Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2024-25 Summer Edition

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
"We Will do everything in our power to bring the cup back to DC."

View attachment 914857
Caps roster.

View attachment 914862
Oh hey, another picture with me in it! Here was the view from on stage.

JYOKuZQ_d.webp

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Yeah, I guess the issue I can see is that depending on what you think Leonard's ceiling is, they have lines 2-4 of a cup winning team potentially but are completely barren of top line talent. When's the last time other than maybe Vegas that a team won the cup without a top 5-10 player on the team?
Washington
St Louis
Florida (unless you see Tkachuk as top 5-10)
Vegas, as you stated

Just off the top of my head

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
was listening to NHL radio on sirius and they had the caps below the pens with both missing. Im not saying the caps are contenders but imo they have improved the roster significantly while Pitt didnt do anything. I also believe the bruins and hurricanes wont have the easy rides they had the last few years. It will be another tight race in the east and of course injuries will be a huge part of it but the caps on my paper have improved more than a little bit imo. Kuemper was hot garbage last year and the team played different with him. Give the caps half of his losses and changes the picture a bit.
Logan Thompson is an upgrade over what Darcy Kuemper did for us. Scott Murray once again proved he messes up vet goalies.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
And yet that alone wasn't enough. It took another decade and other key pieces. I'm not saying it never works. I'm just saying it's not a given. And what @wickedwitch said is so on point. You can always destroy stuff.

It's being eager to that I don't get.
It wasn't, it took three top five picks in four years and multiple years of being bad. Two of the three they nailed and those two were what eventually guided us to the cup with the help of some lucky late 1st rounders who hit.

Block

Feb 14, 2005
Washington
St Louis
Florida (unless you see Tkachuk as top 5-10)
Vegas, as you stated

Just off the top of my head
Ovechkin was still a top 5 player when they won, and I put Tkachuck around 10. So St. Louis and Vegas I guess. 2 out of the last 10?

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Yeah, I guess the issue I can see is that depending on what you think Leonard's ceiling is, they have lines 2-4 of a cup winning team potentially but are completely barren of top line talent. When's the last time other than maybe Vegas that a team won the cup without a top 5-10 player on the team?

Well, if the end of the Ovi era is this contract, then his departure clears about 10m in cap space. The cap's going up, we'll have shots to draft well, and one or two of the guys we currently have in the pipeline could pan out that way if we're a little lucky.

If we keep turning the roster over as we have been the last couple years, we could be in a good spot when that next shiny top talent hits free agency. No need to blow it up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad