Capitals buying CapFriendly, Site to be shutdown (RIP, Site gone)

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

f*** off Caps

NHL teams that had agreements to use their tools/Application Programming Interface (API) recently received notice that these contracts would be terminated. This led to speculation that one club was buying the site, and all information pointed to the Capitals.

You can definitely see why a team would want this infrastructure. After the transaction officially closes, the website will go dark.

RIP CapFriendly

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
Absolute crap move by the Caps organization.

But at least by the time we need to worry about the cap, there will be another site that pops up and fills that need. Sucks for fans of cap ceiling teams trying to make sense of their cap situation.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Why would they do this? Capfriendly has been a great site, for the fans, makes no sense why Capitals or any team would want it shutdown?

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
I'm sure another site will pop up.

What was the site that everyone used before Capfriendly? I forget the name.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
Now is our time to make a new "Cap" site.

We'll call it CapNastics.

We can build it up, make it super popular than sell it to the highest bidder in 5 years.

I love Capitalism!

Cubs2024wildcard

Hung out with Livvy Dunne. You didnt.
Apr 29, 2015
Ahead of the curve.

Blackhawks should have thought about doing this year's ago. Smart move

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Not now JFields, I use this website daily, it was a great replacement for capgeek, whose owner passed away. Hopefully another tool comes in its place.

Cubs2024wildcard

Hung out with Livvy Dunne. You didnt.
Apr 29, 2015
Not now JFields, I use this website daily, it was a great replacement for capgeek, whose owner passed away. Hopefully another tool comes in its place.
I'm positive there will be numerous cap sites up and running before that site goes 404.

Still, you cannot fault the Caps for this.

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
Didn’t they recently start a basketball offshoot too? Leonsis buying that for the Wizards?

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
It’s kind of embarassing to need to buy that site. Caps, its an excel spreadsheet with hyperlinks to elite prospects stats. You really have to buy it to build that?

Hawks have a whole department of Wharton data scientists and economists… this is like… half a persons job.

Reactions: Pez68

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
It’s kind of embarassing to need to buy that site. Caps, its an excel spreadsheet with hyperlinks to elite prospects stats. You really have to buy it to build that?

Hawks have a whole department of Wharton data scientists and economists… this is like… half a persons job.

Lol I’m pissed as well but can’t wait to read the main boards going through the grief cycle here over such a critical resource for this site

Pretty sure this is shock and denial we’re witnessing 😂

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Public analytics are not ahead of private NHL analytics. Not sure what that guy is talking about. CapFriendly on the other hand? Extremely good product and it makes sense for them to buy it.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
This is honestly hilarious.... They have to buy a site that was basically just someone else's hobby, because they can't create something like this internally? lol

Reactions: Fortyfives

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad