Confirmed with Link: Capitals and Vrana agree to PTO

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I see this as more of a solid for an old friend trying to fix his life. If he plays hard maybe he makes the team. Or maybe he gets some preseason teams and we can get him on somebody else’s roster.

Also I never want to hear how we lost that trade ever again.
This….

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I mean caps aren’t in the charity business (well maybe outside of the ice), but they do have a culture of taking care of their own.

This is about two things:
1. Foremost, creating competition in camp. Competition is good. It raises everyone’s game. And it costs us nothing
2. Doing a solid for someone Caps know and respect. But again, costs us nothing.

It is just another calculated gamble, which i love about GMBM. If it doesn’t work, costs nothing. If it works out and he is a good 3LW (with 2LW upside) because he finds hockey religion and can contribute, then it is a big win.

If i had to bet on it, Varna won’t be here in October.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Right. All of this above from everyone.

IF he somehow makes the team, it’s either because serious injury to someone, or he takes someone else’s sweater.

Either of which, means we should be happy to have that option were it to come to pass.

Go #13! (Great number!)

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I really don't like the both revisionist history and the seeming distasteful glee people seem to have around Vrana here. At the absolute worst, Vrana had "personality" issues here that seemingly amounted too he didn't like riding the bench. To act like he was some drug addict tanking the team is ridiculous. This isn't a guy like Kuznetsov who was off doing blow, this wasn't Mike Ribero who was constantly drunk and supposedly showing up to games drunk, Vrana supposedly got addicted to pain killers long after he'd left here, after taking them for legitimate reasons, and after getting injured playing. That can literally happen to anyone.

Just rubs me the wrong way.
Agreed. I loved Jake when he was here and he seemingly was a fan favorite so I don’t get why people are down on this. I’m very pumped to have him back. At his best, Vrana is exactly what they need — an explosive skater who can create offense by himself and score goals in bunches. I’m all about the redemption story, pulling for him big time (though I don’t expect much, tbh).

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Agreed. I loved Jake when he was here and he seemingly was a fan favorite so I don’t get why people are down on this. I’m very pumped to have him back. At his best, Vrana is exactly what they need — an explosive skater who can create offense by himself and score goals in bunches. I’m all about the redemption story, pulling for him big time (though I don’t expect much, tbh).
I remember when the Caps drafted him and the thing they said that stood out was his goal scoring ability. Sure his 2way game never fully developed and never really will but goal scoring is hard.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
So long as it's primarily a meritocracy, I'm fine with it. It'd sure be nice if that pick finally panned out, regardless of the story attached to it.

Merit can't be the only consideration though. If he's going to "block one of the kids" then the contract has to have real value for us. Let's say he ends up being like 8% better than a prospect in camp. I don't want him on what'll amount to a 1-year rental deal in lieu of developing a pick if the difference is marginal.

But if he's really got the magic back, looking like he did when he (briefly) erupted in Detroit, then yeah, do the rental deal for a deadline flip. Or, if he really seems to have his shit together over those 6 months and is still balling out, talk to him about an extension.

Lastly, by "kid" I mean a key prospect with a bunch of cost-controlled years ahead. If Vrana beats Frank out and Frank can't take a spot from Milano or Raddysh or whoever, then that's that.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Vrana hasn't had a "successful" season in years

Wish him the best and maybe he strikes gold and has a great showing in camp, lord knows he'll have the motivation

but duder hasn't hit 20g since 2019-20 with WSH (tho he was on pace in 2020-21)

otoh he's 28 and has low NHL mileage on his body, so who tf knows; hasn't played more than 26GP since 2020-21 (50GP)

conversely... beats the shit out of me ;)
my .000002

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Pretty crazy that his last full season here was his last season that is even remotely close to actually playing a full season (played 69 games in 19-20)….23 yr old peak strikes again….

Reactions: VaCaps Fan and um

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
Vrana hasn't had a "successful" season in years

Wish him the best and maybe he strikes gold and has a great showing in camp, lord knows he'll have the motivation

but duder hasn't hit 20g since 2019-20 with WSH (tho he was on pace in 2020-21)

otoh he's 28 and has low NHL mileage on his body, so who tf knows; hasn't played more than 26GP since 2020-21 (50GP)

conversely... beats the shit out of me ;)
my .000002
There was obviously stuff going on that kept him off the ice or in the AHL for "conditioning", but everything considered he sure looks like he can still be an asset.

Since he was here last time he went 34-18-52 in 83 NHL games. He also went 22-25-47 in 59 games in the AHL during that period, between 2 teams.

Last year wasn't his best... He shot 4.8% in 21 games in St Louis. Way below his average, and his ice time was reduced. Maybe he just had a short leash on a team trying not to miss the playoffs again (even though they did). But he ate in the AHL with 36 points in 42 games.

We're basically free rolling on him in terms of contract and we have up nothing for the opportunity. Pretty savvy if you ask me

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
We're basically free rolling on him in terms of contract and we have up nothing for the opportunity. Pretty savvy if you ask me
Yep. We know, better than most, the risks here. So there must be something that persuaded them that it was still worth giving him a (cost-free) look

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Also get out of here with that "Milano is the better defensive player..." bullshit. Not a soul would sign that dude for his defense and he's been scratched multiple times last season.

Always amusing when the fans tryna pump the tires of their players even when they suck.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
It's kinda sad to see. This is a player that had the talent where he should be gunning for a $20M contract at this stage of his career.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
It is sad, but there IS a redemption story there to be had, but he has to come in, fantastic shape and work ethic to make it happen….
Yes… this! ^^^.

It is up to the player. And same goes for everyone fighting for a spot including Frank, Sutter, Iorio, etc. The players who separate themselves will earn the spots (and time).

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
He loves the organization. I am recovering from substance abuse myself.
There is lots of nasty shit out there. And it hooks good people who don’t deserve it but can’t recover. I was close as well when i herniated a disc in back when i grounded a golf club. I was lucky and able to heal without getting addicted but quitting cold turkey was a bitch!

Good on you VaCaps for fighting the fight. Stay strong! It’s hard but better than the alternative!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad