GDT: Caps @ Bolts - 11.1.2014 7 PM

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013
What a load of ****ing crap. The refs are complete garbage. Who the **** does the NHL hire? Some ****ing hobos on the streets? FFS make a correct ****ing call for once you pieces of trash!

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
We have 40 shots and have dominated possession yet lost. Again. When does it become not luck but something else.

I would rather be outplaying teams and losing then completely sucking. It will turn around for us, and we honestly have gone through a tough stretch of games. Tampa/Detriot/Vancouver are all solid. Edmonton is playing well. The one bad team we beat.

LifetimeUFA

Apr 12, 2014
staying calm and avoiding doom and gloom, TB is IMO the best team in the East and we played with them most of the game, just got a little unlucky with some posts and leaky play from Holts at times. We will get it together here soon

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Team played like garbage. Sorry, I'm not going to change my mind because they were putting the pressure in the 3rd, we've seen that plenty of times this season. If a team has a lead in the 3rd, we barely seem to be able to do anything to get some goals. Whatever they are trying, its not working.

- Holtby's inconsitent self
- 2nd line can cycle and pressure the other team, but can't generate crap off of it
- Ovi invisible, can't win like that. Your money guy needs to be able to do something

I wonder about the roster makeup and trying to play this style of hockey. I like Trotz, I like his system/style. I just don't think we have the right players to run it.

We have almost lost every game in the same fashion. Same story, but against different teams.

Only positive was Kuznetsov. He looked really really good. He's settling into that center position. He's being more assertive with the puck. He's gonna be a good one.

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013
Same old story. Took the foot off the gas for a couple of minutes and it's in the back of our net. Holtby doesn't stop the ones he needs to. Can't find the back of the net. Goalies playing out of this world against us. The puck bouncing at the most crucial times.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Frustrating loss..

There's stuff to nitpicks, but don't think this is the right game for that. Some luck is needed, too. Keep working, Caps..

maybam

Mar 30, 2010
Holtby has been inconsistent. Great saves followed by back breaking goals. That last goal against just shouldn't have gone in.

Caps played well. I think they will be fine.

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
Just a matter of patience though frustration is obviously building. The Caps are generating chances and out-possessing a lot of great teams it just seems like every boneheaded play ends up in the back of the net. If they start looking like ass and losing I'll be concerned.

Vladiator16*

Good effort, but another bad result, can't put my finger on it but this team is missing something (aside from obvious, consistent goaltending and strength up the middle)

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Best game so far for Kuznetsov, getting that first goal of the season seems to have really boosted his confidence with the puck. First game that I think he's outplayed Burakovsky.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Good effort, but another bad result, can't put my finger on it but this team is missing something (aside from obvious, consistent goaltending and strength up the middle)

What this team is missing is a 2nd serious scoring threat.

You can't have Mojo, Ward and Brouwer as your big threats that will pounce if teams load up against Ovechkin. We're back to a situation where as Ovechkin goes, the team goes.

Also, we need a goalie that doesn't choke when tied or up by a goal. If Holtby can get his head together, great. If not, adios.

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013

You can't have Mojo, Ward and Brouwer as your big threats that will pounce if teams load up against Ovechkin. We're back to a situation where as Ovechkin goes, the team goes.

Also, we need a goalie that doesn't choke when tied or up by a goal. If Holtby can get his head together, great. If not, adios.

It's been like that since Semin left. Who do we have to trade for a top 6 scorer? We could have signed Vrbata had we bought out tire boy.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Kuznetsov was definitely the silver lining. How the top three lines will find more cohesion is anyone's guess but he was far better with quality linemates/TOI.

There's still a way to go from a crispness standpoint. I'm not sure I love their work ethic (or at least how it's directed). They generally outwork teams in their choppy way but it has a sort of aimlessness or stupidity to it. They need to work smarter and purge the glide that remains in their game. There's still not nearly enough stop and start in their game relative to most any other NHL contest. It's maybe the most weirdly defining attribute they have.

DanTHEMan71

Feb 23, 2010
It's been like that since Semin left. Who do we have to trade for a top 6 scorer? We could have signed Vrbata had we bought out tire boy.

Yep, we never replaced Semin's peak role. Secondary scorer when OV is slumping. A guy who is EXPECTED to score 30 goals a year.

We don't have anyone other than OV expected to do that.

Vladiator16*

Yeah, another finisher would be nice, but in this young season Holtby hasn't helped the team in a key situations, and that sucks, I really like him, I hope crazy gargoyle dint mess him up permanently, because the talent is there, incredible few stops every game, and then as others have said, couple of min of... I don't know how to call it...Unfocused(?) play, and we down by a couple or few... Frustrating.

Halpysback*

Yeah, if only we had some skilled young guy with a massive offensive potential we could put in the top 6 somewhere. Heck, he could even be Russian like the last legitimate secondary scorer this team had!

aquablue

May 4, 2010
Yeah, if only we had some skilled young guy with a massive offensive potential we could put in the top 6 somewhere. Heck, he could even be Russian like the last legitimate secondary scorer this team had!

It seems like guys like MOJO, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Burakovsky, all play too similar. What you need is to trade one or two and get a veteran scorer for the seecond line. None of those can shoot the puck and are soft skill guys. It's a no brainer. This team is going nowhere with no secondary goal man. Mojo is the odd man out. Trade Mojo and someone else for a goal scorer. Maybe you have to think about Burakovsky as trade bait and have Kuznetsov as the #2 center. THen you can have a 3rd line of grinders. The team has gotten too young and soft and inexperienced and you're wasting OV's prime. Time to get a veteran if you want to win the cup. It will become apparent soon enough to everyone, might as well pull the trigger now instead of wasting another OV prime year. I don't see a need for Mojo and buy out the injured boy.

Last edited:

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013
If Peters plays well and we get a win against Phoenix Arizona, I can see Trotz keeping Peters in net for a couple more games.

Halpysback*

It seems like guys like MOJO, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Burakovsky, all play too similar. What you need is to trade one or two and get a veteran scorer for the seecond line. None of those can shoot the puck and are soft skill guys. It's a no brainer. This team is going nowhere with no secondary goal man. Mojo is the odd man out. Trade Mojo and someone else for a goal scorer. Maybe you have to think about Burakovsky as trade bait and have Kuznetsov as the #2 center. THen you can have a 3rd line of grinders. The team has gotten too young and soft and inexperienced and you're wasting OV's prime. Time to get a veteran if you want to win the cup.

Kuznetsov has been both a sniper and a playmaker his whole career.

I don't get why both Kuz and Bura are must have as centers. Are we moving Backstrom? If not, you're stuck with a top 6 player playing on your 3rd line for however many years. It's beyond moronic.

Stuck needing a skilled offensive top 6 W after converting the one they had to 3C. It's as if Oates never left. No wait, it's different, we're still losing games due to derp roster management but now no longer getting outshot.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Career potential based on fan expectation is not the same as an on-ice threat recognized around the league. Kuz may or may not be that #2 guy one day. It will probably be a while before we find out, based on how things are going.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
reposting from last gdt:

Ovie - Backstrom - Kuznetzov
Mojo - Burakovsky - Wilson
Chimera - Fehr - Ward
OBrien - Latta - Brouwer

When Laich comes back:

Ovie - Backstrom - Kuznetzov
Mojo - Burakovsky - Wilson
Chimera - Fehr - Ward
Latta - Laich - Brouwer

I assume Latta can play wing. If not, shuffle a bit in the bottom 6. That top 6 is where this is all heading. I know Laich and Brouwer are supposedly the Toxic Twins but it's the 4th line. They'll be playing 8 minutes against the mascot and two mites with the flu.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
Battle of Goalies. This was one of Bishop's better games this season and Holtby was not bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad