Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
If it's a UFA RD it sort of has to be Montour or Roy I guess. Pesce seemed headed to NJD. TOR traded for Tanev's rights. Marino already moved. The other guy that may be available is Faulk from STL.

Could also be a LD like Skjei but you'd think it's easier to add a 2RD while subtracting Jensen.
Montour is probably out of our price range and would want a long deal that doesn't really seem to work for our long term plan. Roy will be right at our range probably but depending on how fast Montour signs he could be a bidding war. Ideally I'd like to keep the trade for expiring contracts trend going and sell like crazy at the deadline.

Reactions: Calicaps

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Trineyev is the one with the draft/prospect pedigree to fill Malenstyn's role, but he got outplayed by Ribynski in the playoffs by a decent margin to my eyes. This is also the best opportunity Sutter is likely going to get to try and secure an NHL spot, although I think he's a better fit at center than wing.

I wouldn't hate an external addition to the 4th line mix, so long as they're cheap.

Reactions: Holtbyisms

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
My quick and basic understanding is they will have to.move cap space out to go big on a UFA as any Oshie LTIR can't used in full right now.

Moving Jensen/TvR alone is 7M. Maybe Dowd is used to push those moves over the line. Some of the teams that have been taking the top piks recently have a LOT of picks left and a good amount of cap space. SJ, Utah, Chicago.. all will want to start showing on ice progress soon and our 2 year contract vets could be a help for them as it allows them to make big long term UFA moves two years down the road and have those UFAs closer in age to ther young stars.

Might see moves like that over the next day.
I’d like to move them both. Spend 6-8M on a good 25-28 RD. Spend 1-2M on RD reclamation project and hope provide good competition for 3RD.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Perhaps an interesting younger option. Still not super established so not quite an impact add. But younger still with some upside to build with. Someone of that general profile may be where to target. Chychrun is more established and still hasn't moved. Ottawa is looking for stabilizing vets so maybe there's a fit. That still seems like the best trade fit, although one with longer-term risk for durability reasons assuming he's extended.

Not too much else among RFA defensemen likely to shake loose. Maybe Durzi if Utah continues to make additions and he gets squeezed out.

I could see them adding one fourth-liner but less so two. They do have a long list of options that can compete in camp. I also thought Rybinski was more versatile and impressive all-around than Trineyev (esp. offensively). Definitely would wager they're going to want a greater degree of reliability and proven PK pedigree to replace Beck, though. Sutter could perhaps do it but I'd still hedge given just how big of a role Beck played.

Edit: Some other D trade possibilities that come to mind: Mike Matheson, MacKenzie Weegar, Torey Krug, Neal Pionk, Darnell Nurse, Ivan Provorov, Nick Leddy, Eric Gudbranson and Cody Ceci. Quite a few marginal at best upgrades, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rayquaza64

MW6

Oct 21, 2011
Umeå
Josh Manson has been in the rumor mill a little bit and would be perfect as a partner for Sandin IMO. Avs is in a bit of capcrunch so maybe a Jensen/TVR with retention ++ would be of interest?
Avs seem to fancy speed and Jensen, CMC, Fever all bring that element so they could be enticing pieces in some shape.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC

11. MacLellan and his staff are staying in Vegas for the opening of free agency on July 1.

With the draft in Las Vegas and losing three hours returning from the Pacific time zone, MacLellan said he didn’t want to spend all day Sunday in the air.

“We have a war room set up here (at the hotel),” MacLellan said, “and we’ll see what we can do.”

12. With free agency set to open Monday, MacLellan indicated that he still hopes to address the Caps’ blue line.

“We’re working on trying to make changes there,” he said.

Asked if he hoped to accomplish that on the open market or via another trade, he said: “Both. We’re going to shop around and see what we can find.”

These notes stood out to me...

11. Staying in Vegas for FA and having a War room means we are not close to done with off season work. July 1st 12pm est should be interesting start of FA. We dont have a ton of money to go UFA bidding without Oshie LTIR or a trade.

CAP SPACE WITH LTIR CANDIDATES
Tooltip
: $6,368,333​

12. GMBM says hes going shopping, This makes me think we dont have a main target and we are going to be open to jump on player we didnt think would be there. I think we could be in on some trades more then UFA. I think we can jump on some buyouts or sell low players with the top teams trying to make cap space to go into UFA.

The trades we made this weekend were both UFA and have no impact on future cap space and we own all our own draft picks still.

Last edited:

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Ovi-Lappy-Protas
PLD-Strome-Wilson
Milano-CMM-Mangiapane
Miro-Dowd-Oshie?

Even with Oshie not retiring hard to see him up in the lineup
GMBM could trade him even maybe if they need too much space suddenly

There is a need on D and that D could be either side, just the one that will play some substantial term and in top-4

I wish Sandin was a better player, because if you imagine removing Carlson that D lineup is very bad instantly, another core D is a must

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
If GMBM is looking to upgrade 2RD with a proven (under-30) veteran who is defensively responsible (but not an offensive black hole), eats a tons of minutes (including PK), is liked in the locker room, and who passes both the eye test and analytics test—and wants to do so by clearing cap space through a trade (Jensen, preferably, or TVR) and then signing a UFA—I agree that Matt Roy seems like a perfect (if not exactly high-profile) choice.

Though it will reportedly cost $6-$6.5m for 5-6 years. Several teams are interested. OTT sounds particularly interested? And who knows if GMBM is looking for that type of committment right now, even if it’s a great fit.

SecretaryofDefense5

Mar 20, 2022
Washington DC
If GMBM is looking to upgrade 2RD with a proven (under-30) veteran who is defensively responsible (but not an offensive black hole), eats a tons of minutes (including PK), is liked in the locker room, and who passes both the eye test and analytics test—and wants to do so by clearing cap space through a trade (Jensen, preferably, or TVR) and then signing a UFA—I agree that Matt Roy seems like a perfect (if not exactly high-profile) choice.

Though it will reportedly cost $6-$6.5m for 5-6 years. Several teams are interested. OTT sounds particularly interested? And who knows if GMBM is looking for that type of committment right now, even if it’s a great fit.
It will have to be a deal with term to cut the AAV.

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
Ovi-Lappy-Protas
PLD-Strome-Wilson
Milano-CMM-Mangiapane
Miro-Dowd-Oshie?

If Dowd and Milano are under any consideration to move today (along with Jensen/TvR) to gain space to be aggressive with D tomorrow we could have something like:

PLD-Strome-Wilson
Ovi-Lappy-Miro
Miro-CMM-Mangiapane
XXXXX-Protas-Trineyev

Where XXXXX is someone from Hershey or a cheap UFA. Leonard takes Mango's spot the following year (reshuffle the top 9 with Leonard in to taste).

If we could move all of Jensen/TvR/Dowd/Milano that would be a bunch of cash and probably a bunch more picks for more draft day fun next year.

Last edited:

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
We probably see some more certainty around CMM soon. He could move as part of a deal, or sign a bridge deal, or get something like Protas but anywhere in the 3.5M to 5m over 5 years.

I do think GMBM and Carbs like him but anything is on the table from reluctant trade to all-in

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I think Montour and Roy are both good options depending on the price point. Roy is certainly stronger defensively and has been more consistent over the years, but Montour brings much more offensively and can run a PP from the point. It'll depend on what they're looking for. I think I'd lean toward Roy but I'd certainly understand if they wanted more O from the D.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I think Montour and Roy are both good options depending on the price point. Roy is certainly stronger defensively and has been more consistent over the years, but Montour brings much more offensively and can run a PP from the point. It'll depend on what they're looking for. I think I'd lean toward Roy but I'd certainly understand if they wanted more O from the D.
Would you be willing to pay a 30 year old Montour 8+ for probably a minimum (guessing what teams would offer him) 5 years? I don't think I would given the outlook of the franchise here in a few seasons. I'm not sure he fits the Capitals current makeup and likely direction well. I'd be more willing to pay Roy I think but I'd obviously want to find a way out of Jensen ASAP. Preferably before I signed him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad