Confirmed with Link: Capitals and Vrana agree to PTO

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
My work ass thinks PTO is paid time off so in NHL terms what is this PTO terminology

Professional tryout (PTO) deals This is the most unique contract in the NHL. A professional tryout contract can be handed to any "unsigned veteran player" or free agent that is looking for a new home. They are limited to 25 games, which means most of these are signed during training camps for pre-season matchups.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Meh. Milano is probably better at this point. For all of Vrana's speed it's not like he's much of a forechecker or backchecker. But he joins the mix, gets to compete, gets to put his tape out there. Maybe he decides to join Hershey for some stability to bide his time in the event of injuries. That'd be my guess.

If Oshie is healthy then Milano's spot could be in doubt I guess. Could perhaps see Sonny dealt and Vrana signed on the cheap if they need to cut down.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Would be great feelgood-story if he revived his career here. And a ”prime” version of Vrana could actually be very good add to the roster too. Hope he gets there!!!!

That being said, these things rarely work out. He comes back from battling with his demons, miles behind guys like Milano and Raddysh and all the Hershey guys that he needs to outplay by a margin to gain any trust. Only thing working for him to get started is that he has a lot of friends in- and outiside the room.

qc14

Jul 1, 2024
I think it's a nice thing to do for a former player who has had a rough couple of years.

That being said, I really cannot think of a scenario in which he makes the team. Lappy, McMichael, and Milano are all better NHL options. Even for that 13th forward/1st callup spot Frank and Dube have outproduced him in the AHL while being younger and ... let's just say a bit more attentive to the defensive aspect of the game. Even for a two-way/AHL deal I think (but could be wrong) that Hershey are out of veteran contract slots.

Obviously none of us know how "the room" feels but it seems to me like more of an unnecessary distraction with very little upside

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Absolute zero chance Milano is "a better NHL option" than Vrana.
Jake can have all the substance issues on the pharmacological dictionary but he was scoring for the Wings and Blues early at a pace Milano never sniffed in his career and Milano is basically is a waste of space if he's not scoring.

Between them, you take Vrana if you need speed, you take Vrana if you need shooting, and you take Vrana if you need bigger potential return for a league minimum. He's better as a top-9 option and he's better as a depth signing.

I've sent a fair share of criticism his way back in the day but dude always had talent an this team needs talent at the wing position.

qc14

Jul 1, 2024
Absolute zero chance Milano is "a better NHL option" than Vrana.
Jake can have all the substance issues on the pharmacological dictionary but he was scoring for the Wings and Blues early at a pace Milano never sniffed in his career and Milano is basically is a waste of space if he's not scoring.

Between them, you take Vrana if you need speed, you take Vrana if you need shooting, and you take Vrana if you need bigger potential return for a league minimum. He's better as a top-9 option and he's better as a depth signing.

I've sent a fair share of criticism his way back in the day but dude always had talent an this team needs talent at the wing position.
Even taking your premise at face value (Vrana had 6 points in 21 NHL games last year) Milano is an underrated defensive player and Vrana may be one of the worst defensive wingers in the entire league. There's a reason basically every coach he's played under since juniors in Czechia have benched him at some point!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad