Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2024-25 Summer Edition

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Ill just go off the top of my head fast for top 8 in the east
Panthers
Bruins
Hurricanes
Rangers
Leafs
Tampa

2 wild cards open
And the Devils look good
was listening to NHL radio on sirius and they had the caps below the pens with both missing. Im not saying the caps are contenders but imo they have improved the roster significantly while Pitt didnt do anything. I also believe the bruins and hurricanes wont have the easy rides they had the last few years. It will be another tight race in the east and of course injuries will be a huge part of it but the caps on my paper have improved more than a little bit imo. Kuemper was hot garbage last year and the team played different with him. Give the caps half of his losses and changes the picture a bit.

Reactions: Fred22406Capsfan

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
was listening to NHL radio on sirius and they had the caps below the pens with both missing. Im not saying the caps are contenders but imo they have improved the roster significantly while Pitt didnt do anything. I also believe the bruins and hurricanes wont have the easy rides they had the last few years. It will be another tight race in the east and of course injuries will be a huge part of it but the caps on my paper have improved more than a little bit imo. Kuemper was hot garbage last year and the team played different with him. Give the caps half of his losses and changes the picture a bit.
Seeing the predictions for the team this year has really reinforced to me that the rest of the NHL pays zero attention to anything about the Caps besides Ovechkin. I don't think anyone outside DC really appreciates how much the injury/decline situations with Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Oshie, and Kuemper hamstrung the team last year. Like, we all know PLD could under-perform his contract like he did in LA and be a 40 point player, but last year the Caps made the playoffs while starting the year with two centers with similar cap hits to PLD who combined for 18 points in 51 games. Even if the Caps are getting the worst versions of all their new players they'll be an improved team, but the rest of the NHL sees them as the Washington Ovechkins so if he's declining the team must be too.

It's weird because all the articles back in July about offseason winners and losers had the Caps as one of the most improved teams, but that seems to be totally forgotten.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Seeing the predictions for the team this year has really reinforced to me that the rest of the NHL pays zero attention to anything about the Caps besides Ovechkin. I don't think anyone outside DC really appreciates how much the injury/decline situations with Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Oshie, and Kuemper hamstrung the team last year. Like, we all know PLD could under-perform his contract like he did in LA and be a 40 point player, but last year the Caps made the playoffs while starting the year with two centers with similar cap hits to PLD who combined for 18 points in 51 games. Even if the Caps are getting the worst versions of all their new players they'll be an improved team, but the rest of the NHL sees them as the Washington Ovechkins so if he's declining the team must be too.

It's weird because all the articles back in July about offseason winners and losers had the Caps as one of the most improved teams, but that seems to be totally forgotten.
This X1000! On 32 Thoughts, they were talking about young guys who were unexpectedly challenging for roster spots and Friedge mentioned Miro... and my first thought was... you haven't watched a single second of the Caps preseason, he's just the name you know. Because otherwise, he for sure would have said Cristall. I was so annoyed that I almost emailed them.

But eff it.

If the Caps surprise folks, that's probably all to the good.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
We gave upgraded the D quite a bit and Goalie play should be strong again. I think scoring goals with be hard again this season. We might even consider running some sort of trap.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Seems a bit dire to have them behind the likes of CGY, SEA, MTL, STL currently. Or that their future prospects are ahead of only one team in the league. The Caps are an easy team to write off...Dom has been doing it for about five years now. Plenty of regression is presumably expected based off of their goal differential, reliance on Lindgren, etc. But they did make some pretty big changes, mostly on the back-end where I expect the process to be fundamentally improved. They may still suffer from their fair share of Big Mistakes and their lack of dominant talent up front may provide little margin most nights. But they're likely to be scrappy. Ovechkin's highly likely to be motivated from the start and they do have a lot of players with something to prove. Going forward their management team isn't bottom tier. They'll have cap space to work with. They need a legit franchise talent post-Ovi to be sure but ranking their future that poorly seems at odds with prospect rankings that haven't been rated that poor for a few years.

Ovechkin will be determined from the outset I think. Strome should have slightly more in him. Roy should be the closest thing to Niskanen they've had. I'm really not sure about Mangiapane on the top line or whether there's too credible an alternative outside of perhaps Wilson. We'll see just how much they can get out of PLD. Chychrun to me is the big key in bumping them up more firmly into contention if he's at his best. He's got so much upside if his defensive game gets buttoned up. They definitely still need a playdriving headliner. Perhaps Leonard and Cristall combined can help steer that where it needs to be, albeit from the wing. C/D high-end play remains a big question mark going forward but consider me an optimist compared to that ranking. And if things truly do get so dire I doubt mgmt. will sit idly by (like some teams) and just accept defeat as so many teams have seemingly for a very long time.

Reactions: Kalopsia

Nogatco Rd

Music Has The Right To Children
Apr 3, 2021
Will Clay Stevenson get some games this year? What’s the plan going forward in net?

Looks like there are some contenders with real question marks in goal, curious to see what the market is like at the TDL for guys like Lindgren or Thompson.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Seems a bit dire to have them behind the likes of CGY, SEA, MTL, STL currently. Or that their future prospects are ahead of only one team in the league. The Caps are an easy team to write off...Dom has been doing it for about five years now. Plenty of regression is presumably expected based off of their goal differential, reliance on Lindgren, etc. But they did make some pretty big changes, mostly on the back-end where I expect the process to be fundamentally improved. They may still suffer from their fair share of Big Mistakes and their lack of dominant talent up front may provide little margin most nights. But they're likely to be scrappy. Ovechkin's highly likely to be motivated from the start and they do have a lot of players with something to prove. Going forward their management team isn't bottom tier. They'll have cap space to work with. They need a legit franchise talent post-Ovi to be sure but ranking their future that poorly seems at odds with prospect rankings that haven't been rated that poor for a few years.

Ovechkin will be determined from the outset I think. Strome should have slightly more in him. Roy should be the closest thing to Niskanen they've had. I'm really not sure about Mangiapane on the top line or whether there's too credible an alternative outside of perhaps Wilson. We'll see just how much they can get out of PLD. Chychrun to me is the big key in bumping them up more firmly into contention if he's at his best. He's got so much upside if his defensive game gets buttoned up. They definitely still need a playdriving headliner. Perhaps Leonard and Cristall combined can help steer that where it needs to be, albeit from the wing. C/D high-end play remains a big question mark going forward but consider me an optimist compared to that ranking. And if things truly do get so dire I doubt mgmt. will sit idly by (like some teams) and just accept defeat as so many teams have seemingly for a very long time.
Pretty optimistic for sure. I hope you're right but the lack of a franchise player is going to be tough to overcome in the not too distant future unless we draft one and there's only one way to do that. They don't grow on trees and typically aren't available for cap space.

That chart is quite bad.
Of course it is because it's not what people want to hear here. :laugh:

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Pretty optimistic for sure. I hope you're right but the lack of a franchise player is going to be tough to overcome in the not too distant future unless we draft one and there's only one way to do that. They don't grow on trees and typically aren't available for cap space.

Of course it is because it's not what people want to hear here. :laugh:
No it's because I follow more than one team. It has several wacky picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad