OT: Capitals Cinema Club: TV and Movies

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I would watch Walton Goggins read the phonebook, so I've been working my way through Fallout despite not being a big fan of gore. He's just so effing great.
That actor has had such a great career arc….he came in doing small roles, never seeming particularly charismatic enough to move past being a character actor…and now, he’s managed to find a seam of coolness and very good acting chops….

Reactions: Calicaps

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
Looks like the director for Blade has dropped out again, doesn’t seem like that film will ever come out. Blade was my favorite movie as a kid I would watch it over and over, Mahershala Ali seemed like such a great actor for this role (he seems to not be as popular as he was 5-6 years ago). 5 years ago it was announced and no filming yet, ugh.

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Fall House of Usher - finally finished, good throughout .. maybe 3.75/5?
I've been re-watching all of Mike Flanagan's Netflix shows in order: The Haunting of Hill House, The Haunting of Bly Manor, Midnight Mass, The Midnight Club, and Fall of the House of Usher. I'm only halfway through my re-watch of Usher right now, but most of it is coming back to me.

If you enjoyed Usher, but haven't seen Midnight Mass (2021), I can't recommend it enough. It's easily my favorite of his Netflix shows. For me, it registered as much more thematically/philosophically deeper, coherent, and polished than the rest of the shows. So I wasn't surprised to find out that, of his five shows, it's 1) the only one that is an original story instead of being an adaptation (or a "loosely based on/inspired by Jackson/James/Pike/Poe" project), and 2) it was the show he was the most involved in (he wrote, directed, edited, and produced all seven episodes, and has described it as a very personal passion project regarding his religious upbringing).

My only real knocks against MM are that 1) it really belly-flops the ending. (To be fair, I think all of his shows have pretty bad endings, usually involving heavy-handed monologues that try and fail to tie everything together in a pretty bow.) And 2) I'm sorry, but IMO Kate Segal (Flanagan's wife, who stars in most of his projects) is... awful. Like, usually the worst part of each show. (She's pretty good in her limited role in Usher, though.) Maybe she's just a bad actress, or maybe she just *seems* like a bad actress when she shares the screen with more talented/charismatic people, or maybe her characters are just poorly written--and for some reason get the worst dialogue in each of Flanagan's shows. (Then again, who am I to judge? I'm not an actor!) But, for me, MM's belly-flop ending was largely tied to what I thought was a particularly bad final monologue delivered by Segal (which was a revisiting of a particularly bad monologue she had delivered in a previous episode).

Anyway, my final ranking:

1) Midnight Mass

2) Usher (I'm still finishing my re-watch, but it feels much tighter than most of the earlier stuff)
2) Hill House (A great first show, but good grief that entire final episode is a stinker)

4) Midnight Club (It's fun, despite the awkward structure. But YMMV depending on your tolerance for Young Adult stories/characters/tropes)

The Most Distant 5) Bly Manor (No. NO NO NO. A good first episode and setup, but it was so all over the place. I was not surprised when I read that Flanagan was least involved with this one, having only directed/written one of the nine episodes.)

Last edited:

TheSmokingMan

Nov 20, 2006
Maryland
I've been re-watching all of Mike Flanagan's Netflix shows in order: The Haunting of Hill House, The Haunting of Bly Manor, Midnight Mass, The Midnight Club, and Fall of the House of Usher. I'm only halfway through my re-watch of Usher right now, but most of it is coming back to me.

If you enjoyed Usher, but haven't seen Midnight Mass (2021), I can't recommend it enough. It's easily my favorite of his Netflix shows. For me, it registered as much more thematically/philosophically deeper, coherent, and polished than the rest of the shows. So I wasn't surprised to find out that, of his five shows, it's 1) the only one that is an original story instead of being an adaptation (or a "loosely based on/inspired by Jackson/James/Pike/Poe" project), and 2) it was the show he was the most involved in (he wrote, directed, edited, and produced all seven episodes, and has described it as a very personal passion project regarding his religious upbringing).

My only real knocks against MM are that 1) it really belly-flops the ending. (To be fair, I think all of his shows have pretty bad endings, usually involving heavy-handed monologues that try and fail to tie everything together in a pretty bow.) And 2) I'm sorry, but IMO Kate Segal (Flanagan's wife, who stars in most of his projects) is... awful. Like, usually the worst part of each show. (She's pretty good in her limited role in Usher, though.) Maybe she's just a bad actress, or maybe she just *seems* like a bad actress when she shares the screen with more talented/charismatic people, or maybe her characters are just poorly written--and for some reason get the worst dialogue in each of Flanagan's shows. (Then again, who am I to judge? I'm not an actor!) But, for me, MM's belly-flop ending was largely tied to what I thought was a particularly bad final monologue delivered by Segal (which was a revisiting of a particularly bad monologue she had delivered in a previous episode).

Anyway, my final ranking:

1) Midnight Mass

2) Usher (I'm still finishing my re-watch, but it feels much tighter than most of the earlier stuff)
2) Hill House (A great first show, but good grief that entire final episode is a stinker)

4) Midnight Club (It's fun, despite the awkward structure. But YMMV depending on your tolerance for Young Adult stories/characters/tropes)

The Most Distant 5) Bly Manor (No. NO NO NO. A good first episode and setup, but it was so all over the place. I was not surprised when I read that Flanagan was least involved with this one, having only directed/written one of the nine episodes.)

I'm also a big Mike Flanagan fan. His movies Oculus, Before I Wake, and Doctor Sleep are all worth a watch. I haven't seen Gerald's Game but I hear that's pretty good too.

My favorite show of his remains Hill House, closely followed by Midnight Mass. I also liked Bly Manor more than most people. Midnight Club was so-so with the highlight being Ruth Codd's standout performance. My least favorite was House of Usher. I just couldn't connect with any of the characters. I know they were intentionally awful people, but it still made it difficult for me to enjoy.

He's currently working on a Dark Tower adaptation for Amazon. Netflix passed on the project (and I think they will be sorry they did). Really interested to see what he comes up with there.

Reactions: HeyMattyB

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Looks like the director for Blade has dropped out again, doesn’t seem like that film will ever come out. Blade was my favorite movie as a kid I would watch it over and over, Mahershala Ali seemed like such a great actor for this role (he seems to not be as popular as he was 5-6 years ago). 5 years ago it was announced and no filming yet, ugh.
Right there with you on this. Also the fact that it's probably not going to be rated R is a big red flag.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the upcoming Blade video game at least, although it's still far too early to really know much about it.

Reactions: max21

hb13xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Right there with you on this. Also the fact that it's probably not going to be rated R is a big red flag.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the upcoming Blade video game at least, although it's still far too early to really know much about it.
Didn’t Kit Harrington come out recently and say that there’s no plans for his character in the MCU currently. He was attached to Blade as well. The MCU seems like a huge mess so far after Endgame

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Didn’t Kit Harrington come out recently and say that there’s no plans for his character in the MCU currently. He was attached to Blade as well. The MCU seems like a huge mess so far after Endgame
Everything about Black Knight (Kit Harrington's character) in the MCU is bizarre. He was just randomly shoved into The Eternals, and then his only real connection to Blade is the post-credit scene in that movie. There's not really any connection between Blade or Black Knight in the comics.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
MCU's issue to me is there are actors aging out of characters that fans get attached. Yes Marvel and DC have rebooted their comic 'universes' and I think the multiverse is an attempt at that. However all those alt cameos to me was a mistake and more of a cheap gimmick for the movies. If they had held off of that and had the alt character be the default moving forward I feel would be accepted a bit more. Leave the multiverse characters to the original actors.

Reactions: Calicaps

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
I really enjoyed Tour De France: Unchained - professional cyclists are such a unique breed. Or maybe they are like ultra-marathon runners on bikes. The pain and suffering they put themselves through is mind boggling.

Also watched "The Armstrong Lie" about Lance Armstrong. I could almost feel like he was unfairly singled out for doping when almost EVERY other cyclist during those years was doing exactly the same thing. But then you see him lying almost every single time he opens his mouth, and the way he used the "cancer survivor" angle and threatened people with lawsuits and discreded other riders etc (including former teammates and people who were supposed to have been his friends) in order to maintain the lie - and it's really not possible (for me) to feel bad for him.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Fallout - through Ep 3 .... its not hitting for me but wife likes it enough.

Ironclaw - man .. Zac Efron looks weird. Movie was was really well acted, Efron was great, first hour was great then it kinda fizzled and trailed off last hour imo.

-----------

Midnight Mass - will def check it out, we really like House of Usher. Thanks man

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Ironclaw - man .. Zac Efron looks weird. Movie was was really well acted, Efron was great, first hour was great then it kinda fizzled and trailed off last hour imo.

-----------

Midnight Mass - will def check it out, we really like House of Usher. Thanks man
Fallout is a slower burn but it definitely gets interesting. It did for me, at least.

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018

-----------

Zac Efron destroyed his jaw in a fall about a decade ago and something weird happened during the healing process that caused the bones to grow and made him look like a totally different person.

62428303-0-image-a-13_1663216536140.jpg

I feel bad for the guy, looking up the details on his wikipedia page he's been through a lot.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Zac Efron destroyed his jaw in a fall about a decade ago and something weird happened during the healing process that caused the bones to grow and made him look like a totally different person.

62428303-0-image-a-13_1663216536140.jpg

I feel bad for the guy, looking up the details on his wikipedia page he's been through a lot.
Was it a motorcycle accident or something? But yeah its just a bit more squared off.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Shoresy - does anyone else just start talking like Shoresy after they watch a few episodes? I know I do .. I just try his one liner comments. Wife and I binged S3 saturday while doing house chores and she started talking like him to.

S3 was really good

Dune 2 - i liked it, liked it more than dune 1. Wouldnt watch it again but it was a good big screen, volume on sound bar type home movie experience

Reactions: Jags

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Shoresy - does anyone else just start talking like Shoresy after they watch a few episodes? I know I do .. I just try his one liner comments. Wife and I binged S3 saturday while doing house chores and she started talking like him to.

S3 was really good

Dune 2 - i liked it, liked it more than dune 1. Wouldnt watch it again but it was a good big screen, volume on sound bar type home movie experience
Holds up on rewatch….IMO.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
The Hitman - me and the wife finally had energy to watch a movie, kids asleep .. we were super pumped then we watched this over hyped dud of a movie. Had potential, all the ingredients but never got good.

Having trouble harmonizing all the good reviews and what we thought of it.

Does Netflix influence reviewers?

This review is on the same page as me .. how did it get rave reviews?

Reactions: PlushMinus

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
The Hitman - me and the wife finally had energy to watch a movie, kids asleep .. we were super pumped then we watched this over hyped dud of a movie. Had potential, all the ingredients but never got good.

$$$$ paid to 'reviewers' and 'influencers'. i mostly watch new shows after word of mouth

Reactions: Neil Racki

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Quirky main character made it hard to like, but it grew on me into something I felt entertained by at the end….

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
HOTD has been great, slower last 2 episodes but this next one should be a banger. I love the acting done by Aegon (idk his name) but he's been the best part of the show so far. He's Joffrey esque but humble at the same time

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish

Journeys End (2018) - (3.5/5 rating from me whatever the f*** that means) WW1 movie .. was hoping for a big screen WW type movie and almost re-watched 1917 but wanted something new. Writing, character stories were great but it mostly took place in a bunker. I came away thinking itd make a great book or play.

It was a play from 90 years ago .. which explains things. I dont think you saw a single person actually killed on screen.

Better Call Saul - finally finally finished it. Last episode was great, great send off, great ending ..

Reactions: max21

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad