Confirmed with Link: Canucks Trade W Vasily Podkolzin to Oilers for 2025 4th (OTT)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
As the saying goes, the player is worth more to the team than in trade.

Not saying that Pods is worth much to the team at this point but teams usually keep former first round draft picks who can play a bottom 6 role rather than dump him for what is expected to be a low 4th round pick. A 4th round pick is very much a lottery ticket anyways. If they end up placing the player on waivers on losing him then so be it. Like Lias Andersson was moved for a 2nd round pick. Logan Brown was moved for a Sanford (a useful player) and a conditional 4th. Owen Tippett couldn't score when he was in Florida. I mean ya a 4th round pick can get you an established bottom 6 player but you can also sign them for free (which we did this summer).

Pods's main issue is his finishing ability and his tendency to overthink the game. But the guy never stops working. He had 71 hits in 19 games last season in his limited minutes. If you want him to play a physical grinding game next season to stay in the lineup 100% the guy is willing to do that.
A low 4th round pick... Where do you think the Senators are going to finish this season? Perhaps you should look at what's actually been done before going off on an emotionally invested rant.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Seem obvious now that Holloway and Broberg are history, that the Oilers see Podkolzin as a younger, cheaper replacement for Holloway on the third and fourth lines. And with the money they save, they can go out at some point this season and upgrade their blueline.

Hard to say whether it'll work or not, but that's the dice you have to end up rolling when you're up against the salary cap. Not sure or not whether the Blues actually made history. Has one NHL franchise ever 'offer-sheeted' two players on the same team, and ever ended up landing them both?

Reactions: Indiana

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
I would include Lekkerimaki .... If he makes the team, it allows for someone to get bumped down the lineup with less of a logjam.
I didn't include Lekk because I see him as competing for a very different role (top 6 shooter) than Pod, whereas Bains, Raty and Sasson offer a somewhat comparable set of assets and bottom 6 utility.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I didn't include Lekk because I see him as competing for a very different role (top 6 shooter) than Pod, whereas Bains, Raty and Sasson offer a somewhat comparable set of assets and bottom 6 utility.
I figured, but this may make it easier to keep him up.

A low 4th round pick... Where do you think the Senators are going to finish this season? Perhaps you should look at what's actually been done before going off on an emotionally invested rant.
hmmmm - does a low 4th round pick mean early or late in the round? He may have been meaning a late round pick, but not really thinking the sens have improved that much.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Sad to see Podz go, but realistically, there was just no opening for him in this Vancouver lineup. We all tend to view prospects in terms of their draft position and all the scouting reports about their 'potential'. But the sad fact Podkolzin was drafted in 2019 and it's now 2024. He's aged out as a prospect and has been passed by guys who have more potential as NHL players.

Obviously when the Canucks signed him to a two-year, $1m contract, it was really a 'show me' deal. And when they signed a flock of UFA wingers this off-season, the writing was on the wall.

Still, it is depressing when a top-10 pick basically flops. It was painful when Juolevi did a faceplant, when the next guy picked in that draft was Matthew Tkachuk. And Podz was picked instead of guys like Boldy or Caulfield. For a team like the Canucks--which over the years have traded so many draft picks for failed prospects, it borders on disastrous when you pick guys in the top-10 who basically can't play for you.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Sad to see Podz go, but realistically, there was just no opening for him in this Vancouver lineup. We all tend to view prospects in terms of their draft position and all the scouting reports about their 'potential'. But the sad fact Podkolzin was drafted in 2019 and it's now 2024. He's aged out as a prospect and has been passed by guys who have more potential as NHL players.

Obviously when the Canucks signed him to a two-year, $1m contract, it was really a 'show me' deal. And when they signed a flock of UFA wingers this off-season, the writing was on the wall.

Still, it is depressing when a top-10 pick basically flops. It was painful when Juolevi did a faceplant, when the next guy picked in that draft was Matthew Tkachuk. And Podz was picked instead of guys like Boldy or Caulfield. For a team like the Canucks--which over the years have traded so many draft picks for failed prospects, it borders on disastrous when you pick guys in the top-10 who basically can't play for you.
192 min of NHL play and then the team parachutes in 2 or 3 4th liners.
Which prospect passed him by? Did the team have so many they can afford to give up on any?
IMO he was Russian, that's' all.
I bet Klimovich is next as he will never get a shot with Tocchet.

The optics are that the Canucks are starting to look like eastern European bigots.

Allvin and Rutherford look more incompetent with these transactions, give aways.

• Haha
Reactions: Iron Mike Sharpe

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Looks like at this point the move was probably driven by the need to open up cap/contract to add another NHL goalie. Could afford to lose a winger.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
What a disappointing end to Podkolzin's time in Vancouver. I always thought he would put it together eventually under Tocchet but his utility as a young, cheap player that can move up and down from the farm has come to an end and he's not currently better than other players that can be found on the free agent market. It won't surprise me at all to see Podkolzin score 20 goals in a year or two but I'm okay moving on now if it mean we can continue to mine value from players like Sherwood and Sprong.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
192 min of NHL play and then the team parachutes in 2 or 3 4th liners.
Which prospect passed him by? Did the team have so many they can afford to give up on any?
IMO he was Russian, that's' all.
I bet Klimovich is next as he will never get a shot with Tocchet.

The optics are that the Canucks are starting to look like eastern European bigots.

Allvin and Rutherford look more incompetent with these transactions, give aways.
Sorry, but right now Bains, Sasson, Karlsson, Lekkerimaki and even Raty are better prospects than Podz. And they're all likely heading back to the AHL for another year.

What sealed it for Podkolzin wasn't how he played in Vancouver; but how he played in Abbotsford. He should have gone back and dominated in that league, but it just didn't happen. And because he was subject to waivers this year, they'd have lost him for nothing anyway.

I suppose they could have waited until after training camp in the hopes of trading him for something better than a fourth round draft pick. But other teams in the league are only too aware of other team's waiver problems. And they won't give up much for a guy they know is going to be exposed to waivers anyway.

The notion that the Canucks are 'anti-Russian' is a load of hooey. They desperately tried to re-up Zaddorov after trading for him, but couldn't make the numbers work. As for Mikheyev, Kuzmenko and Podkolzin, in the end they just weren't good enough and far too expensive for what they delivered.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Hoglander's PPG rate in the AHL was the same as Grabner's, to put things in perspective.

I mean you can blame injuries on Podkolzin but that development time doesn't come back. 6 games is a tiny tiny sample too. What about the hojillion games when he was meh
Not sure that it does put things into perspective. Grabner scored 30 goals at age 21 followed by a strong playoffs (10 in 20). Grabner was definitely developing and trending up. The Hoglander comparison was made because PDG had better offensive production than Hoglander at the AHL in 22-23. Lane Pederson had 17 goals in 18 games. We all saw what happened in 23-24. It's not a reliable comparison.

My apologies. I kept thinking it was Edmonton's own pick but I'm not sure what you mean by "look at what's actually been done" You mean the difference between Edmonton's expected pick and Ottawa's expected pick should change anyone's opinion here?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
its a pretty sane take

ignore the draft position he was taken at and look at the body of NHL work/AHL production

a 4th might be generous

A player's draft position shouldn't be completely thrown out the door though if the player still has potential. Like what was McCann worth when the Panthers traded him? What was Sam Bennett worth when the Flames traded him? Tage Thompson in the summer before he turned 23? Barbashev? Zacha? Sedins were certainly not showing signs they were "front-line players" at age 22 or 23. What were they worth at the time?

There's also utility in younger players. Like Sam Steel never blossomed into a star and was written off but he was very good for Dallas.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Sorry, but right now Bains, Sasson, Karlsson, Lekkerimaki and even Raty are better prospects than Podz. And they're all likely heading back to the AHL for another year.

What sealed it for Podkolzin wasn't how he played in Vancouver; but how he played in Abbotsford. He should have gone back and dominated in that league, but it just didn't happen. And because he was subject to waivers this year, they'd have lost him for nothing anyway.

This you in May?

I'm baffled as well.....in terms of the Abbotsford callups, I'd rate Podkolzin as a clear #1; Bains at #2 and Karlsson at #3. But I guess Karlsson is replacing another guy Tocchet seems obsessed with--PDG.

• Haha
Reactions: F A N

kaczor

Jul 3, 2005
NZ
I am gutted, really like the kid.
Yes, it would have been hard for him to crack the line-up, but to dump him for a 4th (and to the Oilers!) hurts. Thought he'd have more value....
Pretty bummed by this, ngl.

Reactions: Indiana and F A N

Caspian

Jun 3, 2006
A player's draft position shouldn't be completely thrown out the door though if the player still has potential. Like what was McCann worth when the Panthers traded him? What was Sam Bennett worth when the Flames traded him? Tage Thompson in the summer before he turned 23? Barbashev? Zacha? Sedins were certainly not showing signs they were "front-line players" at age 22 or 23. What were they worth at the time?

There's also utility in younger players. Like Sam Steel never blossomed into a star and was written off but he was very good for Dallas.

aside from Barbashev literally all of those players were NHL regulars by age 22. Tage Thompson didnt play a full season in 2020-21 cause of a shoulder injury that kept him out most of the year

Podz had 2 pts in 19 NHL games and 18 pts in 28 AHL games as a 22 yr old.

one of these things is not like the other one

Reactions: racerjoe

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Hope Podkolzin gets to play with McSaviour or Draisaitl wherehe can score 25-30 goals
Oilers have now lost both Holloway and McLeod. If they think Podkolzin is going to come in and replace their production--then as Brian Burke used to say: "God bless 'em and Good Luck".

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
aside from Barbashev literally all of those players were NHL regulars by age 22. Tage Thompson didnt play a full season in 2020-21 cause of a shoulder injury that kept him out most of the year

Podz had 2 pts in 19 NHL games and 18 pts in 28 AHL games as a 22 yr old.

one of these things is not like the other one

I would agree that NHL experience matters. A 23 year old player with 3 full NHL seasons under his belt is more likely to break out when he's 24 then a player who has spent half of it in the AHL.

In 2020-21 Tage Thompson would have been in his 23 year old season (~same age as Pods). Grabner wan't a full time NHL regular by age 22 either. Regardless, Pods played a full season in the NHL at age 20. Pods was sent down after getting injured in a fight and not looking very good. He could have easily been a full time NHL player last year and this year but I don't think that changes your argument?

I just don't think we can rule out Pods at this time.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
The notion that the Canucks are 'anti-Russian' is a load of hooey. They desperately tried to re-up Zaddorov after trading for him, but couldn't make the numbers work. As for Mikheyev, Kuzmenko and Podkolzin, in the end they just weren't good enough and far too expensive for what they delivered.
Well isn't it odd that only the Russians and OEL have been traded for losses or maybe too low a value then?

275K. Zadorov difference in contract. They would have had ALL summer to find that space or just not sign a player. 29 yr old monster dman, fastest skater on the team, more hits per game than any other dman, 275K? Really? No player readily available to replace him?

Too expensive?
Kuz - 2 seasons - 61g 59A 120 pts. - 10 mil - $83,333 per pt
BB - last 2 seasons - 58g 70A 128 pts - 13.3 mil - $103,900/pt
CG - last 2 seasons - 37g 57A 94 pts - 9.9 mil - $106,380 /pt
And that is with Kuz learning a whole new system and group.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Well isn't it odd that only the Russians and OEL have been traded for losses or maybe too low a value then?

275K. Zadorov difference in contract. They would have had ALL summer to find that space or just not sign a player. 29 yr old monster dman, fastest skater on the team, more hits per game than any other dman, 275K? Really? No player readily available to replace him?

Too expensive?
Kuz - 2 seasons - 61g 59A 120 pts. - 10 mil - $83,333 per pt
BB - last 2 seasons - 58g 70A 128 pts - 13.3 mil - $103,900/pt
CG - last 2 seasons - 37g 57A 94 pts - 9.9 mil - $106,380 /pt
And that is with Kuz learning a whole new system and group.
Zadorov was less about the AAV and more about his term and lack of consistency as a player. Before the playoffs, he wasn't that great for us and we couldn't risk him turning back into a pumpkin.

Kuzmenko can't play defence, doesn't skate hard, and was useless on offence in Tocchet's system.
Boeser had a career season and was our playoff MVP.
Garland plays in different circumstances than Kuzmenko did and while streaky does bring a level of energy and self-sufficient scoring that Kuzmenko has never demonstrated.

I would agree that NHL experience matters. A 23 year old player with 3 full NHL seasons under his belt is more likely to break out when he's 24 then a player who has spent half of it in the AHL.

In 2020-21 Tage Thompson would have been in his 23 year old season (~same age as Pods). Grabner wan't a full time NHL regular by age 22 either. Regardless, Pods played a full season in the NHL at age 20. Pods was sent down after getting injured in a fight and not looking very good. He could have easily been a full time NHL player last year and this year but I don't think that changes your argument?

I just don't think we can rule out Pods at this time.
What has Podkolzin done since his rookie season in the NHL that makes you think he has value on an NHL roster?

Reactions: Iron Mike Sharpe

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
My apologies. I kept thinking it was Edmonton's own pick but I'm not sure what you mean by "look at what's actually been done" You mean the difference between Edmonton's expected pick and Ottawa's expected pick should change anyone's opinion here?
Your posts show a typical lack of knowledge and attention to detail. Getting stuff like the details of a trade wrong doesn't give one faith that your player evaluation is any less prone to error.

As for the pick, a 15 to 20 spot difference doesn't tend to be massive once you get to the later rounds but it does give the team the option to trade down and a high 4th versus a low 4th could help swing something like a Poolman deal to free up cap space.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Seem obvious now that Holloway and Broberg are history, that the Oilers see Podkolzin as a younger, cheaper replacement for Holloway on the third and fourth lines. And with the money they save, they can go out at some point this season and upgrade their blueline.

Hard to say whether it'll work or not, but that's the dice you have to end up rolling when you're up against the salary cap. Not sure or not whether the Blues actually made history. Has one NHL franchise ever 'offer-sheeted' two players on the same team, and ever ended up landing them both?
Podz is older...by 3 months but older.

Reactions: Vector

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
What has Podkolzin done since his rookie season in the NHL that makes you think he has value on an NHL roster?
It's not about what he has done but what he can do. f you actually followed on the discussions (small sample size): his GA/60 is one of the best on the team. He has good possession stats and he has team leading hits per 60 stats and good takeway stats as well.

We're talking about whether he's good enough to be kept on the roster not gifting him a top 6 role.

Your posts show a typical lack of knowledge and attention to detail. Getting stuff like the details of a trade wrong doesn't give one faith that your player evaluation is any less prone to error.

Oh no. I'm sorry but I don't know of any faith healers. We do have a Reverend here. Maybe he can :help: ?

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

This is it, really. While he could be a late bloomer, nothing suggests he's going to be anything beyond a fourth line grinder/energy forward which are a dime a dozen.

For all the criticism people tossed at Baines and Karlsson, myself included, both have widely outperformed Pod down in the AHL. Hard to argue he deserves a spot over one of them if even they make it. Raty is also looking like he's ready for a look.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad