Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2024-25 Summer Edition

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
So now we know. Cristal is back to WHL and Miro to Hershey for the right reasons which is they need big minutes, in all situations and they are better served to do that on their respective teams. I’m good with that.

now, there is the salary cap dance, which works like this. You want to be as close to the $88M cap as possible because every dollar you are short, you have to fill that up before you use LTIR. Here is how the Caps make that happen with Cristal and Miro out and Vrana without contract until Tuesday:

21 players including Oshie 5.75M on IR. Includes Mac and Alexyev. Lapierre will get sent down in a paper transaction to make the numbers right. Including all of the above we’ll be 168k short of $88M which is really good.

Then on Tuesday, Oshie goes to LTIR which frees up 5.75M (minutes 168k). Lapierre gets reassigned to Caps. Vrana signs contract which will likely be two-way or a one-way under 1.1M. But they are signing him to be a Cap and not a Bear. That should leave us $4.5M in cap space to use during the year. We will also have 49 contracts so we have 1 that we can use in any kind of trade or use for Leonard.

IMG_0131.jpeg

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Unless Vrana finally learns how to play a 2 way game, it’s gonna end up just like it has with everyone he’s played for

I look at this more from the perspective of the coach. I trust Carbery on a call like this. He has access to all the info and has had adequate time to form an opinion. If he thinks V is ready for this chance, I'm good with it. (But I'm going to wince reflexively every time I see his name in a headline. At least for a while.)

Reactions: Calicaps

NoVaCapsFan

Apr 19, 2017
I don’t understand this at all, he’s not a lifetime underdog, the man was a first round pick. Whether he should have been or not, different story, but he’s certainly been given shots.

He’s just not that good.
He stuck with it, he rode the buses, he provided leadership for two championship teams, and he provides snarl to a team that can use it. I am happy for him. But yeah, if (or when) he gets caught flat footed and out of position, I will be eating crow.

Reactions: Misery74

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
While I don't actually expect this to happen, the Caps could still 'call up' Cristall as soon as tomorrow. Nothing says that a CHL player has to be on the season opening roster for their 9 (or more) game stint.

Um, technically...

Reactions: Calicaps

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
My take on the opening night roster is building a team that they think can get off to a hot start. In theory you get that with “vets” (although our vets seem to sleep walk the first month anyways) as opposed to young guys like Miro and Cristall who need to adjust to the game.

The Caps started the season painfully slow last year 1-5 I think and Ovi had what 5 goals in 20 games. I think they want to avoid that start.

Miro will be the first call up for any Top 9 player. Cristall will get traded to a competitive junior team and be added to the roster in the spring, same with Leonard. At that point in the season those Caps will be in a spot to give them a few spot games here and there and they can be a part of a playoff push.

What’s the rush.

Fast forward a year from now and all 3 will be on the opening night roster which is really exciting.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
So now we know. Cristal is back to WHL and Miro to Hershey for the right reasons which is they need big minutes, in all situations and they are better served to do that on their respective teams. I’m good with that.

now, there is the salary cap dance, which works like this. You want to be as close to the $88M cap as possible because every dollar you are short, you have to fill that up before you use LTIR. Here is how the Caps make that happen with Cristal and Miro out and Vrana without contract until Tuesday:

21 players including Oshie 5.75M on IR. Includes Mac and Alexyev. Lapierre will get sent down in a paper transaction to make the numbers right. Including all of the above we’ll be 168k short of $88M which is really good.

Then on Tuesday, Oshie goes to LTIR which frees up 5.75M (minutes 168k). Lapierre gets reassigned to Caps. Vrana signs contract which will likely be two-way or a one-way under 1.1M. But they are signing him to be a Cap and not a Bear. That should leave us $4.5M in cap space to use during the year. We will also have 49 contracts so we have 1 that we can use in any kind of trade or use for Leonard.

View attachment 913198
Thanks to Backstrom, Oshie and Kuzy for clearing the deck.

Thank you LA, for not watching any tape of Darcy Kuemper.

This is the third best team in the Metro.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad