GDT: Capitals @ Coyotes - 11/9/2013 8 PM

dcsfanatic

Dec 19, 2006
I just want to see someone high up, whether it be Ted, AO, or GMGM get angry at the way this was lost.....but I know it won't happen.

dcsfanatic

Dec 19, 2006
Some idiot on 980 this morning was praising the Capitals for their SO record over the last 2 years under AO, I should have known that jinx was on.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
When was the last time OV successfully skated between 2 or 3 defenders and made something happen? Perhaps once last season? He is a finisher, the extent of his playmaking ability is getting a quick shot off in traffic. Let others set you up OV, quit trying to carry it in yourself. You can't do it well.

Those last 5 minutes are exactly what we will face come playoffs time. If we are going to do nothing against opposing forechecks but send everything up the boards, this will be another lost season. Easy as pie for opponents to position themselves there and stop any clearing attempt.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
I just want to see someone high up, whether it be Ted, AO, or GMGM get angry at the way this was lost.....but I know it won't happen.

I swear people cannot accept any losses.

If this was a Metropolitan team, sure get mad or a EC team get sorta mad, but its a WC team.

**** happens, move on, do better next time.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Walton, on the radio, was definitely stoking the jinx juju himself. He kept saying, 'Caps now 6 min from 2 points,' 'Caps now 5 min from 2 points,' etc, etc. he shares the jinx blame here.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
I swear people cannot accept any losses.

If this was a Metropolitan team, sure get mad or a EC team get sorta mad, but its a WC team.

**** happens, move on, do better next time.

Yes, but we absolutely gave that one away. I doubt the players are any less disappointed and disgusted than we are. We played a smart, hard game for 50 minutes and then quickly un-did it and gave game away. It's understandable fans would be annoyed.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Just wondering why Gabrovski is getting less ice-time as the season is progressing? Seems to be doing well but ice-time going down, how come?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Last year we had Hendricks, Wolski, and Ribeiro and pretty much never got in shootouts. This year they're all gone and we get nothing but shootouts. Sigh.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Already looking ahead to Colorado. Conserving energy in the 3rd. Watching the clock tick like a schoolboy waiting for the bell to ring.

As usual, the ethic is "what's the least I can do that's still acceptable".

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
i think everyone can agree we would rather have 2.5 mill spent on the D and not backup goalie

There are some here who think he should be the STARTER. :help:

I'm not at all surprised that Nervy contributed to the meltdown. It's how he got that nickname. This team does not need him or his cap hit with what we have in the system, and given our other needs.

He, Green and Laich are top candidates for not giving value for the dollar.

Efactor

Dec 10, 2002
hfboards.mandatory.com
Nervy could have made a save, not given up a rebound, etc. However, I don't think the late PP goal was his fault. He made the save. The D needs to either tie up Doan better or clear the rebound. We didn't lose this game because of the goaltending.

We lost because we don't have killer instinct. The 5 on 3 should have cemented the game and it didn't. The OT powerplay should have won the game and it didn't. Scary part is, when a team plays man-to-man on OV on the PP we look lost.

Same Caps....different day.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Nervy could have made a save, not given up a rebound, etc. However, I don't think the late PP goal was his fault. He made the save. The D needs to either tie up Doan better or clear the rebound. We didn't lose this game because of the goaltending.

We lost because we don't have killer instinct. The 5 on 3 should have cemented the game and it didn't. The OT powerplay should have won the game and it didn't. Scary part is, when a team plays man-to-man on OV on the PP we look lost.

Same Caps....different day.

I agree that there's a lot of blame to go around, but you have to make at least one of those saves. Nervy gave up a HUGE rebound right up the gut on a shot from a wide angle, and then was slow to get back into position to deal with the rebound.

I usually give goaltenders some leeway on rebounds if the first save is tough and the option of controlling the rebound isn't really there. But in this case it was a bad play on his part, and then a bad recovery.

This is important for him because he's (billed as) a "positional" goaltender, and he was scrambling quite a bit in the 3rd period. I noted that he settled down more in the last 2 minutes and got his fundamentals back in line, but part of the reason things get crazy around the net is, in my opinion, he loses his edge mentally and then fears the worst. Then he loses poise, starts scrambling, and what he feared becomes inevitable.

He's also clearly flustered after many of the goals, often throwing his hands in the air and projecting a "DAMMIT! NOT THIS AGAIN!" kind of vibe through body language. And it stays on his mind. Compare that to Holtby who, I believe, squirts that jet of water from his bottle after a goal to "let go" of what just happened.

It doesn't go down like this for Nervy every game, but it happens enough to be concerned. Hence, "Nervy".

And again, before I get called a "hater" by his fans, he's not always like this. It just seems to pop up at some key moments.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I agree that there's a lot of blame to go around, but you have to make at least one of those saves. Nervy gave up a HUGE rebound right up the gut on a shot from a wide angle, and then was slow to get back into position to deal with the rebound.

I usually give goaltenders some leeway on rebounds if the first save is tough and the option of controlling the rebound isn't really there. But in this case it was a bad play on his part, and then a bad recovery.

This is important for him because he's (billed as) a "positional" goaltender, and he was scrambling quite a bit in the 3rd period. I noted that he settled down more in the last 2 minutes and got his fundamentals back in line, but part of the reason things get crazy around the net is, in my opinion, he loses his edge mentally and then fears the worst. Then he loses poise, starts scrambling, and what he feared becomes inevitable.

He's also clearly flustered after many of the goals, often throwing his hands in the air and projecting a "DAMMIT! NOT THIS AGAIN!" kind of vibe through body language. And it stays on his mind. Compare that to Holtby who, I believe, squirts that jet of water from his bottle after a goal to "let go" of what just happened.

It doesn't go down like this for Nervy every game, but it happens enough to be concerned. Hence, "Nervy".

And again, before I get called a "hater" by his fans, he's not always like this. It just seems to pop up at some key moments.

Which is why his salary, plus Erskine's LTIR, should mean an incoming 4m defenseman. But one of those likely candidates, Edmonton, just traded their d- man that fit the bill AND signed a G.

Another in a long list of examples where George couldn't get something done (whatever the reasons, don't give me the "it takes 2 to trade crap" GM hammockers, he always misses, and that the issue). So...

Please Fire George

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Which is why his salary, plus Erskine's LTIR, should mean an incoming 4m defenseman. But one of those likely candidates, Edmonton, just traded their d- man that fit the bill AND signed a G.

Another in a long list of examples where George couldn't get something done (whatever the reasons, don't give me the "it takes 2 to trade crap" GM hammockers, he always misses, and that the issue). So...

Please Fire George

GMGM has had an odd relationship with Edmonton. Some moves and some shady crap (remember the Nylander debacle)? I'm not sure where he stands with them now.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Just finished watching the game in DVR. I said to myself half way threw the 3rd "most complete game by the Caps I've seen in a while". They dictated play for the majority of the game. Then they gave a good team at home life and lost. Very disappointing, but a good learning experience early in the season.

Also, how they respond tonight will say a lot. Come out pissed and take it to the Avs or come out with a "poor me" attitude and get smoked. I expect the former.

And Neuvy is Nervy now? How cute. Some need a scapegoat to ***** I guess. It was a team loss. Simple as that.

Finally, the chronic use of "we" by posters on here when referring to the Caps never gets old for me. Always good for a laugh. Especially after a loss.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
GMGM has had an odd relationship with Edmonton. Some moves and some shady crap (remember the Nylander debacle)? I'm not sure where he stands with them now.

Perhaps Smid going to Calgary can work to his advantage. His good friend Burkie is basically in charge up there. Maybe Smid is there short term.

Doubt it, but one can hope.

Neuvirth and Orlov/Carrick to Calgary for Smid.

Or pay more and try to get Giodano (pipe dream).

Philly is always looking to trade. Leverage Holmgren's lunacy and try to get Coburn, Mezaros, Grossman, or Schenn. If we could get rid of some salary, Timonen in the last year of his deal would be a terrific partner to Green.

Ah, a man can dream.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad