Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2024-25 Summer Edition

Kazer

Jun 20, 2009
Maryland, US
Fitting considering he's going to be the next scapegoat.
Vrana as the scapegoat? I don't see that. He's popular and signed to a league minimum deal.

The most likely scapegoat candidates to me are PLD up front and Sandin in back. Milano could be a dark horse if he isn't producing and fans feel that Vrana should be playing instead. I could also see Mangiapane getting some grief if he doesn't gel with Ovechkin/Strome as expected.

Reactions: Kalopsia

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Vrana as the scapegoat? I don't see that. He's popular and signed to a league minimum deal.

The most likely scapegoat candidates to me are PLD up front and Sandin in back. Milano could be a dark horse if he isn't producing and fans feel that Vrana should be playing instead. I could also see Mangiapane getting some grief if he doesn't gel with Ovechkin/Strome as expected.

He was popular when he was here as a young promising NHL'er. He comes in as a struggling veteran with red flags all around him and who needs to be given kid minutes (remind you of anyone from last season?). Meaning he's going to be the other guy along with Milano that's blocking the kids coming up.

The 'bring youth in' -crowd is pretty big in here. I'm going to be very surprised if Vrana isn't one of the scapegoats when TDL rolls around. He used to be popular but that was when he was the promising kid coming up. It's not going to take long for people to realise this Vrana is turning 29 soon and has limited potential.

Reactions: Kazer

Jun 15, 2007
Performance to salary ratio is important though.

A guy on league minimum has to be really really bad to be the scapegoat.

Now if Vrana does well this year and the Caps sign him to a 5x5 or something and then he sucks again….yes.

Reactions: Misery74

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Performance to salary ratio is important though.

A guy on league minimum has to be really really bad to be the scapegoat.

Now if Vrana does well this year and the Caps sign him to a 5x5 or something and then he sucks again….yes.
Eh, I've seen a lot of rationalizations that every penny vs the cap counts when trying to attack various whipping boys.

Vrana is not likely to be the big scapegoat because most of the people who do that also revered Vrana as a martyr to the anti-front-office cause.

Reactions: HeyMattyB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad