Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2024-25 Summer Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jun 15, 2007

I really don’t like this quote.

It reads very strongly to me as “you’re a nice guy but…”

It’s bad if a guy comes in and does everything to earn a spot but doesn’t get it because of waiver/contract status. Another year in juniors is wasted. We have a potentially very god player here.

hb13xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
You give Cristall his 9 game tryout and then make the decision. He’s had a solid camp and a solid number of preseason games but the 9 game tryout is a more realistic “preseason” for him. He’s not playing against top competition, veterans are going half speed for the most part and the goaltending league wide during preseason has been poor this year. Give him the 9 games and tell him, “don’t make me send you back to juniors” and see if he continues to produce when it counts.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC

It’s bad if a guy comes in and does everything to earn a spot but doesn’t get it because of waiver/contract status. Another year in juniors is wasted. We have a potentially very god player here.
The fact that the rules are, he’s either juniors or NHL and can’t really promote is kind of bullshit. He should be able to play in the AHL if his development says so.

Reactions: Kazer

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017

I kind of disagree. He wants the kid to keep fighting.

Not over yet.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Would we go 14F and 7D? Waive Bear? No idea if this is cap compliant. Rotate in Cristall / Vrana for Lapierre/Milano/McMichael. Do this for first 10 games until someone either gets hurts or the picture clears up. Can always send back Cristall or waive Vrana

Ovi-Strome-Mangiapane
McMichael-Dubois-Wilson
Protas-Lapierre-Milano
Duhaime-Dowd-Raddysh
Cristall / Vrana

Chychrun-Carlson
Fehervary-Roy
Sandin-TvR
Alexeyev
I feel like Jake is a good story, but we have a logjam, and he’s in the way more than anything.

Let the kids play.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I feel like Jake is a good story, but we have a logjam, and he’s in the way more than anything.

Let the kids play.
I don't see how Vrana is the one in the way with the log jam, the log jam is at center and they've locked in to two top centers in Strome and PLD for the foreseeable future. They have two center prospects that need to play at center (three if you think Cristall deserves a cup of coffee), but realistically only one spot.

They're actually incredibly shallow at the wing positions, something a Vrana poker chip could remedy pretty quickly if it hits.

Reactions: Holtbyisms

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I don't see how Vrana is the one in the way with the log jam, the log jam is at center and they've locked in to two top centers in Strome and PLD for the foreseeable future. They have two center prospects that need to play at center (three if you think Cristall deserves a cup of coffee), but realistically only one spot.

They're actually incredibly shallow at the wing positions, something a Vrana poker chip could remedy pretty quickly if it hits.

Cristall isn’t playing C, and where do those overflow C’s go? Wing. Log jam.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Cristall isn’t playing C, and where do those overflow C’s go? Wing. Log jam.
Even if you don't want to count him, playing one of the kids at wing just because you've got an actual logjam at center is just setting them up for failure. We've already established that CMM is a much worse winger then he's been at center, can't wait to hear how shit you think he is when they've forced him to wing because of the actual logjam at center.

The log jam is at center, a true winger shouldn't be the make or break for centers.

Marshall

A Mahoney guy
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
Logjams are easy to fix - play the best 12 forwards for your system. The others get press box popcorn. If they don't like it, they can continue to work hard and show the coaches that they can show out better.

Having a good player sitting in the press box is an amazing luxury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad