Confirmed with Link: Canucks Trade W Vasily Podkolzin to Oilers for 2025 4th (OTT)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
This is it, really. While he could be a late bloomer, nothing suggests he's going to be anything beyond a fourth line grinder/energy forward which are a dime a dozen.

For all the criticism people tossed at Baines and Karlsson, myself included, both have widely outperformed Pod down in the AHL. Hard to argue he deserves a spot over one of them if even they make it. Raty is also looking like he's ready for a look.

The NHL is a big step up and for now there's nothing to indicate that Bains and Karlsson are NHL players. Every team has "prospects" like them in the system but at the same time I think it's a good idea to see what we have because if they are any good we're not likely to acquire them. Look at all the players that we discussed picking up on waivers. How many of them did we really miss out on? Heck, we got a 4th for a player where "nothing suggests he's going to be anything beyond a fourth line grinder/energy forward." A better perceived prospect is going to cost more to acquire.

The thing is that Bains and Karlsson probably won't be full time NHLers as 4th line players. Their AHL performance vis a vis Pods really doesn't matter. Similar to my criticisms of Aman, if you're not producing offensively you're not going to last long in the NHL being a passive low event player. Pods had 71 hits in 19 games. Bains has 7 hits in 8 games. Karlsson had 3 hits in 4. Pods also has far better takeaway stats. These things are going to matter when you combine that with Pods high motor and size (the guy is heavy). It's not like Pods is a plug either.

Reactions: LemonSauceD

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The NHL is a big step up and for now there's nothing to indicate that Bains and Karlsson are NHL players. Every team has "prospects" like them in the system but at the same time I think it's a good idea to see what we have because if they are any good we're not likely to acquire them. Look at all the players that we discussed picking up on waivers. How many of them did we really miss out on? Heck, we got a 4th for a player where "nothing suggests he's going to be anything beyond a fourth line grinder/energy forward." A better perceived prospect is going to cost more to acquire.

The thing is that Bains and Karlsson probably won't be full time NHLers as 4th line players. Their AHL performance vis a vis Pods really doesn't matter. Similar to my criticisms of Aman, if you're not producing offensively you're not going to last long in the NHL being a passive low event player. Pods had 71 hits in 19 games. Bains has 7 hits in 8 games. Karlsson had 3 hits in 4. Pods also has far better takeaway stats. These things are going to matter when you combine that with Pods high motor and size (the guy is heavy). It's not like Pods is a plug either.
The problem is that Podkolzin has aged out as a prospect--and would have needed waivers to send him to Abbotsford. Before he was dealt, Podz was no better than the 15th forward on the Canucks depth chart.

They could have plunked him in the press-box for 25-30 games or risked putting him waivers in hopes that he'd clear (he wouldn't have) The reality is they just ran out of runway with this player. And a fourth rounder is better than losing him on waivers for nothing.

Maybe he is better than prospects like Raty, Sasson, Lekkerimaki, Bains and Karlsson. But then again, maybe not. But like a lot of former top-10 draft picks he'll get another shot at proving everyone wrong in Edmonton.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The problem is that Podkolzin has aged out as a prospect--and would have needed waivers to send him to Abbotsford. Before he was dealt, Podz was no better than the 15th forward on the Canucks depth chart.

They could have plunked him in the press-box for 25-30 games or risked putting him waivers in hopes that he'd clear (he wouldn't have) The reality is they just ran out of runway with this player. And a fourth rounder is better than losing him on waivers for nothing.

Maybe he is better than prospects like Raty, Sasson, Lekkerimaki, Bains and Karlsson. But then again, maybe not. But like a lot of former top-10 draft picks he'll get another shot at proving everyone wrong in Edmonton.

Nobody here is arguing that management didn't make a decision on Pods. They obviously thought that there wasn't enough upside there and that there was a risk of him being placed on waivers. That's where pro scouting comes in. Maybe management is right about the player maybe they are wrong. I just disagree with the decision.

Waiver and Group VI UFA rules are there so teams can't bury young players in the AHL. Gillis, for example, looked for players like Pods who might be available through waivers or through trade. It's one way to add a younger player to the roster. A lot of it comes down to the coach. Our own Heinen had zero offers aside from a PTO with Boston last year and was given an opportunity by a coach who believed in him (his former coach from college).

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
Interestingly, looking at the Oilers' current roster, Podz is the youngest guy, the average age is 30.27. McDavid and Draisatl are the only other forwards in their 20s. Obviously there is a lot of room for improvement, I'm guessing they use their cap space for another F & D, but with guys like Connor Brown, Mattias Janmark, Derek Ryan and Corey Perry in the bottom 6 mix, and questions around the Kane and Arvidsson injuries, Podkolzin might have a decent shot of making the squad. I don't really see him as an NHL-calibre player at this point, but unless the Oilers can shore up their forward depth, he might end up dressed for a lot of games if he makes the team out of training camp. This could be his best shot to show.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Interestingly, looking at the Oilers' current roster, Podz is the youngest guy, the average age is 30.27. McDavid and Draisatl are the only other forwards in their 20s. Obviously there is a lot of room for improvement, I'm guessing they use their cap space for another F & D, but with guys like Connor Brown, Mattias Janmark, Derek Ryan and Corey Perry in the bottom 6 mix, and questions around the Kane and Arvidsson injuries, Podkolzin might have a decent shot of making the squad. I don't really see him as an NHL-calibre player at this point, but unless the Oilers can shore up their forward depth, he might end up dressed for a lot of games if he makes the team out of training camp. This could be his best shot to show.

They have horrid forward and D depth. But they can ice McDavid, Draisaitl, Hyman, Ekholm and Bouchard in one shift. That's their annoying trick.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Their hope is that Pods can replace Holloway right? If that's the case they get Holloway + 4th for Pods +3rd + slight gain in cap space (had they signed Holloway before the offer sheet).

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
If Podz makes Edmonton's top 13, what does that say about their depth relative to ours?
They're better on the high-end and we're better on the low-end; normally I'd go with the former but now it'll come down to defence (we're both suspect but I like our edge a bit better) and goaltending (we used to have a edge...we'll see).

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If Podz makes Edmonton's top 13, what does that say about their depth relative to ours?
Unless Podz has some sort of training camp breakthrough in Edmonton, I'd agree that it isn't a good look if he actually becomes their 13th forward. Put it this way--if he was trying to break into last year's Oilers lineup in the bottom six, he wouldn't have a prayer.

But Edmonton has lost of a size and speed this off-season--and their bottom six looks pretty shaky to me. I suppose they'll win their share of games with McDavid and Draisaitl in the primes. But if either guy were to go down, this team might fall off a cliff in the Western Conference.

Reactions: Hammer79

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Nobody here is arguing that management didn't make a decision on Pods. They obviously thought that there wasn't enough upside there and that there was a risk of him being placed on waivers. That's where pro scouting comes in. Maybe management is right about the player maybe they are wrong. I just disagree with the decision.

Waiver and Group VI UFA rules are there so teams can't bury young players in the AHL. Gillis, for example, looked for players like Pods who might be available through waivers or through trade. It's one way to add a younger player to the roster. A lot of it comes down to the coach. Our own Heinen had zero offers aside from a PTO with Boston last year and was given an opportunity by a coach who believed in him (his former coach from college).
You seem pretty invested in this. Is this about the 10th overall pick in the 2019 draft or is it maybe more about he who made said pick?

Reactions: Nick Lang

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
You seem pretty invested in this. Is this about the 10th overall pick in the 2019 draft or is it maybe more about he who made said pick?

Does it matter? I don't know Pods personally if that's what you're asking. As for who made the said pick, Pods was the consensus pick of Brackett and the scouting staff so I'm not sure there's much we can do here if you want to assign blame except replace the scouts involved (which kind of did happen).

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I suppose trading Podz to a division rival was a shock to some, but for Podkolzin it was a huge favor. He has a shot at a bottom-six forward position on a pretty decent hockey team.

If the Canucks had retained him, and then exposed him to waivers after training camp, undoubtedly he'd have ended up on some rebuilding team like the Sharks, Ducks or the Jackets. And that may still happen, if he can't make the Oilers. But at least they'll give him a better shot at sticking than the Canucks would have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad