Capitals buying CapFriendly, Site to be shutdown (RIP, Site gone)

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Apart from the fans and media that used caofriendly cap info from the site,apparently all the NHL also used it.

That the Caps bought it for their own exclusive ,does nothing to hide contract information from the other clubs.. That is availbe to them by the NHL...still their was some proprietary A I. Used by the program saves time in organizing the data in real daily tracking that the Caps found easier to just buy and maybe re-purpise for other jobs than to build sich an A.I. on their own..

I cannot see much competitive advantage regarding the cao and salary info that Caps gain from this by shutting it off from other teams...
but maybe by re-purposing that A .I. to other
tasks they see itcas more eficient to buy whole rather than try re-inventing the wheel...There coukd bea short-term advantage on just the cap and salary aspects till other teams build their own databases to handle all teams" info given to them by the NHL and convert it to daily tracking and where tean arewith their cap compliance..If teams do this for their own cap situation ,they just need to expand their spread sheet programs to incorporate the data given them by the NHL.

They should have all that figured out
Before next season ...and since the site will not close tilladter the draftandcfrre agency period is mostly done with,there is not going vo be any advantage the Caps get for draft or free agency use this summer.

9bviously many teams who got a freebie with cap friendly now have to either buildvorcre-jig their own info systems to re-orhankze the co tract data the NHL gives them into useable aggregate and individual data repositories..
However whatever else the Caps use that A.I. for, may give them advantages over other teams with something not involving cap or salaries...

Not sure what that could be ..but clearly the Caps see sone advantage coming from it.

Reactions: hockeydoug

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Caps found easier to just buy and maybe re-purpise for other jobs
I completely agree with this.

Can't imagine it has much to do with hockey. MSE runs arenas and other sports franchises.

With so many different sales teams at so many sports and venues, it makes sense they would want to be able to set a system with fewer and fewer staff. Timing sales, when taking a loss at a truck rally makes sense, book the concert instead of the wizards, etc. Could be thousands of non hockey applications that this buy would make sense for.

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
3.1.png
3.1..jpg

Why did teams ever use capgeek and capfriendly?

Teams should have had their own personal "cap" website 20 years ago. They should never have relied on a common website for this kind of information. What if the site ever crashed of got hacked? Or if someone ever bought it and shut it down to the rest of the public...

I guess there was no forward thinking on this matter. Just got stuck in the Windows 3.1 era.

Any 21 year old that passed their college level website design course could whip up a site in no time. Now more than half the league is caught with their pants down.

I honestly thought capgeek/capfriendly was just for us fans. I didn't think NHL teams actually used it. I thought they would have their own website for this kind of thing.

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
Why did teams ever use capgeek and capfriendly?
saving on costs i imagine. 20 years ago this kind of thing wasn't on the forefront of the hockeymen's minds. it's become a big deal in the mean time, and it seldom occurs to an ossified business reptile to spend money to have work done when they can just as easily profit from the work someone else has already done.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
What kind of lame horsesh$$ is Friedman putting out?

I'm pretty sure Philadelphia, or even Ottawa could slap a fistfull of 20s to give to some kid to build a functional spreadsheet.

The recent success of the bulk of those teams that "have something" speaks for itself.

Friedman should go back to the green, turn his phone off, grab his putter and then pull his pants up before getting back to the golf cart.

• Haha
Reactions: ChiHawks10

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
All he apparently did was list teams that have their own system up in running. You're reading between the lines of there's something objectionable there, with the caveat that I'm going off what the tweet said and I can't say one way or the other if he said more in the mentioned podcast.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
What? How is this negative. It’s a list of teams that created their own system in house. If your team isn’t on the list it’s embarrassing. It’s a good thing we’re on it, the other 20 or whatever clubs are having to put a guy or two on this right now with a July 5th deadline.

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
What? How is this negative. It’s a list of teams that created their own system in house. If your team isn’t on the list it’s embarrassing. It’s a good thing we’re on it, the other 20 or whatever clubs are having to put a guy or two on this right now with a July 5th deadline.

Oilers cap sheet come July 6th.

oilers.jpg

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
All he apparently did was list teams that have their own system up in running. You're reading between the lines of there's something objectionable there, with the caveat that I'm going off what the tweet said and I can't say one way or the other if he said more in the mentioned podcast.
The word "build" implies that the rest of the league is some of deficient or that capfriendly is somehow more important than it is to NHL franchises.

It doesn't matter if franchises saved a few bucks by using their interface. Tracking 32 x 50 contracts (at most) and 7 x 32 x 4yrs for picks. It's nothing to make a functioning tracking system, even for the cheap franchises.

It's fan buzz nonsense, and Friedman has been reporting on this thing like a fan, not a journalist, in my opinion.

• Haha
Reactions: ChiHawks10

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
My mind is honestly blown right now. Here I was thinking that all NHL front offices already had a database with all of this information. These are 9-figure organizations in a hard salary capped sport's league, they seriously don't have a league-wide database that provides them cap info about teams and players???

That's f***ing out of this world.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
And I don't even think we are that forward thinking here in Chicago. There was a screenshot from one of the "On the Clock" videos that showed people using a Lotus Notes database for prospects. That's ancient.
Hey I like Lotus. Its survived this long for a reason. But yeah, it certainly isn't cutting edge, but I don't think databases need to be.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
And I don't even think we are that forward thinking here in Chicago. There was a screenshot from one of the "On the Clock" videos that showed people using a Lotus Notes database for prospects. That's ancient.
When they hired that guy from the cubs who left to be the Tigers GM, he was focused on designing databases and stats like baseball uses. Idk if they use that

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Man I can’t wait to get this CS degree. I’ll make a cap friendly site for the Hawks and be a millionaire

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Podcast
32 Thoughts: The Podcast

The sources are old hockey guys who have no idea what's going on "oh no" and "they don't have that" and NHL offices aren't going to go belly up because they're month to month subscription to an outside service is going away.

The overreaction is funny.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
My question is… how does the league check that contract signings and trades are cap compliant?? How do teams do it if they don’t have this site.

lol I’m still floored by this. My impression was they have like sophisticated bespoke programs worth millions of dollars, the reality is what… Rainman locked in the NHL broom closet?

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
My question is… how does the league check that contract signings and trades are cap compliant?? How do teams do it if they don’t have this site.

lol I’m still floored by this. My impression was they have like sophisticated bespoke programs worth millions of dollars, the reality is what… Rainman locked in the NHL broom closet?

I think it is a very unsophisticated program. As I said in another thread, the NHL would love for fans to not even be aware of the salary cap. They want a hard cap that’s somehow invisible to normal people

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
I think it is a very unsophisticated program. As I said in another thread, the NHL would love for fans to not even be aware of the salary cap. They want a hard cap that’s somehow invisible to normal people
The only thing the NHL cares about is somebody taking part of their product and reselling it imo.
If they cared about contract info getting out, they would have put guardrails up on leaks before the last lockout.

Reactions: MTU34

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad