Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2024-25 Summer Edition

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Am I the only one who thinks the Rangers take a step back in 24-25. Maybe they don’t fall out of the playoffs altogether - but that may have been the least impressive sweep I’ve seen against a massively flawed Caps team, they needed OT twice to beat the Canes, and they folded against the Cats. It’s an accomplishment to make the semis, but it’s not out of the realm that that was the peak for this group

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I see is better than the Isles. But otherwise I agree with that projection.

Nj car and NyR clearly the cream of the division.
I’m not so sure about the Canes. They basically lost a whole 2nd line and a 1B defence pairing. They’re also gonna lose Necas and their old guys ain’t getting younger.

Rangers are still probably a lock, but I do see Panarin taking a step back. I’m sure Shesterkin will be better in his contract year.

Overall the metro has been a weak ass division since the Pens and Caps fell off. It feels very much up for grabs.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Am I the only one who thinks the Rangers take a step back in 24-25. Maybe they don’t fall out of the playoffs altogether - but that may have been the least impressive sweep I’ve seen against a massively flawed Caps team, they needed OT twice to beat the Canes, and they folded against the Cats. It’s an accomplishment to make the semis, but it’s not out of the realm that that was the peak for this group
That would be great…….

If their G ever got hurt for a long stretch, they’d be in serious trouble.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
nope. you're definitely not. I said the same somewhere in this thread. they were all sugar and no spice last year, and they didn't get spicier.

Reactions: marcel snapshot

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
New York RangersIn - Riley Smith, Sam Carrick, B-O Groulx, Casey Fitzgerald

Out - Erik Gustafsson, Alexander Wennberg, Jack Roslovic, Blake Wheeler, Chad Ruhwedel, Mac Hollowell, Olof Linbom, Bobby Trivigno, Nikolas Brouillard, Nic Petan

Yeah, that's a pretty rough offseason for the Rags. Source is this thread where a guy catalogued every team's roster changes, props to the OP there. Seems like they were banking on dumping Trouba to make room for additions and since that never came together, they just ended up doing... nothing. They didn't lose any key players, just a lot of depth.

I don't think there's any chance they miss the playoffs, but I expect regression for sure. They got some extra wins out of Jonathan Quick having a random renaissance at age 38 which I highly doubt he'll repeat. Four of their top 5 scorers are on the wrong side of 30 and the depth after those guys is as meh as it gets. Lafreniere breaking out is really their only possibility for improvement.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
"The bigger the guy is that comes at me it seems like the more I want him to fall down."

Real as heck.

I just love him. The casual attitude he has about 100% embodying the type of player I admire most -- "*shrug* Hey, I tried to change my game, but it turns out that I can't be cured of wanting to knock the shit outta people. Seems like doing that a lot adds up to kicking the shit outta yourself, so I think maybe I should stop while I still know my kids' names. So I guess I'm done? Now everyone stand up, pull your shirts up over your faces, and drink a beer like a savage for me. And to my teammates -- AVENGE ME!!!"

Might be my favorite Cap ever...

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
NJD - I'll believe it when I see it, they still got that loser stank, I'm not buying a 23 point increase from 81 last year; Markstrom is a big get, but Pesce/Brendan Dillon/Noesen while losing Marino/Nosek doesn't scream 23 pt turnaround; maybe a healthy Dougie is their biggest +

NYR - basically they lost a few mid pieces and didn't really upgrade anyone, Ziba/Trouba are sliding and they need LaFreniere/Tro/Bread/Kreider/Fox/Igor to all be All-Stars and somehow pay Igor record-breaking $$$ next year

CAR - less scoring, downgraded defense (Skjei/Pesce >>> Ghost/Walker) , goalies benefitted from the D corps, and questions about The Bod losing the room after so many years of Roid Rage

NYI - doubt they're hitting 94 like last year (which included 16 loser pts); Duclair is they're only incoming piece; Sorokin needs a big year and doubt Palmieri has any more 30g seasons left

PIT - wtf knows; they should be on the outside again, maybe a full season of Bunting motivates old man Geno; doubt they get another full healthy season out of 87/71/TheTang

I hate predictions but I expect something near:
NYR 105
CAR 102
WSH 95
NJD 95
NYI 91
PIT 89

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009

No, I'm with you. They get attention due to the NYC market. I mean they won't be terrible because they have a core in place, but overrated.

NJD - I'll believe it when I see it, they still got that loser stank, I'm not buying a 23 point increase from 81 last year; Markstrom is a big get, but Pesce/Brendan Dillon/Noesen while losing Marino/Nosek doesn't scream 23 pt turnaround; maybe a healthy Dougie is their biggest +

NYR - basically they lost a few mid pieces and didn't really upgrade anyone, Ziba/Trouba are sliding and they need LaFreniere/Tro/Bread/Kreider/Fox/Igor to all be All-Stars and somehow pay Igor record-breaking $$$ next year

CAR - less scoring, downgraded defense (Skjei/Pesce >>> Ghost/Walker) , goalies benefitted from the D corps, and questions about The Bod losing the room after so many years of Roid Rage

NYI - doubt they're hitting 94 like last year (which included 16 loser pts); Duclair is they're only incoming piece; Sorokin needs a big year and doubt Palmieri has any more 30g seasons left

PIT - wtf knows; they should be on the outside again, maybe a full season of Bunting motivates old man Geno; doubt they get another full healthy season out of 87/71/TheTang

I hate predictions but I expect something near:
NYR 105
CAR 102
WSH 95
NJD 95
NYI 91
PIT 89

I believe it will be much tighter than this actually.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
here's the Oshbabe interview where the quote came from (love the Great 8 birthday party for the daughter's 8th bday)

Man, he sure seems resigned to it. And it was pretty clear Mac knew when he went on his spending spree. The loss is massive, on the ice and in the room. 😭

So here’s a question… does 77 go to the rafters? On the one hand, he wasn’t a career Cap or any of that. But I can’t imagine anyone else ever wearing that number for this franchise.

Reactions: g00n

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
For one year though... and I bet the way that went only reinforced Mac in his commitment to not doing that. (as I've stated many times, I believe GMBM thought Patches would happily waive at the deadline to go to a contender because who wouldn't want that?)
On a one year deal. IIRC the organization is pretty well known for having a philosophy for not giving out the NMC/NTC like a lot of teams do.

Not related to you, but good on those players on getting those clauses in their contracts. A lot of those guys have families and young kids that they would be uprooting so I can see why those clauses would be important to them at this point in their careers.
I was just responding to a comment claiming that Ovie's partial NMC "was the best any player was getting," considering that they just gave out something more rigid the season prior. And that player did, in fact, refuse a trade to a contender with it.

I do totally agree with HB13x's later take. Just look at the Trouba situation with the Rangers, where he used his NMC (now partial NTC) to ensure his wife could complete her residency at a NYC-area hospital (not to mention their newborn son). For guys who have a family, it makes so much sense to shield themselves from being forcibly relocated.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Man, he sure seems resigned to it. And it was pretty clear Mac knew when he went on his spending spree. The loss is massive, on the ice and in the room. 😭

So here’s a question… does 77 go to the rafters? On the one hand, he wasn’t a career Cap or any of that. But I can’t imagine anyone else ever wearing that number for this franchise.
I’d be surprised if they give out 77 to anyone else, anytime soon. Will they make it official?

Who knows. From this past “era”, I think these guys should have their #’s retired
77……. Yeah, I would.

Last edited:
Reactions: Calicaps

Lou Sassole

Oct 15, 2020
I’m not so sure about the Canes. They basically lost a whole 2nd line and a 1B defence pairing. They’re also gonna lose Necas and their old guys ain’t getting younger.

Rangers are still probably a lock, but I do see Panarin taking a step back. I’m sure Shesterkin will be better in his contract year.

Overall the metro has been a weak ass division since the Pens and Caps fell off. It feels very much up for grabs.
Don't forget the Canes get a whole year of Kuzy. Who knows how much chaos he will create.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Canes won't be a tier-1 team this year, but they'll still be good. They lost a lot, but they still have Aho, Necas, Jarvis, and Svechnikov up front (and all of them are 27 or younger), plus Slavin, Burns, Orlov and Walker on D. They're going to be more of a 2-line, 2-pairing team than they were last year, but they should still be one of the non-wildcard slots in the Metro.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I’d be surprised if they give out 77 to anyone else, anytime soon. Will they make it official?

Who knows. From this past “era”, I think these guys should have their #’s retired
77……. Yeah, I would.
Idk what Ted does but 12 and 37 should have been retired years ago

Holtby is probably our best goalie. He has a seat at the table.
A Vezina trophy, multiple All-Star games, the Stanley Cup and the picture perfect the save

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Idk what Ted does but 12 and 37 should have been retired years ago

Holtby is probably our best goalie. He has a seat at the table.
A Vezina trophy, multiple All-Star games, the Stanley Cup and the picture perfect the save
Totally agreed on 12 and 37. I’m happy no one uses those numbers, but if they are basically retired … then retire them!

I honestly thought about Holts. He’s an icon. Done everything for this franchise. It was just short.

Were I in charge? I’d do more than less. But I’m a sentimentalist.

5,7,11,12,32,37 should all be gone.

8,19,70,74,77 would follow, for ME, that is.

11 total numbers outta 100 (I count 0 & 00 as numbers, maybe I shouldn’t. And 99 simply cannot be taken by anyone)

It doesn’t hurt anyone. Year 50. Half a century. 11 #’s aren’t bad at all (and #7 shouldn’t really have happened, but…..whatever).

Am I missing anyone? Probably

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Man, he sure seems resigned to it.

Yeah, and he's clearly talking the LTIR talk, saying what you have to say to make it kosher. There's that moment when talking about his point totals where he said he wish he'd had a few more assists, which to me pretty clearly meant getting from 393 to 400. In other words, he was referring to a career total, past tense. Sad day, and the guys in the studio handled it well, toeing the company line while being respectful and supportive.

So here’s a question… does 77 go to the rafters?

I'm not big on retired numbers, but I think 77 is hindered a bit by another guy wearing it well for us, too. TJ being a heart and soul guy and leader on top of his on-ice contributions is certainly worthy of any number of Caps honors, but that one's probably not gonna happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Calicaps

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I think there's numbers that are already in the rafters that are less deserving than Oshie, but given the organization's stalling on putting 12 and 37 in the rafters and the fact that this era of Capitals players will already be putting 8 and 19 in the rafters, I'm hard pressed to say that 77 goes up there. Same with 70 or 74.

Retiring 5 numbers from a team that won a single Cup is.... a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad