They were two of the better ones at the agility stuff, though I thought Chesley seemed notably tentative. Some flubs and hit obstacles but even Hutson’s done it a few times. Johnson and Lemay also had some nice runs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad