Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2020 Offseason Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
Ok yes, last year was brutal but the Detroit Red Wings as a whole were terrible, literally one of the worst seasons ever so maybe we take that into consideration.

The guy on average is .912 and 2.62 GAA. I think he still has 2 years in him as a backup playing 25ish games.

If we're ignoring age and recent play, then let's sign Ryan Miller! He's got a career .915 SV% and 2.61 GAA.

Seriously though, Detroit's defense may have been bad, but Howard did nothing to bail them out. Of the 54 goalies who played at least 1000 minutes at 5 on 5, he had the 2nd worst high danger SV%. If you still want to claim last year was an aberration, extending that to the last 3 seasons with at least 3000 minutes bumps him up to 8th worst out of 53. A better defense might camouflage how bad he's become, but that doesn't mean he's not a bad goalie.

^^^^
^^^^
AND to continue haha

Howard was the backup last year how many nights was he playing on the second of a back to back with a trash team in front of him?

Throw that year out

All backups get used that way, and whoever the Caps sign will continue to play the second night of back to backs.

Reactions: Hivemind

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Let's not try and say Samsonov is a certified starter. Completely ignored the fact that he hasn't started more than 37! games in one season over the course of his career. That's not even half a season. You're going to need a veteran backup to help ease the load. Samsonov has shown glimpses of being a bonafide starter in the NHL, he's just not there yet. Hell, he even said last season he got tired as the year wore on IIRC.

A 1B goaltender is not a "dumpster dive" player. Take a look around the NHL and you'll notice most teams are going the 1a/1b route.

And it's really not the exception to the rule when Pittsburgh has recently rode two goaltenders to back to back Stanley Cups.

Firstly, I had been saying that Samsonov was as likely a pig in a poke as he is as good as Holtby or Kolzig. Too many think he is a done deal.

Petr Mrazek is my definition of a dumpster dive goalie. IMO any goalies for normal reasons not good enough to earn a starting job is a roll of the dice. You want Matt Murray? That would scare me to death.

No Samsonov is no better than a roll of the dice. After this injury I am even less sanguine but if the Caps go the 1b route their best change to go deep in the playoffs is with Samsonov living up to the hype. Not hitting the jackpot with a mediocre goalie

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Firstly, I had been saying that Samsonov was as likely a pig in a poke as he is as good as Holtby or Kolzig. Too many think he is a done deal.

Petr Mrazek is my definition of a dumpster dive goalie. IMO any goalies for normal reasons not good enough to earn a starting job is a roll of the dice. You want Matt Murray? That would scare me to death.

No Samsonov is no better than a roll of the dice. After this injury I am even less sanguine but if the Caps go the 1b route their best change to go deep in the playoffs is with Samsonov living up to the hype. Not hitting the jackpot with a mediocre goalie
I genuinely don't even know what your argument is anymore. Petr Mrazek is by no means a "dumpster dive" and I never said I wanted Matt Murray. I used the Penguins as an example of how they relied heavily on two very solid goaltenders to win back to back Stanley Cups. Murray got the bulk of the starts but without Fleury stabilizing the net, the Penguins have one or two less rings.

The reason for a 1B goaltender is to take the load off of Samsonov not to use them as a the playoff starter. I would much rather Sammy get 50 or less regular season games and be well rested AND have the insurance of a 1B goaltender. Those "Dumpster Dive" players are more likely to carry the load in a SC run than Vanecek or Copley would if Samsonov goes down.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Let's not try and say Samsonov is a certified starter. Completely ignored the fact that he hasn't started more than 37! games in one season over the course of his career. That's not even half a season. You're going to need a veteran backup to help ease the load. Samsonov has shown glimpses of being a bonafide starter in the NHL, he's just not there yet. Hell, he even said last season he got tired as the year wore on IIRC.

A 1B goaltender is not a "dumpster dive" player. Take a look around the NHL and you'll notice most teams are going the 1a/1b route.

And it's really not the exception to the rule when Pittsburgh has recently rode two goaltenders to back to back Stanley Cups.

I agreed with this a lot, particularly Samsonov's limited experience in surviving the long haul of the season, until COVID.

At this point, I expect a heavily shortened 2021 season. Not starting more than 37 games might not be that far off what he's expected to start.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I agreed with this a lot, particularly Samsonov's limited experience in surviving the long haul of the season, until COVID.

At this point, I expect a heavily shortened 2021 season. Not starting more than 37 games might not be that far off what he's expected to start.
Solid point on the shortened season. You also have to factor in his injury. He hasn’t been on the ice since February or March in game action and conditioning has to be somewhat of a worry. Hopefully he’s back in Washington once he’s fully healed up and is on the ice with whatever coaching staff is around

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018

I really hope the NHL finalizes the schedule for this season soon, cause it's gonna have a huge impact on roster construction. If they decide to cram a full 82 game schedule into a shorter period, then depth becomes much more of a priority than usual, and cheaping out on big additions in favor of carrying more healthy scratches and maybe even a third goalie makes sense. If they lower the number of games to keep the frequency the same as usual, then depth is less of a priority than usual and it makes more sense to ride Samsonov and splash money on a 2RD or a 3rd line winger. It's gotta be frustrating for GMs to still not know what to expect this close to the draft and free agency.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I genuinely don't even know what your argument is anymore. Petr Mrazek is by no means a "dumpster dive" and I never said I wanted Matt Murray. I used the Penguins as an example of how they relied heavily on two very solid goaltenders to win back to back Stanley Cups. Murray got the bulk of the starts but without Fleury stabilizing the net, the Penguins have one or two less rings.

The reason for a 1B goaltender is to take the load off of Samsonov not to use them as a the playoff starter. I would much rather Sammy get 50 or less regular season games and be well rested AND have the insurance of a 1B goaltender. Those "Dumpster Dive" players are more likely to carry the load in a SC run than Vanecek or Copley would if Samsonov goes down.

No...its not just to lessen the load or else you would be comfortable with Sammy as the starter. You have said in this thread that he is still an unknown and the reason for a 1b is to both lighten the games played on a goalie with no background for that many games, but also to provide an option in case he proves that he is not ready.

I am simply saying that a 1b isnt going to be a reliable goalie for a cup run. I agree that Samsonov is not even a reliable starter yet

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

thank you....some sense here.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
No...its not just to lessen the load or else you would be comfortable with Sammy as the starter. You have said in this thread that he is still an unknown and the reason for a 1b is to both lighten the games played on a goalie with no background for that many games, but also to provide an option in case he proves that he is not ready.

I am simply saying that a 1b isnt going to be a reliable goalie for a cup run. I agree that Samsonov is not even a reliable starter yet

so Sammy isn’t ready either, then no point in this 1b conversation then if we’re doomed no matter the starter.

Basically Sammy IS a 1b starter dude until he proves he’s not. They need a reliable co-starter IMO, not some waiver wire BS.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I would rather build a strong team around the goalies we drafted. I don’t think another teams cast off is going to help much.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania

Literally teams have a 1A/1B so one guy isn’t getting a ton of starts. Samsonov hasn’t proven he can carry the load yet. A solid backup makes that transition from backup goaltender to starter easier on the young kid and it is also insurance in case Samsonov gets injured. Again, I’d much rather trust a guy like Greiss or Mrazek who have recently proven they can step in and be a competent goaltender over the likes of Vanecek or Copley. There are plenty of recent examples of teams needing to use both goaltenders while making a deep run in the SC playoffs.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
In my opinion a 1b is a waste of money. By definition he is a mediocre goalie that you cant go anywhere with. Samsonov is either good enough to win with or they wont win. Use the money you would spend on a 1b on a good everyday player and increase your chances if Samsonov can handle it.

You've seen our defense... yeah.. I don't think it's a good idea to bank so much on a young goalie right away with this defensive group and forwards.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
so Sammy isn’t ready either, then no point in this 1b conversation then if we’re doomed no matter the starter.

Basically Sammy IS a 1b starter dude until he proves he’s not. They need a reliable co-starter IMO, not some waiver wire BS.

I dont know what Sammy is. He has skills. Thats all I know. If you think they can win a cup with a mediocre goalie, good. I dont. I think to win they need Samsonov to play to his hype and be a stud. I am saying that I am not sold that he is that yet, where many are. I dont think going with an alternative has a lot of upside.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Literally teams have a 1A/1B so one guy isn’t getting a ton of starts. Samsonov hasn’t proven he can carry the load yet. A solid backup makes that transition from backup goaltender to starter easier on the young kid and it is also insurance in case Samsonov gets injured. Again, I’d much rather trust a guy like Greiss or Mrazek who have recently proven they can step in and be a competent goaltender over the likes of Vanecek or Copley. There are plenty of recent examples of teams needing to use both goaltenders while making a deep run in the SC playoffs.

A solid back up and a 1b are different things. I am good with a solid back up. I would expect that.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
You've seen our defense... yeah.. I don't think it's a good idea to bank so much on a young goalie right away with this defensive group and forwards.

Which is why i would spend the extra cap space on a defenseman rather than a 1b goalie.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Which is why i would spend the extra cap space on a defenseman rather than a 1b goalie.

Did you not see the article details from this morning? We are pretty much going with Carlson, Dillon, Orlov, Jensen, Siegenthaler, Fehervary and Kempny. The same group except for Fever in for Gudas. Unless we move Kempny with no cap coming back. But who wants to do that when cap space is considered to be gold now?

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Count me in as a Samsonov-Vanecek tandem stan. If you go on the market for a goalie you better waste your assets be it cap space or picks for a legit goaltender who is not old, who is on the rise and who might be the starter presently and in the future with about the same probability as Samsonov. If you don't have that option on the market just roll the dice with what you have. Sometimes it's just time to give the kids the stage to showcase what they really got. They're not that young anymore. It's time to become men

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Did you not see the article details from this morning? We are pretty much going with Carlson, Dillon, Orlov, Jensen, Siegenthaler, Fehervary and Kempny. The same group except for Fever in for Gudas. Unless we move Kempny with no cap coming back. But who wants to do that when cap space is considered to be gold now?

I didnt see that. What publication? I dont think they will have any trouble trading Kempny. He is not overpaid for a 3rd pair defenseman on a non top heavy cap team. He has a cup ring. I dont see why the Caps couldnt find someone else for him to play for.

My only concern with Samsonov and our defense would be Fehervary playing big mins. A rookie defenseman and rookie starter can create some rookie catastrophes. If they are confident in Dillon, thats fine. I feel good about Jensen. They go as far as Orlov can take them.

Edit: I wonder if Hank would be willing to take what the Caps have to offer?

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
I didnt see that. What publication? I dont think they will have any trouble trading Kempny. He is not overpaid for a 3rd pair defenseman on a non top heavy cap team. He has a cup ring. I dont see why the Caps couldnt find someone else for him to play for.

My only concern with Samsonov and our defense would be Fehervary playing big mins. A rookie defenseman and rookie starter can create some rookie catastrophes. If they are confident in Dillon, thats fine. I feel good about Jensen. They go as far as Orlov can take them.

Edit: I wonder if Hank would be willing to take what the Caps have to offer?

TEB on what he has heard about the Caps in his Athletic article.

About Kempny, I hope they find a taker without cap coming back, but its not a normal year. There has been a large amount of talk from a lot of teams buying out players. That means there isn't much of a market of teams willing to take on cap period so teams are just buying them out. The market is going to be oversaturated with marginal players.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
TEB on what he has heard about the Caps in his Athletic article.

About Kempny, I hope they find a taker without cap coming back, but its not a normal year. There has been a large amount of talk from a lot of teams buying out players. That means there isn't much of a market of teams willing to take on cap period so teams are just buying them out. The market is going to be oversaturated with marginal players.

The market is going to be oversaturated with players. Period. Frankly, I havent closed the door on Holtby coming back because the UFA market might be a nightmare. I dont think finding a place for Kempny would be that hard but its true that there is really nothing that you can count on. Who knows how many games they will play or if they will play.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Regarding goaltending, first things 1st they need to hire a better goalie coach! 2nd they need to sign an experienced goalie who has been a starter before. My choice is either Greiss or a bought out Lundqvist on a 1 year deal. Because of their older age, they will cost on the cheaper side. Let's be real, because of the flat salary cap ceiling, a lot of goalies are gonna have to sign for cheaper than they want to. So even older goalies like Greiss and Khudobin, are not gonna get a big bump increase in salary from what they are making now. The way it could happen in Free Agency, the starting goalies will be signed 1st and then the domino effect of the backup goalies will be signed afterwards.

Going back to the goalie coach, the Caps can't stick with Scott Murray(he couldn't connect with Holtby and I was not impressed at all what he did with Samsonov). They need a more experienced goalie coach who knows the goalies around the league, because that goalie coach needs to make recommendations to Laviolette to confer with GM BMac on who to try to sign in Free Agency.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
The market is going to be oversaturated with players. Period. Frankly, I havent closed the door on Holtby coming back because the UFA market might be a nightmare. I dont think finding a place for Kempny would be that hard but its true that there is really nothing that you can count on. Who knows how many games they will play or if they will play.

Holtby is done with us! He's not gonna sign a short-term deal and he's not taking backup money. Another team will most definitely land him as their #1, but at the same amount or a bit less than what he was making on his last contract. Some of you really need to move on with holding out hope to re-sign Holtby!

Reactions: Rayquaza64

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Holtby is done with us! He's not gonna sign a short-term deal and he's not taking backup money. Another team will most definitely land him as their #1, but at the same amount or a bit less than what he was making on his last contract. Some of you really need to move on with holding out hope to re-sign Holtby!

I would put money that if Holtby is brought back, even if he's only on a one year deal, he'd be the 1A and they'd let Sammy marinate for another year.

So if the money is the same, I see no reason he wouldn't come back. We're penciling in Sammy only because Holts is leaving.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
There is no need to sign Holtby to 1y contract. You can sign him to term and then later trade him. Win-win.

The only obstacle is cap space. Which is obtainable via Panik and co.

Boston had this problem with Rask kinda. There was a moment Thomas was paid like 7M and then Rask was signed to 4M or smth like that. In a year Thomas retired and Rask became #1 for the time being.

In our case Holtby wont be retiring, he will be a good asset for Caps. At the very least you can leave him unprotected for ED.

After MAF's few years in Vegas I bet Seattle will gladly gamble on Holtby being good for them.

So, signing Holtby to term (without NTC/NMC ofc) with an agreement he could be unprotected if Sammy displaces him should be good enough for Caps. Maybe even Sammy goes into bad shape and gets unprotected status. I can imagine that, but I hope it wont be the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad