GDT: Canucks Training Camp Thread | DAY 04

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Sprong really is an awful player to watch. Wouldn’t surprise me if he doesn’t make this team. Heinen looked fantastic and fits like a glove on the Miller line.
Agreed on Sprong. I think PDG makes the opening line up over Sprong. He really does look very float-y out there.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Am i the only one impressed by Riley Patterson? obviously a little overmatched in pace but smart good stick good skater some clever subtle plays over the course of camp and youngstars

Reactions: andora and wonton15

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Probably should take away zero from that. But some impressions.

Hughes Garland, Soucy, Boeser, Silvos and Hoglander looked ready to go. Neither Pettersson or Miller put in much effort IMO.

Of the new guys:

Desharnais showed decent range (which was the main worry) and was efficient moving puck out of his end. Plays like that and he will help.

Sherwood got good heat on the puck on the forecheck

DeBrusk looked ordinary.

Blais never really got into the play. Say the same for Sprong and Karlsson

Forbert was steady. Kept it very simple and moved puck rather then skate with it. Good job of breaking up plays along the boards at his blue line

Patera did not look good on the first goal.

Of the Young players

Patterson little trouble with the pace. Not hard imagining him being a mid level NHL winger in a couple of years.

Krdryavtsev was another who seemed to be able to play within himself at this pace. Used skating to create space and was immediate with his passes when the puck came to him. Good anticpation.

Klimovich - really not bad. Set up a couple of chances and showed speed at times. Maybe overpassing in some situations but moved puck well through the neutral zone. Decision making always a concern but did show some offensive potential.

Woo - thought there was some assertion in his game. Jumped up to keep puck in o-zone and maintained good defensive positioning. Maybe taking some steps.

Alriksson - showed he still has a long way to go. Feet got tangled at times. Used size a couple of times which was good to see.

Lekkermaki - not nearly enough in the play. Looked like he was feeling his way.

Bains - always shows something that gives some hope but too helter skelter.

Mueller - likely should have scored, Plays like this and could help Abby.

Young - has had a better camp that expected.

This was just more step along the way but as things add it becomes clearer about whose in and whose out of the line up and who is progressing and who isn't.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Is his trade demand still on? Last year he was saying that for the first time in his career, he was on a good competitive team, and he seemed happy. Why would he want to risk going to another bad team, unless he is really not liking being here.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
I wonder if he might get an A and be part of the leadership team going forward.
It feels like it, but they have a lot of A candidates. Maybe they’ll rotate them for home and away games.

Miller/Boeser
Myers

Pettersson/Garland
Hronek

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Best news about this nondescript team scrimmage was Silovs, who appears to be in mid-season form. That run in the playoffs last season may have done wonders for his development. And it's apparent the team loves playing in front of 'Arty'.

He's almost exactly the same size as Demko, but younger and more athletic. Still a chance he could silence all the worriers and critics to start the season. But fortunately they now have Lankinen as a capable backup until Demko is ready to go.

I guess they can deal with the 'goalie logjam' then. But occurs to me that the Canucks are loading up on veterans like Lankinen, Sprong, Forbort, Suter and maybe even Blais on affordable one-year deals. They could be valuable trade-chips at the TDL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad