CapFriendly Replacements

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
Can someone explain to me what happened? The Capitals bought the website but then shut it down? Why? Couldn’t they just let it run but be its owners? Are they replacing it with a competitor? Was there proprietary code running in the backend that was valuable and the Caps took it for their internal stuff? The employees were valuable?

I just don’t see the point of them buying it to shut it down. It’s not like it was a competitor.

Reactions: RestlessYoungZero

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Can someone explain to me what happened? The Capitals bought the website but then shut it down? Why? Couldn’t they just let it run but be its owners? Are they replacing it with a competitor? Was there proprietary code running in the backend that was valuable and the Caps took it for their internal stuff? The employees were valuable?

I just don’t see the point of them buying it to shut it down. It’s not like it was a competitor.
Bought for backend analytics and to have the site creators on staff to maintain and improve those systems

Reactions: wraithsonwings

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
The GM was interviewed by Seravalli on his podcast and directly addressed the reasons. The Caps had their own cap management tools but found that their staff were referring to CapFriendly quite frequently. They started asking themselves what would happen if that access suddenly went away, as there have been teams sniffing around CF for some time. They started to explore ways to bring in-house those same capabilities, primarily in terms of a user-friendly interface that their existing in-house tools lacked. The data was there but the ability to rapidly reference this stuff like you could on CF was lacking with their in-house tools. The interface is what made CF so useful, plus the additional value-added features.

Those conversations about building a site for internal use ended up involving talks with the folks at CF about how they do things and their processes, and eventually one of the ideas that arose was perhaps to buy CF entirely rather than pay someone to build a new site from scratch. So those talks matured and they ended up deciding to buy the site and hire the three main staff at CF to become Caps employees. Those three will not only maintain the existing site for employees' use on their Intranet, but expand the granularity of the site, integrating the data the Caps can access that the league maintains (but aren't publicly available).

It wasn't so much wanting to put other teams in a bind, as wanting to avoid being that party that ends up in a bind if CF disappeared overnight. It didn't end up looking any cheaper to build a fresh site and interface from scratch than to buy CF outright, so they did that and brought the CF team into the fold to run it.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012

Capitals hate hockey fans.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
My friend and I are working on one that's quite similar except the difference is that it's going to be like HFBoards and Capfriendly combined with a hockey pool option. It's going to be good for proposals as that'll be a side bonus to the site and a side for rumours so it'll decrease the toxicity and saltiness for overpayment. It's also going to have a lot more amazing things that will make it safe and friendly.

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
My friend and I are also working on one that combines ALL the things. It focuses mainly on displaying all the stats that clearly indicate that Travis Hamonic is the best player in the league, and has been for years.

Pie charts only.

We figure it’s going to revolutionalize not only hockey stats, but also how we each see the world, and our place in it.

Just pie charts, mostly.

D1az

Oct 29, 2009
Finland
I just love the hockey community. Immediately a lot of good options available.

I was even myself considering starting to build something basic which I could have used and shared, but clearly no reasons to use time and resources on that as there already are a lot of better options available.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
The GM was interviewed by Seravalli on his podcast and directly addressed the reasons. The Caps had their own cap management tools but found that their staff were referring to CapFriendly quite frequently. They started asking themselves what would happen if that access suddenly went away, as there have been teams sniffing around CF for some time. They started to explore ways to bring in-house those same capabilities, primarily in terms of a user-friendly interface that their existing in-house tools lacked. The data was there but the ability to rapidly reference this stuff like you could on CF was lacking with their in-house tools. The interface is what made CF so useful, plus the additional value-added features.

Those conversations about building a site for internal use ended up involving talks with the folks at CF about how they do things and their processes, and eventually one of the ideas that arose was perhaps to buy CF entirely rather than pay someone to build a new site from scratch. So those talks matured and they ended up deciding to buy the site and hire the three main staff at CF to become Caps employees. Those three will not only maintain the existing site for employees' use on their Intranet, but expand the granularity of the site, integrating the data the Caps can access that the league maintains (but aren't publicly available).

It wasn't so much wanting to put other teams in a bind, as wanting to avoid being that party that ends up in a bind if CF disappeared overnight. It didn't end up looking any cheaper to build a fresh site and interface from scratch than to buy CF outright, so they did that and brought the CF team into the fold to run it.

Good summary. Just to add to that, it was mentioned somewhere that since the Capitals are part of the NHL and the league doesn't like this information public, they also had to shut down the site.

So I mostly blame the NHL first for being so backwards thinking and the Caps second for being the team that bought CapFriendly instead of just doing their own thing internally for the same cost.

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
Cap Space is very similar to this and CF, although more bare bones than CF.
What I liked about CF was that it was so much more than just salary cap information. It was the most comprehensive of the sites on the internet. Other sites are very good with salary cap info, but just not as comprehensive.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
My friend and I are working on one that's quite similar except the difference is that it's going to be like HFBoards and Capfriendly combined with a hockey pool option. It's going to be good for proposals as that'll be a side bonus to the site and a side for rumours so it'll decrease the toxicity and saltiness for overpayment. It's also going to have a lot more amazing things that will make it safe and friendly.
Cool. I’m working on a replacement for Google and Facebook. Keep us posted on your progress. :)

Feb 5, 2016
PuckPedia will not establish itself as the new CapFriendly with that UI. The data, all of it, need to be in table form.
Puckpedia seems to be more geared towards PC users as the Pedia site for mobile is very difficult to look at with a lot of scrolling involved even when zoomed out on mobile.

Reactions: Morrison

BigTomBomber

Nov 17, 2017
Capwages isnt correct, at least for Dallas. Doesnt include the buyout $ or the bonus overages from last year in the current cap calculation

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Capwages isnt correct, at least for Dallas. Doesnt include the buyout $ or the bonus overages from last year in the current cap calculation

I joined the Capwages Discord and it's still very incomplete and will take some time to get fully up and running. Like GM mode won't be complete for quite awhile.

Reactions: Morrison

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad