GDT: Canucks Training Camp Thread | FINISHED

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Was a little surprised at PDG before Bains. Intrigued by the lines and how they shape the bottom 6

Last edited:

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
I pretty much agree with a lot of the comments about Bains. Right now he's a classic NHL/AHL tweener. The skill, the size and the skating all there. However, the NHL game is just too fast for him to process at the moment.
This is almost the precise opposite of reality. Bains' mind is his best asset. He gets in trouble because he doesn't quite have the skill (passing aside), strength and skating and therefore is sometimes forced to choose from a palate of not very good options.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
cool beans.

very surprised to see bains make this cut over pdg. it shows you what i know. my best rationalizing is he is waivers exempt so is a stand in for suter. they eventually want to carry 13 forwards and are trying to get pdg through early.

ever so slightly curious about suter. obvious easy inference is he got dinged last night but overall he has played a lot this preseason and not that well. they are carrying six centres when he is healthy.

This is almost the precise opposite of reality. Bains' mind is his best asset. He gets in trouble because he doesn't quite have the skill (passing aside), strength and skating and therefore is sometimes forced to choose from a palate of not very good options.
i agree with this. he has a top 6 brain and bottom 6 skills.

Reactions: Peen

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
i can't believe people think this team is strong at forward looking at debrusk as probably the second best winger and heinen and sprong both in the top six

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.
Remember this line up doesn't have Joshua or Suter in it so Bains and Aman aren't regulars. But Raty should be in before either.

DeBrusk - Pettersson - Sprong/Hoglander
Heinen - Miller - Boeser
Joshua - Blueger - Garland
Sherwood - Suter - Hoglander/Sprong
(Raty)

That is what it should be...

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
The real question I have up front right now is who's been killing penalties in practice. That's the only real reason Aman could see play over Raty imo, otherwise Raty has outclassed him in every way at camp.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
The real question I have up front right now is who's been killing penalties in practice. That's the only real reason Aman could see play over Raty imo, otherwise Raty has outclassed him in every way at camp.

Which is interesting because Tocchet specifically praised Raty's ability to win face-offs on the PK and that alone has killed a bunch of time.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
The team has great forward depth.

It doesn't matter if Heinen/Sprong are in the top 6 if Garland/Joshua are "on the third line" and producing like top 6 players.
Yeah as long as the Garland-Joshua are still a great 3rd line and DeBrusk fits into the top 6, I don't think the forward group is bad at all.

Much more concerned about the blueline after the top pair.

Lat

Oct 12, 2005
Yeah as long as the Garland-Joshua are still a great 3rd line and DeBrusk fits into the top 6, I don't think the forward group is bad at all.

Much more concerned about the blueline after the top pair.
I'm actually only really concerned about 3rd pairing LD (Forbort). Generally happy with the rest of the top 6D and even Friedman/Wolanin as 7/8D. Juulsen I think should be 9D.

Reactions: Nucker101

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
i can't believe people think this team is strong at forward looking at debrusk as probably the second best winger and heinen and sprong both in the top six

Garland is the second best winger and the rare type who is capable of driving a line. The team has 2 star centers, a top line wing, another 2 top 6 wings, and strong bottom 6 depth. The only thing they really lack is one more true skilled top 6 winger/PP option, but every team is lacking something in the cap era. As long as Pettersson isn’t the Pettersson from February onward, it’s a top 10 forward group.

Reactions: MS

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I'm actually only really concerned about 3rd pairing LD (Forbort). Generally happy with the rest of the top 6D and even Friedman/Wolanin as 7/8D. Juulsen I think should be 9D.

This what I've been saying since after July 1st. The 2nd/3rd LD spot is the weakest part of the entire team. It seems like Forbort was signed as defensive depth now rather than acquire someone later in the season and use that asset in part of a package for a more substantial solution.

I've been staring at Vlad Gavrikov pretty hard...well for the last several seasons.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Garland is the second best winger and the rare type who is capable of driving a line. The team has 2 star centers, a top line wing, another 2 top 6 wings, and strong bottom 6 depth. The only thing they really lack is one more true skilled top 6 winger/PP option, but every team is lacking something in the cap era. As long as Pettersson isn’t the Pettersson from February onward, it’s a top 10 forward group.

i like garland okay and he's probably a decent top six winger but unless he's playing with pettersson or miller i don't see how he's going to get top six minutes

the depth is good and their 3rd and 4th lines will be above average but i don't believe you can substitute quantity for quality when it comes to nhl minutes and offensive production

i can't believe you don't

maybe i'm sleeping on heinen, debrusk and sprong but those are flawed players that were available for a reason. i just don't see how a team relying on those 3 to be productive is in a good spot

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
The nice thing about that forward roster is that there is no player that needs to show more than he’s already proven in order to be competitive. There’s no “if so and so can do x…”. They are highly competitive even if no one takes a step. Now, if one or two players do raise their level and EP is EP then…

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
What is your definition of a strong forward group?

3 PPG scorers (Miller Pettersson Boeser) 2 of which are top25 NHL players followed by a top50 5v5 scorer in (Garland) and then 6 forwards (Debrusk Heinen Hoglander Sprong Joshua Sherwood) who were in the top190 which by very definition puts them into the top6 of NHL forwards last season in 5v5 production. Even Suter Blueger offer proven top9 production and quality utility and Raty has shown quality upside.

Weird take

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I get credulous' point. Elite talent always trumps depth. Canucks have Boeser, and he's coming off a health scare, and DeBrusk, who has been nothing more than an adequate top-6 producer, then a bunch of guys who are good complimentary players but aren't threats. Like last season, I don't think this is a deep forward group but a wide one. Granted, part of that is you expect the two-top six centres to buoy most of the offense (and obviously that comes with concerns over Pettersson) and be two legitimate #1 centres.

I'm also not concerned since offensive players are usually pretty easy to add during the trade deadline.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
What is your definition of a strong forward group?

3 PPG scorers (Miller Pettersson Boeser) 2 of which are top25 NHL players followed by a top50 5v5 scorer in (Garland) and then 6 forwards (Debrusk Heinen Hoglander Sprong Joshua Sherwood) who were in the top190 which by very definition puts them into the top6 of NHL forwards last season in 5v5 production. Even Suter Blueger offer proven top9 production and quality utility and Raty has shown quality upside.

Weird take

i mean dallas, florida, toronto, vegas and colorado (if they get one or both of nicushkin and landeskog back) all look way better up front to me, right?

vancouver are in the next tier down with a ton of teams like jersey, the rangers, ottawa, carolina, boston, tampa, winnipeg, blah blah blah

vancouver might look better on paper because they have ringers like hoglander and suter on the 4th line but all that means is some of the forwards on the roster are going to underwhelm because they won't get opportunity. meanwhile they're going to have to give high leverage minutes to someone like debrusk or heinen or sherwood because they have such a steep drop off from miller, boeser and pettersson to their next best forward

i fully recognize it's not this easy but wouldn't you prefer to see guentzel and insert-min-salary-guy-here over garland and debrusk on this roster? that'd give them two very good centers and two very good wingers. lindholm was underwhelming here but that was the right idea too allowing them to shift one of the 3 centers to the wing and ensure you had 4 very good players to deploy on the top two lines

the way things are now i expect miller and boeser will be fine regardless of who they play with and will perform fine but pettersson is going to underwhelm again because he'll be stuck with subpar wings and the team is going to need back to back career years from garland and joshua on the 3rd line to tread water

and i'm not being critical of management here. i think they did a reasonably good job given their circumstances. i kind of cringe at the term debrusk got and i'm slightly skeptical joshua will live up to his deal but it's hard to argue with the heinen, sprong or sherwood contracts. they didn't have the assets to make a trade and no one really moved that would have be an improvement anyways. but people aren't saying the forward group is as good as you can expect. they're saying it's one of the strongest in the league. i don't get it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad