Caps fire organist Bruce Anderson - He will not be replaced

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Haven’t been to Cap One in years, but I noticed that the fan experience changed recently.

You could barely hear the organ anymore, the goal horn is quieter and the siren is gone.

The organ is a hockey classic, I understand if they want to play it less, but it gets the crowd going better than the latest canned pop music.

They could even have retro themed nights, with old school Caps jerseys and the organ.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
The organ has been the only thing not obnoxiously loud in the arena the last few years. I don’t know who told them they have to blast music at a painful decibel level every second the puck isn’t in play but that person shouldn’t have a job influencing game day experience anymore.
It's been obscenely loud for a long time. You're just getting old enough for it to bug you. ;) And not just loud, also bright and flashing and intrusively "interactive". The need to overstimulate and engage the fans from start to finish is pretty terrible. I've never understood why people can't just have a moment's peace.

Back in the day they had the organ, the goal horn, the announcer, and the game action. That was it. No ads even on the boards, nevermind the sweaters, and the "jumbotron" was basically just a scoreboard. And it didn't suck.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
It's been obscenely loud for a long time. You're just getting old enough for it to bug you. ;) And not just loud, also bright and flashing and intrusively "interactive". The need to overstimulate and engage the fans from start to finish is pretty terrible. I've never understood why people can't just have a moment's peace.

Back in the day they had the organ, the goal horn, the announcer, and the game action. That was it. No ads even on the boards, nevermind the sweaters, and the "jumbotron" was basically just a scoreboard. And it didn't suck.
Going to a Zards games is even worse. Took my Dad to one we essentially had seats right on where the hockey boards are behind the home team bench and it was so painfully loud it I swore never to sit that low again. And you guys know me playing in bands with full stacks or all the metal concerts over the years but would look around thinking people are damaging their hearing. And despite being like 20 feet from players on the court even when they would yell one could not hear them. It was unrelenting sonicness with no breaks. The artificial noise was also so lame. If I could find the person that kept mashing the 'clap clap clap' button they would have lost a finger.

/old man yells at clouds.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Next they'll have a live MC walking around the arena singing, rapping, and chatting everyone up.

Because to the boilerplate marketing graduate or average business owner that aspires to be a marketing maven, "more is better" and customer interaction/engagement/participation is always worth the effort, even if obnoxious and bothersome to many.

Don't believe the hype.

Reactions: Calicaps
Sep 19, 2008
Next they'll have a live MC walking around the arena singing, rapping, and chatting everyone up.

Because to the boilerplate marketing graduate or average business owner that aspires to be a marketing maven, "more is better" and customer interaction/engagement/participation is always worth the effort, even if obnoxious and bothersome to many.

Don't believe the hype.
that's already going on at wizards games lol i recall a few years ago the Caps were going to bring a DJ in but didn't

It's in every arena and every bar. It's done in bars so you can't converse with your friends so you eat and drink more. Probably the same reason in the arenas.
I went to Don Tito in Arlington the other day to meet some of the VT basketball coaches and it was pretty loud :laugh:

It's like I'm trying to talk to the coaches pipe that music down

Sep 19, 2008
I don’t like it either.

But feel like we should have a Progressive commercial going. “Progressive can’t save you from becoming your parents…”. Haha
They've cranked up the audio in the arena for like 3 years now and I have to bring earplugs every time, used to be I would only bring them for playoff games

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I don’t like it either.

But feel like we should have a Progressive commercial going. “Progressive can’t save you from becoming your parents…”. Haha
Best ad campaign on TV.

(My dad loved his Caps. He also believed that anything other than the game itself was a waste of time. Never even wanted to be there for warmups: His motto was "Ass hits seat when puck hits ice." And it was always a battle to get him to stay in his seat for more than 10 seconds after the final horn. So far I've avoided these pitfalls.)

Last edited:

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Best ad campaign on TV.

(My dad loved his Caps. He also believed that anything other than the game itself was a waste of time. Never even wanted to be there for warmups: His motto was "Ass hits seat when puck hits ice." And it was always a battle to get him to stay in his seat for more than 10 seconds after the final horn. So far I've avoided these pitfalls.)

Lol, he would have hated sitting with me then. I sit in the seats until the final horn and wait a few minutes. I don't even leave my seat for intermissions.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Lol, he would have hated sitting with me then. I sit in the seats until the final horn and wait a few minutes. I don't even leave my seat for intermissions.
Oh yeah! LOL! Every intermission he was up and out and walking the concourse, usually until the action was already restarted.

Sep 19, 2008
you can already miss him in the arena they just pipe in pop music to try to get the crowd yelling

JUSTTT TELL MEEEE WHYYYY

WONNDDDDERRWALLLLLL

such awful, awful mainstream swill. even after caps would give up a goal there would be a doot doot doot, let's go caps, from the organ. it is sorely missed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad