Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2024-25 Summer Edition

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007

Caps low key built a good team, good job that's a full roster

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

He's saying guys have to earn it. And that's okay. For Ovie's last years, they're not gonna ice a rookie roster. They're a lot younger and the guys they brought in will be the vets who mentor the kids in a year or two. If Ovie has a ridiculous year and gets to 895/900 this season, he might call it. He knows he's not the player he used to be, and he's always said, he doesn't want to keep playing after he's not really good enough. The record probably has changed that calculus, be I'm sure he'd rather go out on a high than fade away.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
He's saying guys have to earn it. And that's okay. For Ovie's last years, they're not gonna ice a rookie roster. They're a lot younger and the guys they brought in will be the vets who mentor the kids in a year or two. If Ovie has a ridiculous year and gets to 895/900 this season, he might call it. He knows he's not the player he used to be, and he's always said, he doesn't want to keep playing after he's not really good enough. The record probably has changed that calculus, be I'm sure he'd rather go out on a high than fade away.

Makes sense, they've always wanted guys to have to earn it rather than pencil them in.

I don't think the crowd that wants youth to get a chance has anything to worry about. You'll see how the roster is built, there are plenty of free agents and new faces. They are likely going to sell at the deadline again unless they are firmly on a Playoff spot so for me atleast it's a win-win situation. Also even before the deadline there are still going to be injuries, struggles so there will be spots to win for the Hershey -guys.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Isn't it crazy that he called Hendrix a Hershey Bears player when we all fully know he's a Cap sent down because the rules worked out for it?

I have no problem with it, just think it's pretty funny. Sells that same message though

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
I noticed CapFriendly (RIP) has updated the details on Roy's contract. They have it as 6x5.75M with a 15-team no-trade list in the first two years and a 10-team no-trade list for the last four. The salary's front-loaded, which'll make him a little easier to move if it comes to that.

Roy Contract.png

For comparison, Pesce's 6x5.5M deal comes with a full NTC for the first three years and a 15-teamer for the last three, and has a damn near identical front-loaded structure. Tanev's 6x4.5M has a full NMC for all 6 years and is also front-loaded, and it's almost entirely signing bonuses with a base salary of just 1M each year, which makes it pretty buyout-proof.

Last edited:

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I noticed CapFriendly (RIP) has updated the details on Roy's contract. They have it as 6x5.75M with a 15-team no-trade list in the first two years and a 10-team no-trade list for the last four. The salary's front-loaded, which'll make him a little easier to move if it comes to that.

View attachment 892472

For comparison, Pesce's 6x5.5M deal comes with a full NTC for the first three years and a 15-teamer for the last three, and has a damn near identical front-loaded structure. Tanev's 6x4.5M has a full NMC for all 6 years and is also front-loaded, and it's almost entirely signing bonuses with a base salary of just 1M each year, which makes it pretty buyout-proof.
Players have more leverage than in the past so NTC/NMC are just reality now. Mac does a good job minimizing them, but there’s no getting around it anymore.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Biggest gambling metro div changes since July 1.
Devils are now favorites, they were 3rd/4th
Canes were SC favorites with top odds in the league. Now they are bunched in with a bunch a contenders and 3rd in the metro.
Caps odds got better but we still picked to come 2nd to last only better then CBJ

* Odds update
3 way tie at +240 for Metro winner. Canes, Devils, Rangers
Caps now ahead of the Flyers!

Last edited:

trick9

Jun 2, 2013

View attachment 892472

Players have more leverage than in the past so NTC/NMC are just reality now. Mac does a good job minimizing them, but there’s no getting around it anymore.

I love it. It's not even bad and even if you wanted to trade him, you still are left with plenty of options. I'd guess he wanted to block out Canada + rebuilders.

Other D's got:

Pesce - Mentioned above (NTC first 3, then 15 team no-trade list)

Skjei - NMC the entire deal

Montour - NTC first 3 years, then 15 team no-trade list

Tanev - NMC the entire deal (Woof)

Zadorov - NMC first 2 years, then 16 team no-trade list

Walker - 15 team no-trade list until 2027

Myers - NMC for 2 years, then 12 team no-trade list (Woof)

Chatfield - NMC for 2 years, then 15 team no-trade list (Woof)

Dillon - NTC for 2 years, then 10 team no-trade list

OEL - 16 team no-trade list

Gostisbehere - 15 team no-trade list first 2 years, then 10 team no-trade list

Then there are my personal favourites:

W.Carrier - NMC first 5 years (!!!)

Duclair - NTC first 2 years, then 16 team no-trade list

Toffoli - NTC first 3 years, then 15 team no-trade list

Stephenson - NMC first 4 years, then 10 team no-trade list

Monahan - NMC first 3 years, then 15 team no-trade list

DeBrusk - NMC first 4 years, then 15 team no-trade list

Along with Skjei, both Stamkos and Marchessault got full NMC for their entire deals too.

Needless to say that GMBM did really well. I love it that GMBM doesn't hand out trade protection like candy. You look at team like Wild where they basically give out protection for even 3rd liners is somewhat cringe. Blues another team that are now stapled to their anchors through forever.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
We have a lot of lefties in the forward group. I’m guessing Protas and Mangiapane flip to RW?

My first stab at lines would be something like:

Ovechkin-Strome-Wilson
Lapierre-Dubois-Mangiapane
Milano-McMichael-Protas
Duhaime-Dowd-Raddysh

At first glance I haven’t really liked the look of Dubois and Ovi together. In theory both of those guys would benefit from speedier, pacy players to balance out the loafing. Protas can be in the mix there too.

I would be curious to see cristall make noise at camp and force a 9 game too. Since he can’t go AHL I’d be willing to give him a little cup of tea with the caps before being returned to Kelowna.

Give Miro top line in Hershey

Jun 15, 2007
I think GMBM not handing out NMCs is more of a fortuitous thing for us rather than some genius insight. Obviously no GM wants to hand out NMCs, they feel like they are forced to in order to get their guy.

Ovechkins signed his mega deal before NMCs and NTCs became super popular. His NTC was only a few teams as I recall. So from that point on GMGM and GMBM could pretty much point to Ovechkin and say "look he doesn't have an NMC, I'm not giving you one"

After Ovechkin retires I think we'll be the same as any other team, handing out NMCs and NTCs to ensure the signing.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I think GMBM not handing out NMCs is more of a fortuitous thing for us rather than some genius insight. Obviously no GM wants to hand out NMCs, they feel like they are forced to in order to get their guy.

Ovechkins signed his mega deal before NMCs and NTCs became super popular. His NTC was only a few teams as I recall. So from that point on GMGM and GMBM could pretty much point to Ovechkin and say "look he doesn't have an NMC, I'm not giving you one"

After Ovechkin retires I think we'll be the same as any other team, handing out NMCs and NTCs to ensure the signing.

Yeah... that's not luck.

Obviously it's a great advantage but then again in theory, any UFA that you are about to sign can just as easily have his agent point out that look at all these other 5 top D's. These 3 have NMC and these 2 have NTC. Examples and comparables work both ways.

Some teams refuse to give them out, no matter what. In the long-term likely it leads to losing out on some of your UFA targets atleast, but it gives you more freedom. Some teams propably rather pay slightly more to avoid handing these clauses away.

Caps have handed out those, and Pacioretty example last season was once again a great reason not to hand those away.

But i do agree with you, Caps will start handing out these more in the future, but likely not until they reach contender -status again. It's tough for contenders because while you want your freedom, it's a tough situation having your backs against the wall and being in a situation where you can't afford to lose someone and you kind of prefer to save every dollar possible from the cap hit. Even then i hope we never reach the situation like some of these teams who have handed out NMC's to their 3rd and 4th line players and bottom-pairing D's for years to come.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

I disagree….I believe this is an organizational strategy. They don’t want to hand out NMCs…..NTC, sure, but they don’t want to fully handcuff themselves and I believe they would pass on anyone other than a truly elite player who demanded that.

Once again very little credit to Ted and the Leadership group for a sound tactic, but it isn’t luck.

Reactions: Calicaps

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
I like GMBM emphasizing earning spots. How it could play out is if Miroshnichenko excels in Hershey he may prompt a Milano move at the TD, which wouldn't be a sell but rather a changing of the guard. Milano is cheap, signed for 2025-2026, and could return a decent pick. Again, data/play dependent.

I see Mango as a placeholder for Leonard, plain and simple. His 5.8 comes off and Leonard's ELC replaces it.

Long term I see Cristall, Funk and Parascak as early potential front runners for the top 9.

Will also be interesting if this group ramps up to Cup Contender status does Ovi stay on at low cost, single year deals with very sheltered time to be part of that post 895. Not as a passenger, but only if he can contribute in some specific role. Winning is a huge motivator for him.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I like GMBM emphasizing earning spots. How it could play out is if Miroshnichenko excels in Hershey he may prompt a Milano move at the TD, which wouldn't be a sell but rather a changing of the guard. Milano is cheap, signed for 2025-2026, and could return a decent pick. Again, data/play dependent.

I see Mango as a placeholder for Leonard, plain and simple. His 5.8 comes off and Leonard's ELC replaces it.

Long term I see Cristall, Funk and Parascak as early potential front runners for the top 9.

Will also be interesting if this group ramps up to Cup Contender status does Ovi stay on at low cost, single year deals with very sheltered time to be part of that post 895. Not as a passenger, but only if he can contribute in some specific role. Winning is a huge motivator for him.
If we're smart we move all the UFAs at the deadline if they aren't resigned. Then move up guys from Hershey to fill their spots. Another half season and some of these guys will be knocking the door down anyway to get a call up. Unless we somehow look like a legitimate Stanley cup contender and think we have a chance... but not really seeing it.

TRADE / REPLACE
Dowd / Sutter
Mangiapane / Miro
Raddysh / Trineyev
Chucky / Stevenson or Shep
Chychrun(would like to sign) / Alexeyev or HHA
Bear / Iorio or McIlrath

After the deadline...

Ovi-Dubois-Wilson
Miro-Strome-Lappy
Milano-McMichael-Protas
Duhaime-Sutter-Trineyev
Fever-Carlson
Sandin-Roy
Alexeyev-TVR
Thompson
Stevenson/Shep

Kazer

Jun 20, 2009
Maryland, US
If we're smart we move all the UFAs at the deadline if they aren't resigned. Then move up guys from Hershey to fill their spots. Another half season and some of these guys will be knocking the door down anyway to get a call up. Unless we somehow look like a legitimate Stanley cup contender and think we have a chance... but not really seeing it.

TRADE / REPLACE
Dowd / Sutter
Mangiapane / Miro
Raddysh / Trineyev
Bear / Iorio or McIlrath

After the deadline...

Ovi-Dubois-Wilson
Miro-Strome-Lappy
Milano-McMichael-Protas
Duhaime-Sutter-Trineyev
Fever-Carlson
Sandin-Roy
Alexeyev-TVR
Thompson
Stevenson/Shep
Unless things go massively wayward, I don't see a full-scale sell off happening. Just like this year, the team will likely identify two or three pieces they can either live without (Edmundson) or get a good return for (Mantha).

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

TRADE / REPLACE
Dowd / Sutter
Mangiapane / Miro
Raddysh / Trineyev
Bear / Iorio or McIlrath

After the deadline...

Ovi-Dubois-Wilson
Miro-Strome-Lappy
Milano-McMichael-Protas
Duhaime-Sutter-Trineyev
Fever-Carlson
Sandin-Roy
Alexeyev-TVR
Thompson
Stevenson/Shep
No chance they do this unless the team is headed towards the lottery. BMac didn’t put together a team that should be significantly better than last year just so he could tear it down after 50 games.

I could see him moving pieces that haven’t panned out or if guys start losing their spot in the lineup, sure, but nothing to the extent you’re talking about.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I disagree….I believe this is an organizational strategy. They don’t want to hand out NMCs…..NTC, sure, but they don’t want to fully handcuff themselves and I believe they would pass on anyone other than a truly elite player who demanded that.

Once again very little credit to Ted and the Leadership group for a sound tactic, but it isn’t luck.
Yeah, hasn't it been explicitly stated? Like that Ovy's limited NMC is the best any player is getting?

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
No chance they do this unless the team is headed towards the lottery. BMac didn’t put together a team that should be significantly better than last year just so he could tear it down after 50 games.

I could see him moving pieces that haven’t panned out or if guys start losing their spot in the lineup, sure, but nothing to the extent you’re talking about.
All of those people are UFAs, he didn't assemble this team full of UFAs for no reason. If he was team building for the long haul he would have gone after guys with term.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

TRADE / REPLACE
Dowd / Sutter
Mangiapane / Miro
Raddysh / Trineyev
Bear / Iorio or McIlrath

After the deadline...

Ovi-Dubois-Wilson
Miro-Strome-Lappy
Milano-McMichael-Protas
Duhaime-Sutter-Trineyev
Fever-Carlson
Sandin-Roy
Alexeyev-TVR
Thompson
Stevenson/Shep
Just saying I have to agree w @Kazer & @AlexBrovechkin8 ….

Unless the bottom falls out, they won’t sell off.

I mean truly, there are 3(4) pivotal UFA’s going into summer ‘25. Chychrun, Mangie, and the G’s. The rest (even Dowd) is fodder, IMO.

IF they have any designs on resigning any of those players, they won’t trade them.

IF they are “in the mix” as a playoff team, they also won’t trade them (regardless of future)

IF they are simply bad fits, then a trade is probably likely. Lindgren won’t be a bad fit, obv. BUT, it’s possible if Thompson is lights out, they *could* trade Chucky. But I don’t see it. The other 3? For sure GMBM would sell if the fit was bad.

IMO, the only way this team is NOT in playoff contention, is either really bad fits with the new guys or major injuries to a lot of core players (Carlson, Chychrun, Strome, PLD, Ovy, etc etc).

That’s it. The team is simply too young to “regress” all that much. They are too young to “all age” quickly (in a bad way). They have too much youth that SHOULD be improving simply due to experience and growth, have that be a thing.

Obv I’m bullish here, but I do think it’s for GOOD reason, not just some 50/50 “Glass is half full!!” thing.

hb13xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
They gave a full NMC to Pacioretty last year.
On a one year deal. IIRC the organization is pretty well known for having a philosophy for not giving out the NMC/NTC like a lot of teams do.

Not related to you, but good on those players on getting those clauses in their contracts. A lot of those guys have families and young kids that they would be uprooting so I can see why those clauses would be important to them at this point in their careers.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
All of those people are UFAs, he didn't assemble this team full of UFAs for no reason. If he was team building for the long haul he would have gone after guys with term.
Agree to an extent. He assembled a team of UFAs for flexibility. It offers room for cap moves, for further improvements/adjustments, and for kids--but only if they're really ready to contribute. (I think a few will be.)

But it's not gonna be a housecleaning unless something goes very wrong.

Reactions: SecretaryofDefense5

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad