Seravalli: Canucks will make a strong play for Guentzel and might present best mix of money and opportunity. Toronto, Washington, NYR, Florida also interested.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Canucks should absolutely use up a 4th or 5th rounder and trade for his rights so they can offer him the 8th year.

9mil AAV x 7
vs
8mil AAV x 8

Could be the difference whether or not they get Zadorov or Joshua back.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Canucks should absolutely use up a 4th or 5th rounder and trade for his rights so they can offer him the 8th year.

9mil AAV x 7
vs
8mil AAV x 8

Can’t offer 8 years without a sign and trade. Trading for rights just gives you a head start on FA negotiations

Last edited:

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022

9mil AAV x 7
vs
8mil AAV x 8

Only way to get 8 is a sign and trade. That would cost more but makes sense.

According to reports the teams hope is to keep Zadorov, Myers Hronek and sign Jake. Which likely costs around 23-25 million, leaving around 6-7 million assuming Mikheyev is gone. Unless Joshua comes in at under 3 I hope they don't retain him.
He's getting so overrated here, he's never going to shoot over 20% again.
I'd much rather use what's left on a guy like Toffolli or Chandler Stevenson to shore up the 3c spot for half of what Lindholm likely gets.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

9mil AAV x 7
vs
8mil AAV x 8

Considering Hronek just re-signed with Vancouver for $7.25 million a year on an 8 year deal, I really struggle to see why Guentzel would take $8 million on an 8 year deal.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
If the rangers can free up cap space, I think Guenztel would love to go there

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
with backstrom on the IR and possible oshie on IR (he is still deciding if he is done) thats 15 million available. now does washington want to use half of that on him?

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
If the Leafs managed to trade Marner for a dman / goalie and then replace Marner with Guentzel that would be a nice piece of business.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
It's too bad the Oilers can't afford to add Guentzel. That would be interesting for the league

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
So Darren says Leafs would rather sign Marner but Seravelli says if we trade Marner we’d be interested in Guentzel… like who is feeding him the Guentzel stuff? Which one is it a trade or a 8 year extension?

stephenball

Jan 7, 2018
If he would sign with the Caps he’d be a lock for 80 goals, at least that’s how his goal scoring rate has seemed to be historically while sharing the ice with the Capitals.

• Haha
Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Maybe I'm being overly optimistic but Vancouver feels like the front runner. Rumour is VAN was the team he most wanted to go to at the TDL.

Van was willing to go 7x7 for Lindholm but I think the reason they didn't want to go higher (and get it done) is partly cause they wanted a shot at Guentzel, no doubt they'll go to the 9's for him.

If they can get it done & keep it with a single digit AAV.. that would be a phenomenal addition. Make the Canucks much more dangerous. We'll see.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Again, Guentzel has his cup already and has been on a contending team his entire career. I see no reason to think he'd leave a notable amount of money on the table just to sign with a contender.

Even taking out the Nylander example, Huberdeau signed for $10.5 million and Gaudreau signed for $9.75 million on long-term deals during the COVID years. I'm really not seeing much of a justification for Guentzel going lower than that.
And do either of them seem like hockey is fun for them these days?

Zarzh

Jun 30, 2015
Not sure what your argument here is.
Well it's quite simple. You don't want to pay your 4th best forward major money if you're contending.

Paying 9 million for a small, not that young, winger who only really scores is a mistake, it is one you can technically overcome with strong cap structure in a short window.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Well it's quite simple. You don't want to pay your 4th best forward major money if you're contending.

Paying 9 million for a small, not that young, winger who only really scores is a mistake, it is one you can technically overcome with strong cap structure in a short window.

Guentzel is one of the best 5v5 drivers in the game. I can think of maybe 3 teams where he’d be the 3rd best forward let alone 4th.

Reactions: Canucks LB

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Maybe I'm being overly optimistic but Vancouver feels like the front runner. Rumour is VAN was the team he most wanted to go to at the TDL.

Van was willing to go 7x7 for Lindholm but I think the reason they didn't want to go higher (and get it done) is partly cause they wanted a shot at Guentzel, no doubt they'll go to the 9's for him.

If they can get it done & keep it with a single digit AAV.. that would be a phenomenal addition. Make the Canucks much more dangerous. We'll see.
jOFDX8V.jpeg

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
with backstrom on the IR and possible oshie on IR (he is still deciding if he is done) thats 15 million available. now does washington want to use half of that on him?

I wouldn't be shocked. They can fit him under the cap for next season, even easily. The year after that they have basically nobody signed yet, and as of now no new massive contracts coming up. Their cap situation is mostly blank in few years so if they decide Guentzel is their big addition this summer, they could easily fit him.

Do i see Guentzel coming here? Hell no.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008

All jake does is produce in both regular season AND playoffs, he is worth every penny

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad