GDT: Caps @ Jets Mar 22/13 7pm

Liberati0n*

:shakehead

Why can't we say "more better" when we can say "much better"?

Grammar's Response
We can't modify a comparative adjective with the comparative adverb "more" — mostly because it doesn't tell us anything that the comparative adjective wouldn't tell us by itself. Let's say I heat a substance on the stove. The substance is now hotter than it was before. And then I heat it some more. I have made it hotter, not more hotter (i.e., the "more" doesn't add anything to the comparison). However, if I want to intensify the process somehow, I can say that I made the substance "much hotter." In the same manner, I can say either that "Joe is taller than his brother," and if Joe grows over the summer, I can say that "Joe is now much taller than his brother," but not that he is "more taller." Also, "Sarah was beautiful last year" and now "She is even more beautiful" (but there is no way to impose a second comparison upon the comparative "more beautiful"). :teach:

:laugh: Just had to do it to our resident Grammar Police Officer. I'm sure I'll now be closely scrutinized.

Obviously did that on purpose and didn't mean for it to be grammatical. Now that you bring it up, though, I would argue that it actually is. It's not a matter of grammatical "rules"; it's just a matter of conceptual integrity...like, do the precise meanings of these words together represent what they're supposed to, does that conceptually make sense, and so on.

Anyway, I missed the game but the highlights were nice. They're technically 3 points out now so I'm expecting them to lose like three straight just to be ****s.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Ribeiro mentioned last night on the Cisco arena cam interview that having Green in the lineup "makes them a completely different team". For as much grief as Green gets from the fans, at least his teammates understand how important he is.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Over the past few seasons, when Green is in the lineup, the team is better. Just look at last year, a winning streak to start the season. Then Green gets hurt, the team struggles, and BB gets fired.

This team can play a run and gun game when he plays. Teams respect his ability. Why else would they continue to target him.

When you have to worry about a d-man, it changes their game plan. No other d-men on this team demand that attention.

I've done the statistical analysis of games with Green and without over the seasons prior to that and there's no causal or significant difference. IIRC some of the team's stats were actually better without him in the seasons prior to last year, which is hard to quantify because of all the factors.

They continue to target him because of what he did years ago, and they know they can take him out. It doesn't mean he's going to stay healthy or single-handedly raise the entire team from worst to best. He is not the same player he was 3-4 years ago.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Ribeiro mentioned last night on the Cisco arena cam interview that having Green in the lineup "makes them a completely different team". For as much grief as Green gets from the fans, at least his teammates understand how important he is.

Caps are 8-9-1 with Green (3G, 5A) in the lineup this year, which is not really any different than their record without him. And Ribeiro has played 18 total games with him.

Green is skilled with the puck and has improved his defense. But he is not a world-beater, or even the Green of recent years. Maybe he COULD return to that form, but he has to stay healthy, and just being on the ice is not enough.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I've done the statistical analysis of games with Green and without over the seasons prior to that and there's no causal or significant difference.

So you just don't feel like sharing the actual numbers...?

Halpysback*

They're not bad without Green because they miss Mike Green, they're bad without Green because their puck moving ability tanks. They need one puck moving LD and one pairing that's all puck movement

Alzner Carlson
Liles Orlov
Smid Ovechsky
Erskine Kundratek

Something like that. Also teach Alzner to move the puck once we have him locked up and don't need him to put up bad numbers in a contract year. He has the ability to do so.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Any analysis of Green starts with Norris Green, and no where near Norris Green.

He is a different player now.

I would wager the dependency factor relates directly to that. We sucked without Green under Bruce, no stats needed. Just memory.

What I want to know is our record with Green healthy, and Green playing injured. Is it better to play an adrenaline callup.

Bruce also didn't trust anyone but Green. other RDs were never even groomed for emergency PP duty, which in a way can explain why we sucked without him.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Anyone else think Hillen looks really solid? He looks like a really good bottom pairing Dman IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad